idontlikelinux

Install other images in NOOBS

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:38 am

Given that as of NOOBS v1.3.10 (September 2014), only Raspbian comes packaged with NOOBS, are there any instructions for including the other images on the SD card?

I have a big enough SD card, I don't want to do internet installs. The individual OS images are available, what i need are some instructions of how to put these images under the sdcard\os folder.

beta-tester

Re: Install other images in NOOBS

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:20 am

yes, you can prepare the NOOBS installation folders, by downloading the os you need/want from here
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/

e.g. for OpenELEC:
1. copy NOOBS (or NOOBY-Lite) to your SD card as usual.

2. open browser and navigate to http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/
3. because you want to have OpenELEC, follow the link openelec (http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/openelec/).
4. from there download the all the files - but not their subfolders
both *.tar.xz, *.json, *.sh, *.png, *.txt, marketing.tar (this last tar is optional it only contains the pictures that will appear during installation the os)

5. change on the NOOBS SD card to folder /os and create a subfolder openelec (same name as it is on the http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/ website)
copy all just downloaded files into that new created subfolder
extract the /slider_vga folder from inside the marketing.tar file and put its content to /os/openelec/slider_vga folder on your SD card...

if you are not shure, what files you need for an installation-preparation, take a look to http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/os_list.json, there are all needed files listed.

add all needed os you want like this, and you will have a NOOBS with all needed preloaded os on the SD card, you can use Offline without internet on your RPi.

BTW: NOOBS 1.3.11 with a updated preinstaled Raspbian is available since 2014-12-24.

for more advanced users, if you want to create a custom os for NOOBS, follow these steps:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs#ho ... os-version
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm

idontlikelinux wrote:Given that as of NOOBS v1.3.10 (September 2014), only Raspbian comes packaged with NOOBS, are there any instructions for including the other images on the SD card?
What are you trying to install?

With NOOBS if you wire your RPi directly to your home router you can install all of the other supported OSes.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:14 pm

With NOOBS if you wire your RPi directly to your home router you can install all of the other supported OSes.
That's what he is trying to avoid. Did you even pretend to read the OP?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:21 pm

It may be easier to just ditch NOBS and go with *.img files written to a collection of SDCards. Full fat NOBS which should be renamed "NOBS almost lite" is about as useful as NOBS lite if folks can't or won't wire their Raspberry Pis directly to their routers for the initial install.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Is "Full Fat NOOBS" still available for download? I know it is no longer the default (so newbs generally won't see or get it), but is it around somewhere? (I don't know the answer to this question…)

My assumption is that the whole point of this thread is how to re-construct "FFNOOBS", on the assumption that it is no longer publicly available. If it *is* publicly available, then this thread is moot.

DirkS

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Is "Full Fat NOOBS" still available for download? I know it is no longer the default (so newbs generally won't see or get it), but is it around somewhere? (I don't know the answer to this question…)
Yes: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/ ... 014-07-08/

Joe Schmoe

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:41 pm

DirkS wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:Is "Full Fat NOOBS" still available for download? I know it is no longer the default (so newbs generally won't see or get it), but is it around somewhere? (I don't know the answer to this question…)
Bzzzzt!

That's (obviously) old, so irrelevant.

What I meant, of course, is: Is the FF version being kept up-to-date and available as a current download (although not the default) ?

As I said previously: If the answer is Yes, then this thread is moot. If it is No, then this situation ought to be fixed.

DirkS

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
DirkS wrote:
Bzzzzt!

That's (obviously) old, so irrelevant.

What I meant, of course, is: Is the FF version being kept up-to-date and available as a current download (although not the default) ?
Sorry, crystal ball failed. Can only go on what you write.
BTW Noobs 1.3.9 works, also with B+.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:01 pm

While it may be possible to misinterpret my intent [*] based solely on my previous post, viewed in a vacuum, it is not really possible to do so when you view all my posts in this thread in toto.

[*] If you really work at it.

beta-tester

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:43 pm

DirkS wrote:BTW Noobs 1.3.9 works, also with B+.
are you sure?! :o :?
i thought at that time, important driver/modules weren't included for the RPi B+ USB Hub - so USB and network did not work with that very old NOOBS (with the preloaded OS of Raspbian/OpenELEC, ...)
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

rpdom

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:54 pm

beta-tester wrote:
i thought at that time, important driver/modules weren't included for the RPi B+ USB Hub - so USB and network did not work with that very old NOOBS (with the preloaded OS of Raspbian/OpenELEC, ...)
I believe that was a "firmware" issue, not drivers or modules.

DirkS

Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:32 pm

beta-tester wrote:
Noobs 1.3.8 was the first that worked with the B+ (had to check the 'not booting' sticky to make sure).

idontlikelinux

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:00 am

To beta-tester, thank you for your detailed instructions, and showing the http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/ link; I was able to follow them and get a few OS(es) installed.

The only problem was with the latest NOOBS itself, as i mentioned in another post
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=95069

It does not show RiscOS as an option in the menu.

beta-tester

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:45 am

idontlikelinux wrote:It does not show RiscOS as an option in the menu.
... even, when you download RISC OS 1760 and put it locally to your SD card, NOOBS does not show up its menu option?! :?
thats strange

PS.: for RISC OS, there is one file with only .xz as file extension... in my description i told to download/copy *.tar.xz... maybe the file RISC_OS.xz was not downloaded.

idontlikelinux

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:08 am

beta-tester wrote:even, when you download RISC OS 1760 and put it locally to your SD card, NOOBS does not show up its menu option?
No i did not download riscos_1760, instead i downloaded contents of riscos only.

My reasoning for not including this was, by analogy, openelec or any others did not have a _1760 version; Furthermore the json file that you pointed me to http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/os_list.json refers to riscos and not riscos_1760

beta-tester

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:42 am

oops, i was looking to os_list_v2.json ... now i know what the difference is between those two files... :lol:
but it did not explain, why RISC OS is not listed in NOOBS... :(

Burngate

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:08 pm

RISC OS isn't Linux.
It doesn't understand partitioning, or indeed any of the "standard" disc formats - it uses its own.
So to get RISC OS onto a "standard" disc/card with a FAT partition for the Pi to boot from, it had to be "bent" in an unconventional way.
Firstly, the card has the first few sectors of a "standard" FAT-formated card, including that partition.
Then there's an unformated partition, which Linux et-al will avoid.
But also, there's the RISC OS formating information, which by default is further down the card, and all the RISC OS file-system - right in the middle of that Linux-style unformated partition, because that's why that partition is the size it is and where it is.
And finally, the RISC-OS file system includes a DOS-style disc image - which just by chance (?) is the size, shape, and position of the FAT partition. So RISC OS can see the boot partition of the card.

NOOBs does something similar, but in an even more complicated way. I'm not going down that route, but I'm never-the-less in awe of the guys who got it all sorted.

idontlikelinux

Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Burngate wrote:RISC OS isn't Linux. ... blah blah etc...
What are you trying to say here, that you cannot put RiscOS in NOOBS?

Then how did they get the following screenshot ? photoshop perhaps...

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/ ... erface.png

Burngate

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm not saying that ... actually maybe I am, in that I couldn't ...

It's certainly possible to put RISC OS on a card using NOOBs - I have a card which has it on. Not the latest NOOBs, and not the latest RISC OS - one of the earliest NOOBs downloads that came out. I haven't fired it up for ages, because I've got the stand-alone image on another card, but I've got it and it works.

I just think it might be difficult (nothing's impossible) to take the latest NOOBs download and add RISC OS to it without using the NOOBs network system.
With a network connection, and ticking that box, you should get RISC OS.
Without a network connection, just adding the RISC OS bits from the stand-alone image is going to be more difficult than doing the same for a Linux-based OS.

From your name, I gather you don't like Linux. RISC OS isn't Linux. Nor are several other OS's, but RISC OS is the only one that actually works on the Pi. But also, it's the only one that hasn't failed over to the MBR style of disc format. Therein lies problems.

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Burngate wrote: From your name, I gather you don't like Linux. RISC OS isn't Linux. Nor are several other OS's, but RISC OS is the only one that actually works on the Pi.
Don't let the FreeBSD folks read that.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=85

Burngate

Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:52 am

From wikipedia:
FreeBSD is ... Unix-like operating system ... similarities with Linux ...
So in this context, I maintain there could be drawn an analogy with biology and cladistics: humans and bananas are second cousins compared to Alpha Centaurans who descend from a completely different line.

Otherwise, grovelling apologies to all FreeBSD-ians around. :oops:

aaaagile

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi,

I think I know as I have a similar problem .......
I have an existing SD card (raspian) with an attached Hard Drive. I have a Web site that I use for my family. It contains photos, Videos and Music, all legit uploads from my sources. Now, this is great for access via the internet.

I want now to install a dual boot (Raspian and noobs (for osmc) to get at all the above media files when at home without going via the internet or local host.

So, ideally for me , creating a dual boot SD onto my existing raspian img would be perfect.

Unfortunately all I have found is a "start from the beginning" examples. ( was going to say "start from scratch" but that may have confused the issue :-)

pyrophreak

Tue May 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I was using NOOBS but I wanted to know how to use it to install a image not on the Raspberry Pi page such as the Kali Security tools Distro. Would it work to make a Kali folder in the OS one and extract the installs there? I wanted to use a 32gb SD card to host: 1.Ubuntu 2.Kali 3.Windows IOT for PI and 4.TBD

procount

Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 pm

Use PINN instead of NOOBS. All of those OSes are already supported.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Advanced users”