Year 7 – Lesson 5 – Internet services
This lesson explores the internet, its services, and the World Wide Web. Learners will understand the difference between the internet and the World Wide Web and how each came about. They will understand that the activity on the internet in a single minute is quite staggering. Through an ‘Internet minute’ exercise, learners will also understand that many different services are provided across the internet. Email and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) will be explained. The term ‘Internet of Things (IoT)’ will be explored. Learners will understand that the internet can be integrated into anything to make it smarter. Learners will discuss the predicted growth of this area and review smart home IoT devices. Learners will discuss the advantages of IoT, as well as the disadvantages, focussing on privacy and security.
- Explain the difference between the internet, its services, and the World Wide Web
- Describe how services are provided over the internet
- List some of these services and the context in which they are used
- Explain the term ‘connectivity’ as the capacity for connected devices (‘Internet of Things’) to collect and share information about me with or without my knowledge (including microphones, cameras, and geolocation)
- Describe how internet-connected devices can affect me
- Lesson plans
- Slide decks
- Learner resources
Don't have an account?
Enjoyed teaching these lessons? Found a mistake?
Fill in a short form to give feedback on these resources.