rahlquist

Re: Annotate, any hope for future changes?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 pm

6by9 wrote: Great - I like a satisfied customer! :)
Count me in that lot, you need a bloody tip jar, so a guy can give you a couple quid, to enjoy a refreshing beverage of your choosing!

I updated to the latest firmware and everything is nice and stable no more jumping size. I dropped silvanmelchior a note in the raspimjpeg thread ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=61771 ) and he said he would likely have time next month to get his code updated to give support for your new features. So all in all things are shaping up nicely.

Thanks again for your continued support 6by9!

btidey

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:09 am

Just a thanks, 6by9, for the start_x update. I wasn't suffering the flickering myself with raspimjpeg, but a few RPi Cam Web users who were have now updated and are enjoying the fix.

I have now added v2 / v3 option into raspimjpeg with custom text size, colour and background and that all seems to work as expected.

Hopefully this will work its way into standard distribution in the not too distant future.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:12 am

btidey wrote:Hopefully this will work its way into standard distribution in the not too distant future.
Glad you're happy. It's already in the update you'll get if you do sudo rpi-update, so I'll take my ELF down.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

btidey

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 pm

6by9 wrote:
btidey wrote:Hopefully this will work its way into standard distribution in the not too distant future.
Glad you're happy. It's already in the update you'll get if you do sudo rpi-update, so I'll take my ELF down.
Is there any way to check that? Somebody has said that didn't work for them. Is the rpi-update start_x.elf the one on the hexxeh site? That was updated 4 days ago but refers to just a stereoscopic update.

6by9

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:09 pm

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... 6bac676cba

Code: Select all

firmware: dispmanx: Add stereoscopic flags to transform

firmware: Fix MMAL annotate V3 handling
See: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=97929

firmware: arm_loader: Populate DT with HAT vendor info

firmware: arm_loader: Support boolean parameters and '.dtbo' extensions
See: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=93015&start=325#p716663

kernel: config: Remove CONFIG_USB_UAS as it does not work
See: raspberrypi/linux#875

kernel: Add support for 3.5 display by tinylcd.com
See: raspberrypi/linux#880
That second line would be the fix.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

btidey

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:29 pm

After some more testing with v3 annotation (under raspimjpeg) everything seems to be working except I can't seem to change UV values for custom text.

custom_text_Y works as expected and changes the brightness but custom_text_U and custom_text_custom_text_V seem to have no effect.

The custom background values do all work and I can change the colour of that.

I have updated to latest via rpi-update.

6by9

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:51 pm

btidey wrote:After some more testing with v3 annotation (under raspimjpeg) everything seems to be working except I can't seem to change UV values for custom text.

custom_text_Y works as expected and changes the brightness but custom_text_U and custom_text_custom_text_V seem to have no effect.

The custom background values do all work and I can change the colour of that.

I have updated to latest via rpi-update.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 50#p705229
Text colour really is just too scary, particularly when it is doing alpha blended blits rather than over a nice filled colour. I could spend a long time on it and still not get it right. It will stay on my list, but not very far up.
It made more sense to add the fields even though they do nothing at the moment, otherwise we'd end up with a V4 structure and everyone having to update clients again.

tgwaste

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi,
Any way to make the background semi-transparent?

6by9

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:26 pm

tgwaste wrote: Any way to make the background semi-transparent?
No.
I'm just doing a fill (ie memset) before the text is written. I don't believe I have an easily available function to do a transparent fill, which is a significantly more complex operation.

Brad.Cagle

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:17 pm

6by9 wrote:
tgwaste wrote: Any way to make the background semi-transparent?
No.
I'm just doing a fill (ie memset) before the text is written. I don't believe I have an easily available function to do a transparent fill, which is a significantly more complex operation.
Actually it's very simple all you need to do is blend the Y channel.

So for the background Y plane use something like this: (Note for simplicity this will just do a 50% opacity.)
void blend_fill(void *s, unsigned char c, size_t n) {
unsigned char *y = (unsigned char*)s;
int blend = 0;
while(n--) {
blend = (*y + c) / 2;
*y = blend;
y++;
}
}

And for U & V just keep using memset();

Elliott B

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:45 am

Is there any way to align / justify the annotation left or right instead of center?

6by9

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am

Elliott B wrote:
Is there any way to align / justify the annotation left or right instead of center?
Not currently.
It all becomes a little complicated as people generally don't want the text hard up against the left/right edge, but a small border. By the time you've added that in as well, that probably wants to be configurable. And then some other request, and before you know it the trivial change has become several days worth of work.
I'll see what I can do, but it won't be a priority.

6by9

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am
Elliott B wrote:
Not currently.
It all becomes a little complicated as people generally don't want the text hard up against the left/right edge, but a small border. By the time you've added that in as well, that probably wants to be configurable. And then some other request, and before you know it the trivial change has become several days worth of work.
I'll see what I can do, but it won't be a priority.
You're in luck. I was waiting for a kernel build to complete so had a fiddle (it was either that or https://www.xkcd.com/303/)
With the next release via rpi-update there should be a MMAL_PARAMETER_CAMERA_ANNOTATE_V4_t that includes 3 extra fields - justify, x_offset, and y_offset. justify 0=centre, 1=left, and 2=right. x_offset will shift the left and right justified text that many pixels away from the left/right edge. y_offset will shift the whole text block down.

Elliott B

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:05 am

That's great! Is it possible to use this yet? I see the code changes on GitHub, but I did rpi-update today and I don't think they've included it in the release yet.
I checked on my system after the update

/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal/mmal_parameters_camera.h
and it does not show those settings.
So I guess I would have to compile mmal myself if rpi-update hasn't updated the release. Not sure how to do that. And after that, does the picamera python code need to be updated to set these parameters too?

6by9

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 am

Elliott B wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:05 am
That's great! Is it possible to use this yet? I see the code changes on GitHub, but I did rpi-update today and I don't think they've included it in the release yet.
I checked on my system after the update

/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal/mmal_parameters_camera.h
and it does not show those settings.
So I guess I would have to compile mmal myself if rpi-update hasn't updated the release. Not sure how to do that. And after that, does the picamera python code need to be updated to set these parameters too?
I would have expected those headers to have been updated seeing as it is in https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... 2ec1890485

Build userland

git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland
cd userland
sudo apt install cmake
./buildme
Picamera doesn't support it at the moment - I've created https://github.com/waveform80/picamera/issues/519 so that waveform80 is aware of it and may add it in a future version.

Elliott B

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:00 am

6by9 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 am
Build userland

git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland
cd userland
sudo apt install cmake
./buildme
Picamera doesn't support it at the moment - I've created https://github.com/waveform80/picamera/issues/519 so that waveform80 is aware of it and may add it in a future version.
Thanks for your help!

Return to “Camera board”