viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Sensor Kit

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:01 am

Hi everybody

What do you think abt this kit?

http://www.amazon.de/SunFounder-modules ... Jump+wires

Does it worth the money? I intend to buy it because has so many cool stuff but, although I am not new in programing or linux, just started with Raspberry Pi.

Thanks
Julian
Kind regards
IV

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11558
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Sensor Kit

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 am

i'm a bit doubtful, on the one hand you get a lot for your money, on the other hand I very much doubt this is a "kit specifically designed for the PI". I think its a generic kit, with an added T-cobbler. One detail that made me doubt is that the single IC that is in the kit (ADC0832) is a quite ancient 5V device, unsuitable for the PI, without resistor dividers . note that the output is not an I2C compatible (open collector) output, so it puts 5V on a GPIO.

Many modules are "passive", but others have unidentified IC's that may also be incompatible with the PI without specific care.

viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Sensor Kit

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks.

As far as I know Arduino works with 5 V and Rasp Pi with 3.3 V.

I wont't buy it.

Julian
Kind regards
IV

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11558
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 am

viulian wrote: As far as I know Arduino works with 5 V and Rasp Pi with 3.3 V.
Yeah, thats exactly it, older digital logic works with 5V, newer ones work with 3V3, like the PI, but the PI can get damaged if you put 5V on a GPIO pin for a prolonged time, and many of these modules do exactly that, unless you add a resistor divider to lower the voltage to something between 2.2 and 3.4 Volt. At divider with a (bottom) 3K3 and a (top) 2K2 resistor will divide the 5V to 5x(2.2+3.3)/3.3= 3V, so yes its possible to use many of the modules, but they are probably designed for 5V devices.

viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:14 am

Here is the answer from SunFounders (the seller of the kit)

1 von SunFounder 37 modules Raspberry Pi Sensor Kit, T-Cobbler GPIO Cable Jump wires [ASIN: B00HU0G9TO]

------------- Anfang der Nachricht -------------

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your query. If your Raspberry Pi is Model B, all components would be compatible. But if it is B+, the 26-pin GPIO Extension board (T-Cobbler) would not work. You will need a 40-pin T-Cobbler, http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NGFJSS6

On the other hand, we have a tutorial booklet and micro DVD showing how to use the kit. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert
Kind regards
IV

viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 am

Bestellnummer 304-7196832-5524323:
1 von SunFounder 37 modules Raspberry Pi Sensor Kit, T-Cobbler GPIO Cable Jump wires [ASIN: B00HU0G9TO]

------------- Anfang der Nachricht -------------

Dear Iulian,

Thank you for your reply. I just talked with our technical team and I was informed the ADC0832 can be power up by 3V3. So it would not hurt your Pi.

Best regards,


Robert
Kind regards
IV

DickB
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

The data sheet of the ADC083x series says: "Supply Voltage, Vcc 4.5 V DC to 6.3 V DC"
That's in the section "Absolute Maximum Ratings"
So it may work but I don't know how reliable it will be.

Dick

User avatar
FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES
Posts: 1750
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 am
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Contact: Website

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi,
DickB wrote:The data sheet of the ADC083x series says: "Supply Voltage, Vcc 4.5 V DC to 6.3 V DC"
That's in the section "Absolute Maximum Ratings"
In the datasheet I'm looking into (by TI) these numbers are listed under "Operating Ratings", where the "Absolute Maximum Rates" section lists (obviously) single maximum value, which is 6.5V.

Saying this with another words: when the chip's power supply is below 4.5V, the chip's vendor doesn't guarantee you that all specified features and properties remain valid.

viulian wrote:I just talked with our technical team and I was informed the ADC0832 can be power up by 3V3. So it would not hurt your Pi.
The given answer perfectly misleads. ;-) Both statements are true, but they don't answer the question.
1) It is true that the chip can be powered by 3V3... it can be powered also by 2V or 1V... nobody prevents you to do this.
2) True, you cannot hurt RasPi if the chip is undervoltaged to 3.3V.

You should ask the seller "properly": Does the ADC0832 operates within specifications when supplied with 3V3 ?
If the answer would be "yes", then you should ask the seller to provide you a datasheet of the chip and to point to location of this data. Nevertheless, it could be that 3.3V version exists which I'm (we're) not aware of and which they use. I doubt, but let's give them a chance to prove this. ;-)


Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:15 pm

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES wrote:Hi,
DickB wrote:The data sheet of the ADC083x series says: "Supply Voltage, Vcc 4.5 V DC to 6.3 V DC"
That's in the section "Absolute Maximum Ratings"
In the datasheet I'm looking into (by TI) these numbers are listed under "Operating Ratings", where the "Absolute Maximum Rates" section lists (obviously) single maximum value, which is 6.5V.

Saying this with another words: when the chip's power supply is below 4.5V, the chip's vendor doesn't guarantee you that all specified features and properties remain valid.

viulian wrote:I just talked with our technical team and I was informed the ADC0832 can be power up by 3V3. So it would not hurt your Pi.
The given answer perfectly misleads. ;-) Both statements are true, but they don't answer the question.
1) It is true that the chip can be powered by 3V3... it can be powered also by 2V or 1V... nobody prevents you to do this.
2) True, you cannot hurt RasPi if the chip is undervoltaged to 3.3V.

You should ask the seller "properly": Does the ADC0832 operates within specifications when supplied with 3V3 ?
If the answer would be "yes", then you should ask the seller to provide you a datasheet of the chip and to point to location of this data. Nevertheless, it could be that 3.3V version exists which I'm (we're) not aware of and which they use. I doubt, but let's give them a chance to prove this. ;-)


Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.

Lol. :D)))

This looks to me like a cat and mouse game. As they sell it, I wasn't expecting to a negative answer from them (otherwise they should retire the product)

I was delighted from the huge amount of sensors and ordered the kit.

I'll let you, guys, know the results. If it is not working, will not be the last 60 euros burned in the name of science. :)

Thanks for the answers.
Julian
Kind regards
IV

viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Sensor Kit

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 am

Here some valuable comment from Raspberry Pi group on LinkedIn:

John Sheehan
Software Development and Consulting

It's a great kit for playing around with and seeing how each sensor works, but as was already pointed out be aware of the voltage/current requirements of each individual sensor. All of the the sensors in the kit (some are actually output devices like buzzers) can be used with the Raspberry Pi, but some may require additional circuitry in order to work properly and/or prevent damage to the RasPi (and not all will require the ADC). Also, the code examples I've seen for the kit are Arduino specific (and in C), but it doesn't take too much to convert the code into Python and to utilize the RPi.GPIO library.

On a side note, I'm not a big fan of the included T-cobbler as IIRC it renames the GPIO pins from what they are on the RasPi which can be confusing. Also a double edged sword - the power connectors to the breadboard rails are a nice touch, but be careful that you don't get them mixed up when you are making your connections or you might damage the Raspberry Pi (one rail will be at 5v and the other at 3.3V). I personally prefer the breakout cobbler design from Adafruit. Also be aware that the included T-cobbler will not work with the Raspberry Pi Model B+ (it uses a 40-pin connector instead of the 26-pin).


Erik Azar
Technical Architect III (API) at Availity

I agree with John's comments. I purchased the Arduino version of this kit a few months ago. The quality of the sensors and circuit boards is very good. Mine came with a small booklet that identified each sensor, if you don't get that you can go to their website and download a parts sheet. I've used the sensors on both Arduino and RasPi without trouble.

Here is the kit I purchased, minus the booklet which was not offered at that time:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D9MZYFM/
Kind regards
IV

viulian
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Deutschland
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Sensor Kit

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:20 pm

mahjongg wrote:
viulian wrote: As far as I know Arduino works with 5 V and Rasp Pi with 3.3 V.
Yeah, thats exactly it, older digital logic works with 5V, newer ones work with 3V3, like the PI, but the PI can get damaged if you put 5V on a GPIO pin for a prolonged time, and many of these modules do exactly that, unless you add a resistor divider to lower the voltage to something between 2.2 and 3.4 Volt. At divider with a (bottom) 3K3 and a (top) 2K2 resistor will divide the 5V to 5x(2.2+3.3)/3.3= 3V, so yes its possible to use many of the modules, but they are probably designed for 5V devices.

So...
I've tried the version with the tension divisor. :? Does not work. The sensor I've tried (temperature sensor) is not working proper at 3V3 , only at 5V. On the other side I measued the voltage on the GPIO PIN (signal pin) and are in the range 3 - 3V6 (but not 5). O course my measuring device has some inertia (suppose the signal is digital) but I've never got more then 3.6 V readings.
Kind regards
IV

RemyLebeau
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Sensor Kit

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:43 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems to be exactly the topic I'm interested in!

Rookie RPi owner here. I purchased a bunch of stuff with it, including the 37 sensor kit (for arduino), thinking that it would be a great way of learning a bunch of different stuff.

However I've struggled to find information on how to use this with my RPi (mine didn't come with any sort of booklet). I've tried to fudge my way along a bit, but figured I might well end up damaging something, if indeed there are items that use incorrect current, and I don't know how to fix it. (I've managed to get the RGB LED to work, my one victory!)

My question is - does anyone have any sort of resources they can share for a rookie to get into this? Is there actually a book out there that gives you RPi specific instructions on getting them to work?

I'd love some help and guidance.

I've got a few other projects I'm following, which are RPi specific, and so I am confident I can get to work, but I'd love to be able to get this boxfull of sensors and output devices to work, since they'll provide a huge range of options for me.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Sensor Kit

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I think the best approach would to search the forum (or google) for the individual sensor/IC part numbers and see what others have achieved. Usually you'll find multiple hits with code and wiring details (all going well).
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

User avatar
joan
Posts: 13806
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sensor Kit

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 am

RemyLebeau wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems to be exactly the topic I'm interested in!

Rookie RPi owner here. I purchased a bunch of stuff with it, including the 37 sensor kit (for arduino), thinking that it would be a great way of learning a bunch of different stuff.

However I've struggled to find information on how to use this with my RPi (mine didn't come with any sort of booklet). I've tried to fudge my way along a bit, but figured I might well end up damaging something, if indeed there are items that use incorrect current, and I don't know how to fix it. (I've managed to get the RGB LED to work, my one victory!)
...
There is quite a good guide out there, I know because I managed to find it once. It's probably on my laptop somewhere. I'll have a look if google doesn't bring you success.

Google for sunfounder electronics kit instructions.

User avatar
joan
Posts: 13806
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sensor Kit

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 am

joan wrote: ...
Google for sunfounder electronics kit instructions.
I download my copy from https://app.box.com/s/pgxevk7rj5tb9l3bdpkz

The link still exists. The target appears to be the same as when I originally downloaded.

RemyLebeau
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Sensor Kit

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions (and the download link)!

My biggest worry is that the instructions given in that document are for an arduino, rather than RPi. From what others have posted in this thread, it's possible that wiring up these sensors directly has the potential to damage my RPi...?

I'll search as suggested for the individual sensors, see if I can find anything. Feels like it would be worth an RPi specific write up for these sensors as a comprehensive introduction to the sorts of things you can do!

User avatar
joan
Posts: 13806
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sensor Kit

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:47 am

RemyLebeau wrote:Thanks for the suggestions (and the download link)!

My biggest worry is that the instructions given in that document are for an arduino, rather than RPi. From what others have posted in this thread, it's possible that wiring up these sensors directly has the potential to damage my RPi...?

I'll search as suggested for the individual sensors, see if I can find anything. Feels like it would be worth an RPi specific write up for these sensors as a comprehensive introduction to the sorts of things you can do!
Good idea. That might be easy depending on how the source material is copyrighted. It probably only needs a couple of cautionary notes at the top, and perhaps a link to those notes from the affected devices.

Are you volunteering?

kayel
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 4:45 am
Location: France

Re: Sensor Kit

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 pm

This might help.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/395

If you don't like soldering, they also sell the level-shifter chip without the board.

I've never used the level-shifter, I connect 5V chips to the Pi's 3.3V supply.

RemyLebeau
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Sensor Kit

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 am

joan wrote:
RemyLebeau wrote:Thanks for the suggestions (and the download link)!

My biggest worry is that the instructions given in that document are for an arduino, rather than RPi. From what others have posted in this thread, it's possible that wiring up these sensors directly has the potential to damage my RPi...?

I'll search as suggested for the individual sensors, see if I can find anything. Feels like it would be worth an RPi specific write up for these sensors as a comprehensive introduction to the sorts of things you can do!
Good idea. That might be easy depending on how the source material is copyrighted. It probably only needs a couple of cautionary notes at the top, and perhaps a link to those notes from the affected devices.

Are you volunteering?
Sure am! I'm happy to document my discoveries as I go, however as a complete RPi rookie I expect that I will need help to actually work out what to do in the first place!

Return to “General discussion”