matiou06

Hdmi and RCa video output

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Hello every body.
I have a project, install a pi witn a 7" touscreen display in my car.
I have a problem, i have no video siganl from the rca output, my display have only rca input.
I have connect my pi to my tv througt the hdmi port and it works nice.
What is the problem, can someone help me to abble rca video output in my pi ?
I'm a newbie so if someone can help me to do it dtep by step.
Thanks for all cheers.

BMS Doug

Re: Hdmi and RCa video output

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:50 pm

The raspberry pi should default to RCA when HDMI isn't connected, unless you have changed the settings in the config.txt file.
I think that is more likely that the RCA input pinout on your screen is different from the pi's RCA output pinout.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

matiou06

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:00 am

Hi BMS Doug
I have not change the the config txt, my monitor works perfectly when i put another source such as a dvd player in the rca input. Can u tell me how to force the Rapsberry pi to use the rca output instead of hdmi outpout, if you can show me step by step because i am not very good with this new OS (linux) and how to do it with a new command line txt. Thank u !!!

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:47 am

The Composite (Analog Video) Out on the Raspberry Pi Models B and B+ are different

The B uses a standard RCA Composite Cable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

The B+ uses a 4 pole TRRS Cable http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... video-jack

The Pi will auto-detect whether a Composite or HDMi is plugged in by default........
Adieu

rpdom

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 am

Did you install your OS from a NOOBS setup, or from an image download.

If you used NOOBS and setup up on your TV then the Pi has been forced to HDMI output and will not switch to RCA.

What you need to do is boot up on your TV, then using a terminal and sudo nano /boot/config.txt comment out the line that says hdmi_force_hotplug=1 by putting a # in front of the line to make #hdmi_force_hotplug=1.

Then your Pi should detect if an HDMI screen is connected and use RCA if it isn't.

BMS Doug

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:24 am

matiou06 wrote:Hi BMS Doug
I have not change the the config txt, my monitor works perfectly when i put another source such as a dvd player in the rca input. Can u tell me how to force the Rapsberry pi to use the rca output instead of hdmi outpout, if you can show me step by step because i am not very good with this new OS (linux) and how to do it with a new command line txt. Thank u !!!

your RCA connection is almost certainly using the wrong pins:
abishur wrote:Started by Abishur, re-written by Mahjongg
If you have a model B+ and want to use the composite Video (A/V) for composite video and analog sound, you need an A/V cable, like this one:
But note that there are many cables that look exactly like this one but do NOT work! That is because the wiring within them must be correct!

This is a picture listing the most common A/V cables, and their wiring:

The Raspberry PI can use cables designed for the Ipod, or for the Microsoft Zune, but can also work with some "camcorder cables" (but see below)
The PI does not work with the "hodgepodge" of systems that have pin 1 as GND.

As in the picture above, the tables below count, from sleeve (1) to tip (4) of the four pole 3.5mm jack plug.

A real "Raspberry PI model B+" 4-pole 3.5mm A/V output jack cable uses:
B+ wired cable
1 Video out
2 GND
3 Right audio
4 Left audio

Only Zune Cables are exactly right, because the PI want to keep left and right audio in the right place, and for some obscure reason iPod cables have those swapped.

{last updated by mahjongg, September 14, 2014}
as you can see from the above information the RCA connection in the PI uses a different pin setup to the connection on most other equipment, you will need to re-organise the pins to get the display to work.
Doug.

matiou06

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Hello everybody
i have bought a hdm to vga converter, so this no problème now.
I have a question about the drivers of my 7" display touchscrenn, how to install them to make the touchscreen works with the raspberry oi B, i have linux (and others) drivers, and i don't know where to put the and how. Thanks for helping me.
Cheers Matiou

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:44 pm

matiou06 wrote:Hello everybody
i have bought a hdm to vga converter, so this no problème now.
I have a question about the drivers of my 7" display touchscrenn, how to install them to make the touchscreen works with the raspberry oi B, i have linux (and others) drivers, and i don't know where to put the and how. Thanks for helping me.
Cheers Matiou
The drivers and instructions should be provided by the Vendor and will need to have been compiled for the RPi ARMv6 Architecture or alternatively an option to install from source code..
Adieu

matiou06

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi
What it means ?
How can i make it work exactly ?
Thanks for helping

BMS Doug

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: The drivers and instructions should be provided by the Vendor and will need to have been compiled for the RPi ARMv6 Architecture or alternatively an option to install from source code..
matiou06 wrote:Hi
What it means ?
How can i make it work exactly ?
Thanks for helping
The drivers and instructions should be provided by the Vendor - the person who sold it to you should provide these.
The drivers have to have been compiled for the RPi ARMv6 Architecture - if they aren't then they won't work.
or alternatively an option to install from source code - the person who sold it to you could provide source code instead of drivers, if so you download the source code and compile the drivers yourself.
Doug.

hamlatzis

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:04 pm

I have a similar problem cannot connect to my TV tuner using RCA. But have another question, from the tv-tuner's software I can select my source's video format between various PAL, NTSC or SECAM formats.

What should I choose?
Attachments
video_format.PNG
video_format.PNG (15.22 KiB) Viewed 63293 times

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 am

hamlatzis wrote:I have a similar problem cannot connect to my TV tuner using RCA. But have another question, from the tv-tuner's software I can select my source's video format between various PAL, NTSC or SECAM formats.

What should I choose?
This is country specific, and we can't tell you the answer until you tell us where in the world you live.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

hamlatzis

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 am

I am in Greece, but don't think it's country specific.

It depends on the encoding used by the device.

I have a camcorder (analogue) and when I wanted to digitize my recordings I connected it to the PC I selected from the camcorder's menu the setting PAL and not NTSC because of the higher resolution (my camcorder supports both encoding systems), then chose the same encoding system on the PC.

NTSC PAL
Lines/Field 525/60 625/50

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:16 am

OK, what I meant was, any analogue TV broadcasts will be country specific. As you are using a closed-loop system, chose the standard that gives the best quality.
So you need to match the output of the pi and the input of the tuner - I would select PAL (at 625) as it has a higher line resolution than NTSC (at 525).
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Koa

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:55 am

Hello folks, i just received my Raspberry pi last week and it workes great with the noobs set up on my newer tv with the hdmi cable.

However on an older tv the hdmi was an issue. So I switched to the A/V jack. I used the red cable as the video - yellow socket, and that worked great.

Until I had to learn about the settings in; sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Then all I needed to do was comment in from of the hotboot hdmi =1 ( sorry that line may be a tiny bit off but it is in the steps that are easy to find if your reading this) but ran into the keyboard conversion problem of the # symbol. My keyboard displays the pound symbol as £ not #. # is what is meant by add a comment to the line.

Long story short I was able to defeat the line from the bottom of the config line for the hotboot hdmi since I could not add a comment # symbol.

And the A/V works great, oh and I needed to change the disableoverscan=1
The noobs setup has it set to 0.

Anyway this worked for me hope it helps.
Koa

ardcsb

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:02 am

I am using a Raspberry Phi 3 Model B. I was able to get video after I purchased the Zune A/V cable as recommended but I am not able to get any sound from the TV.
Any ideas or can you direct me to a better thread for correcting my issue?

ardcsb

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:16 am

One of the problems I found was using a US keyboard in NOOBs when the language was British English. Every time I hit the # key I got a British pound symbol. One I changed the language to US English the problem went away.

foreverclumsy

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 pm

ardcsb wrote:One of the problems I found was using a US keyboard in NOOBs when the language was British English. Every time I hit the # key I got a British pound symbol. One I changed the language to US English the problem went away.
Hi I was searching on google and came across this post. I'm having the same problem. How do I go about fixing this issue? I'm running Retropie 4.1 with my wireless USB keyboard purchased from Amazon.
ardcsb wrote:I am using a Raspberry Phi 3 Model B. I was able to get video after I purchased the Zune A/V cable as recommended but I am not able to get any sound from the TV.
Any ideas or can you direct me to a better thread for correcting my issue?
Were you able to find a way to resolve this issue? I'm curious since I just purchased the Zune cable and am waiting for it to be delivered.

SASH78

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:21 am

Having problems with RCA output also. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B. Trying to hook it up through my DVD player in my escape. I'm running Ubuntu Mate. It shows up but is very distorted best I can get is this in the attached picture and that's with the plug barely in.
20180402_191907-615x419.jpg
Shows some but not how I had planned
20180402_191907-615x419.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 5424 times

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:57 am

Your cable doesn't connect GND, it does not conform to the standard used by the PI as described a.o. here: viewtopic.php?p=653422#p714304

SASH78

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:12 pm

That is what I kinda thought. Thanks for clarifying . I found a zune cable it will be here thurs. Thanks again. Hopefully that will work. If not how do you know it will work?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Take a multimeter, and set it to ohms measuring (or the connectivity buzzer/diode measure option) and measure the cable through.
on some cables video ends up on the red plug, not the yellow plug.

Return to “Other projects”