safr0a

Re: Graphics Tablet with the pi?

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:55 pm

I've been trying to install a wacom tablet for my kids for a while and was happy to find your post. I've followed your procedure, it went well but failed at the end (insmod command) with the following message:
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.12.35+/kerner/drivers/inpu/tablet/wacom.ko: Invalid module format
Any clue on how to solve the problem?

CraigV

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

I notice a misspellings of "kernel" and "input" in the error message you quoted. Do those reflect an error in the command or just typos in your forum submission?

My Wacom is with grandkids, but I notice that the latest raspbian on one of my pis is version 3.12.36+, not 3.12.35+, so it might be that you are putting wacom.ko into the wrong place in /lib/modules. With each update wacom.ko must be manually copied into the new /lib/modules/3.12.3x+ directory. So far, it has not been necessary to recompile it, but I cannot test that for 3.12.36+.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 pm

safr0a wrote: Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.12.35+/kerner/drivers/inpu/tablet/wacom.ko: Invalid module format
Two problems
1. wacom.ko isn't built into the stock 3.12.35+ kernel but I'll guess you've done that piece correctly.
2. modprobe wacom.ko uses the the depmod data to find the module without needing a full path. Have you run depmod -a?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Herofly

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Thank you for the tutorial, I'm new to working with the Pi so It's been very helpful (and a big learning experience) this far.

I've been able to follow the steps provided this far until right after i entered the ./configure command. I get the following results.

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------
  BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
       linux kernel - yes 
      kernel source - yes /usr/src/linux

Your wacom.ko is available under 
    /home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0/
If you have an USB device, you can copy the driver by:
	cp /wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.12.35+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
If you have a serial device, please copy the driver by:
	cp /wacom_w8001.ko /lib/modules/3.12.35+/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen

NOTE: The kernel drivers included in this package are only
tested with the X Wacom driver built from xf86-input-wacom.
 If you are running an X server version older than 1.7, 
please use the drivers provided by linuxwacom package.

[email protected] ~/Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0 $ ls
2.6.30  aclocal.m4  config.h.in    COPYING      Makefile.am  stamp-h1
2.6.36  AUTHORS     config.log     inputattach  Makefile.in
2.6.38  ChangeLog   config.status  INSTALL      missing
3.17    compile     configure      install-sh   NEWS
3.7     config.h    configure.ac   Makefile     README
I've been searching for the magic wacom.ko file but i haven't been able to locate it so far. I've also rebooted the pi hoping on the off chance that the new version would automatically place the file in the correct spot but so far my bamboo tablet remains unresponsive. If anyone could give me some suggestions on where to look or how to continue I would be extremely grateful.

lcww1

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 am

Herofly wrote: I've been searching for the magic wacom.ko file but i haven't been able to locate it so far. I've also rebooted the pi hoping on the off chance that the new version would automatically place the file in the correct spot but so far my bamboo tablet remains unresponsive. If anyone could give me some suggestions on where to look or how to continue I would be extremely grateful.
I think you're very nearly there Herofly!

Have a look in your "~/Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0/3.7" directory for the wacom.ko kernel module, i.e. from a terminal command line prompt, give the following command:

ls -alt ~/Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0/3.7/wacom.ko
If the configure script ran successfully, then it should have built the kernel module and deposited in that directory, and you should see the file listed.

The subsequent steps involve copying the wacom.ko file from the ~/Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0/3.7 directory to a location that depends on the specific version number of the linux kernel that your Raspbian install is using - this may vary according to how frequently you've updated your install. You can find your kernel version number by using the "uname -r" command.

I hope that's of some help? Do let us know how you get one.

BW

lcww1

lcww1

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:53 am

safr0a wrote:I've been trying to install a wacom tablet for my kids for a while and was happy to find your post. I've followed your procedure, it went well but failed at the end (insmod command) with the following message:
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.12.35+/kerner/drivers/inpu/tablet/wacom.ko: Invalid module format
Hello safr0a!

Sorry to hear you've had this problem. I've not encountered this specific issue myself, but I'll try to help!

It would be helpful to me if you could provide a little more detail on how far you've got with the build process and which linux kernel version your Raspbian install is using:

1. Could you run the 'uname -r' command to find your linux kernel version?

2. Did you successfully execute the commands listed below (or their equivalent for your kernel version) after running the configure script? Or did you get some error messages at that stage too? If the configure script was successful then you should be able to locate the wacom.ko kernel driver file within the "input-wacom-0.23.0/3.7" directory.

sudo mkdir /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
sudo cp 3.7/wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
sudo depmod -a
I'll get back to you once you've given me a bit more to go on............

BW

lcww1

Herofly

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:47 pm

So I looked in the /Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0/3.7" directory for the wacom.ko kernel module with the command that Icww1 posted however it still says that the file doesn't exist. In case there was something that I missed I went ahead and re-imaged my Pi and redid all the steps. So far I'm still having the same problem.

So I backtracked and was reading through the logs, Back when I ran rpi-source it gave me the following report.

*** set 'EXTRAVERSION = +' in Makefile

*** Create symlink: /root/linux

*** Create /lib/modules/<ver>/{build,source} symlinks
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/lib/modules/3.12.35+/build': No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rpi-source", line 301, in <module>
    sh("sudo ln -sf %s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build" % linux_symlink)
  File "/usr/bin/rpi-source", line 82, in sh
    subprocess.check_call(cmd, shell=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 511, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'sudo ln -sf /root/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build' returned non-zero exit status 1
Would this have any effect on my problem?

lcww1

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:01 pm

Herofly wrote:So I looked in the /Downloads/input-wacom-0.26.0/3.7" directory for the wacom.ko kernel module with the command that Icww1 posted however it still says that the file doesn't exist. In case there was something that I missed I went ahead and re-imaged my Pi and redid all the steps. So far I'm still having the same problem.

So I backtracked and was reading through the logs, Back when I ran rpi-source it gave me the following report.

Would this have any effect on my problem?
ok - now we know that you've got a problem installing the linux kernel source, and without that you'll not have been able to compile the wacom.ko kernel module, which explains why you can't locate this file.

I've just run through my wacom.ko compilation recipe again using the latest NOOBS version (version 1.3.12, release date 2015-02-02) and it all works fine. The only thing I note is that you must be very careful to ensure that you have installed the correct version of gcc - you need the version that was used to compile the particular linux kernel that you are using. You can find out which version of gcc was used for your linux kernel by using the following command:

cat /proc/version
For current kernel versions of Raspbian this will be gcc version 4.8.3.

I suggest you read through and follow the steps to install the kernel source given on notro's wiki at https://github.com/notro/rpi-source/wiki - pay particular attention to the "gcc version check" and "Install gcc 4.8" sections. Make sure that you've got gcc 4.8.3 installed and set as your default version of gcc - check with the command below:

gcc --version
then you can proceed to running the rpi-source script - only do this when you've verified that your default gcc version is set to 4.8.3. The rpi-source script must run and complete without errors before you can move on to compiling the input-wacom package.

As an aside, I have now compiled input-wacom-0.26.0 on NOOBS version 1.3.12, which has linux kernel version 3.18.5-v7+. The wacom.ko module needed for this current version of Raspbian is located in the 3.17 directory of the input-wacom-0.26.0 package and not in 3.7 as in my original post which related to an earlier Raspbian linux kernel version. Lastly, I've found that this version of the wacom kernel module works with both version 1 Raspberry Pis (A, B, A+, B+) and also with the new Raspberry Pi version 2!

Since some people have been having difficulties getting things compiled, I thought I'd provide the binary wacom.ko module for download from my Dropbox - remember, this version has been compiled for the Raspbian version installed by the current version of NOOBS (1.3.12) and won't (necessarily) work for any other versions of Raspbian. So, if you're using a Raspberry Pi version 2, or any other Pi running the latest version of NOOBS, download the file below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhhxj3ymi7wg4wn/wacom.ko?dl=0

and then copy this file (wacom.ko) to the correct location on your Pi:

sudo mkdir /lib/modules/3.18.5+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
sudo cp wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.18.5+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/.
and then load the kernel module:

sudo depmod -a
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.18.5+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
I hope this helps you to get your wacom tablet up and running!

Let us know how you get on...........

BW

lcww1

Herofly

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Thank you Icww1, as it turns out my kernel was running on 4.8.2. I was able to follow the instructions in the links provided to get the 4.8.3 version. I am happy to report that I found the wacom.ko file happily waiting for me in the 3.17 folder as you did.

Everything is working great now, Once again thank you for walking through this problem with me.
Herofly

lcww1

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Herofly wrote:Everything is working great now, Once again thank you for walking through this problem with me.
Herofly
Hey! That's great news, Herofly!
So glad you've been able to get this all working now.............enjoy!

It's a shame that this whole setup is a little brittle - as Raspbian updates come along, we'll need to keep an eye on the kernel version, and there'll be an ongoing need to recompile the wacom.ko driver every so often. Perhaps someone on the forum knows a way of getting the linux wacom table drivers incorporated into the standard firmware which would spare everyone the need to plough through the wacom kernel driver compilation process, highly education though that may be. I suppose we'd have to request the addition of the wacom driver to the pi firmware github repo, or some such thing.

BW

lcww1

sjoerdsein

Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm

lcww1 wrote:I don't like to see queries on these forums go unanswered, and in common with others here I've been trying to get an old Wacom Bamboo tablet working with my Pi.

I was really hoping to get the tablet working with the wonderful TuxPaint (http://www.tuxpaint.org - install under Raspbian: sudo apt-get install tuxpaint tuxpaint-data tuxpaint-stamps) program to allow my daughter to draw using the Pi as she's too young to be able to manipulate a mouse. I think these small and inexpensive Wacom tablets are potentially ideal to allow younger children to use the Pi.

Now, if you've been working from the command line, start xwindows using the startx command, and you should find that you can use your Wacom tablet as a mouse substitute!

I hope this helps someone get their Wacom tablet working on their pi!
Hi lcww1,

I followed your tutorial and I got an error: the './configure' command finishes without any errors but it asks me to run 'make && make install', but 'make' gives me an error:

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0'
Making all in 3.17
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17'
    Building input-wacom drivers for 2.6 kernel.
make -C /lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/source M=/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17
make[3]: Entering directory '/root/linux-bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51'
  CC [M]  /home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17/wacom_wac.o
/bin/sh: 1: ./scripts/recordmcount: not found
scripts/Makefile.build:257: recipe for target '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17/wacom_wac.o' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17/wacom_wac.o] Error 127
Makefile:1381: recipe for target '_module_/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17' failed
make[3]: *** [_module_/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/root/linux-bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51'
Makefile:21: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17'
Makefile:369: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0'
Makefile:300: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
There is no wacom.ko because(?) it cannot find the recordmcount files.

These are the versions I am using:

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# gcc --version
gcc (Raspbian 4.8.4-1) 4.8.4
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.18.11-v7+ ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.8.3 20140303 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2650 - Linaro GCC 2014.03) ) #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# uname -r
3.18.11-v7+
Help would be very much appreciated ;)

SjoerdSein

Edit: quote too long

lcww1

Sat May 16, 2015 4:48 pm

sjoerdsein wrote: I followed your tutorial and I got an error: the './configure' command finishes without any errors but it asks me to run 'make && make install', but 'make' gives me an error:

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0'
Making all in 3.17
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17'
    Building input-wacom drivers for 2.6 kernel.
make -C /lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/source M=/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17
make[3]: Entering directory '/root/linux-bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51'
  CC [M]  /home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17/wacom_wac.o
/bin/sh: 1: ./scripts/recordmcount: not found
scripts/Makefile.build:257: recipe for target '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17/wacom_wac.o' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17/wacom_wac.o] Error 127
Makefile:1381: recipe for target '_module_/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17' failed
make[3]: *** [_module_/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/root/linux-bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51'
Makefile:21: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0/3.17'
Makefile:369: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0'
Makefile:300: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
There is no wacom.ko because(?) it cannot find the recordmcount files.

These are the versions I am using:

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# gcc --version
gcc (Raspbian 4.8.4-1) 4.8.4
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.18.11-v7+ ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.8.3 20140303 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2650 - Linaro GCC 2014.03) ) #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015

[email protected]:/home/pi/Downloads/input-wacom-0.27.0# uname -r
3.18.11-v7+
Help would be very much appreciated ;)

SjoerdSein
Dear SjoerdSein,

Well, it seems that some things have changed since I last built the wacom linux kernel driver! Some of the changes no doubt relate to the transition to Jessie, and others may relate to changes in the latest version of the Linux Wacom Tablet Project code.

To find out the cause of the trouble you've had, I made a fresh install of Raspbian (Release date:2015-05-05; Kernel version 3.18.11-v7+), and the latest linux wacom kernel driver files (input-wacom-0.27.0).

Now, it turns out that the linux kernel in the latest version of Raspbian is built with gcc version 4.8.3. When I installed gcc-4.8, I was given version 4.8.2, which results in errors when running the rpi-source script. Thankfully, notro, the author of the rpi-source script has us covered, with a full explanation and workaround on his github: https://github.com/notro/rpi-source/wiki.

I followed notro's instructions to get gcc 4.8.3 installed, and I note from your terminal output that you already seem to have sorted all that out for yourself, as you have gcc version 4.8.4, which is actually what gets installed when following notro's instructions, and which works fine for our purposes here.

To get gcc 4.8.4 installed:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie.list

then add the following line to this new file:

deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
now update the package lists:

sudo apt-get update
now when you ask to install gcc-4.8, you should be given 4.8.4:

sudo apt-get install -y gcc-4.8 g++-4.8
then update the gcc versions, in the same way as before:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 20
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 50
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.6 20
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.8 50
and you'll then be able to successfully install the linux kernel source using rpi-source:

sudo rpi-source
so, having got this far, we're now ready to go to the input-wacom-0.27.0 code and run the configure script in that directory:

cd input-wacom-0.27.0

./configure
now, previously running the configure script actually resulted in compilation of the wacom.ko kernel module, and I had not had to issue an explicit make command. With the current version of input-wacom-0.27.0, the configure script asks us to use make to build the kernel modules. When I ran the make command, I got exactly the same error as you did. It seems that the changes to latest the linux kernel source now mean that it's necessary to build some scripts within the linux source, as follows:

go to the linux kernel source directory:

cd /usr/src/linux
and build the scripts within that directory:

sudo make scripts
this will now build the missing /scripts/recordmcount file (among other things) which make complained about in your output. With these scripts built we can return to the input-wacom-0.27.0 source files and run make successfully:

cd input-wacom-0.27.0
make
Make should now run without errors, and the wacom.ko kernel module that we want should now be present within the 3.17 directory. You can now install the wacom.ko as follows:

sudo mkdir /lib/modules/3.18.11+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
sudo cp wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.18.11+/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
then load in the module:

depmod -a
You should now have a working wacom tablet running on your Pi!

Let me know if this solves your problem and if you get things working!

Good luck!

lcww1

sjoerdsein

Sun May 31, 2015 7:12 pm

lcww1 wrote:Dear SjoerdSein,

Well, it seems that some things have changed since I last built the wacom linux kernel driver! Some of the changes no doubt relate to the transition to Jessie, and others may relate to changes in the latest version of the Linux Wacom Tablet Project code.

Let me know if this solves your problem and if you get things working!

Good luck!

lcww1
Hi lcww1,

Sorry for not responding; I've been on a ~holiday and I wasn't able to bring my Pi with me.

I followed your guide and now everything works perfectly! Thank you very much!

SjoerdSein

PS. I noticed version 0.28 of the Linux Wacom Tablet Project was available, but only as an tar.bz2 file, and that didn't work.. How do I update? Thanks

lcww1

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Hello SjoerdSein,

So glad to hear you were able to get your wacom tablet working with your Pi!

Not sure about the latest version of the linux wacom tablet project drivers - input-wacom-0.28.0.tar.bz2 - I haven't tried this version, and I'm not sure what has changed from 0.27. What problem(s) have you had with input-wacom-0.28.0.tar.bz2 ?

I'll have a go at compiling the kernel module using input-wacom-0.28.0.tar.bz2, but for now you should be fine with the module you've successfully built from 0.27.

Best wishes,

lcww1

lcww1

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:09 pm

I've had a quick look at the latest linux wacom tablet project drivers - input-wacom-0.28.0.tar.bz2 - and I see that there have been some changes to the configure script which have broken the configure process. The current script claims that the kernel source isn't installed, whereas in fact it is. There is some mention of changes to the configure script checking process on the linux wacom tablet project mailing list, and I suppose this issue should be reported there.

Anyhow, input-wacom-0.27.0.tar.gz works fine on the current version of Raspbian, so I suggest just sticking with that, unless there's some particular feature of 0.28 that you absolutely need.

BW

lcww1

lcww1

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I've provided some updated instructions on compiling the input-wacom kernel module for Raspbian Jessie on a new forum thread here - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=122368

_DBZ

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 am

Thanks for the post and the instructions - they were enormously helpful.

I got it working on a Raspberry B, and used the Raspi as a test-bed while assembling my last DIY "Cintiq" (a 21,5" with an Intuos 2 extra-large).

tkoko

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Problem z uruchomieniem tabletu Pentagram T8060M (2000r), klon https://www.sslug.dk/~chlor/trust/
Na PC z Linux Ubuntu =< od 7.10 (CD 2007r) tablet działa bez dodatkowych sterowników
Problem with running the tablet Pentagram T8060M (2000 year), Aiptek clone
On a PC with Linux Ubuntu =< from 7.10 (CD 2007 year) the tablet works without additional drivers.

Na USB rPI z Raspbian (2017r) widać tablet jako;
On the rPI USB you with Raspbian (2017 year) can see the tablet as;

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 08ca:0021 Aiptek International, Inc. APT-2 Tablet

Tablet nie jest wykrywany jako urządzenie HID.
Zainstalowałem sterowniki Aiptek i Wacom z repozytorium.
The tablet is not detected as an HID device.
I installed the Aiptek and Wacom drivers from the repository

xerver-xorg-input-aiptek
xerver-xorg-input-wacom

dalej zainstalowałem;
I installed it;

Xorg-input-wizardpen-0.8.1 with https://launchpad.net/wizardpen/+download
digimend-kernel-drovers-6 with https://digimend.github.io/drivers/

Próbowałem zainstalować poniższe sterowniki, lecz moja wiedza o linuksie jest zbyt mała.
I tried to install the following drivers, but my knowledge in Linux is too small.
xfree-4.2.1 with https://sourceforge.net/projects/aiptektablet/
linux2.5.65

Czy ktoś próbował uruchomić tablety Aiptek na rPI ? Dziękuję za wszelkie rady.
Has anyone tried to run Aiptek tablets on rPI ? Thank you for all the advice.

Return to “Polski”