vzaliva

Camera board vs. USB camera

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 am

I am wondering if there are any benefits of using RasperyPI camera board vs. external USB camera :?:
I am mostly interested in performance benefits in terms of CPU and I/O system load. I am considering real-time
computer vision application and it looks like the CPU performance is going to be the bottleneck at Raspberry PI.

Vadim

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera board vs. USB camera

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 am

The Rapsi camera connects directly to the GPU, and is capable of 1080p30 video encode, 5MP stills in pretty decent quality. Because its attached to the GPU, there is only a little impact on the CPU, leaving it available for other processing.

Webcams (unless they have built in encoding - expensive) are unlikely to get the same performance, and they also use a LOT more CPU.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

vzaliva

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 am

James,

Thanks for the reply. If I am reading non-compressed video frames from the camera, I guess there is not much encoding is happening, so the difference between Webcam and camera board will be not very significant?

redhawk

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:44 am

The difference between the Pi Camera and USB webcam is performance and higher frame rate with h.264 video encoding.
With a USB webcam you have low frame rate and no GPU encoding but that doesn't really matter if all you want to do is take photos.

Richard S.

jamesh

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Moving data over the USB to the CPU takes a fair bit of CPU, with the Pi camera, you don't have that overhead so you have more CPU available.

Picture quality is usually better than webcams, depending on the price you pay.

vzaliva

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Moving data over the USB to the CPU takes a fair bit of CPU, with the Pi camera, you don't have that overhead so you have more CPU available.
I am curious to see some measurements. If the difference is significant, it could be a good selling point for PI camera unit! ;)
Not necessarily. For example I have Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 which is a pretty decent camera.

jamesh

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am

vzaliva wrote:
I am curious to see some measurements. If the difference is significant, it could be a good selling point for PI camera unit! ;)
Not necessarily. For example I have Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 which is a pretty decent camera.

Er, the high performance and picture quality (and price) of the Raspi camera IS the selling point. Along with size. The difference in performance over a webcam is HUGE. Webcams simply are not as fast. Yes, there are some webcams with high quality, but they are more expensive.

abshafique

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:21 am

How about the v4l2 drivers used for the camera board? Do they perform with the same speed in the gpu leaving the cpu free? I am also considering real time image processing applications.

Thanks

6by9

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 pm

abshafique wrote:How about the v4l2 drivers used for the camera board? Do they perform with the same speed in the gpu leaving the cpu free? I am also considering real time image processing applications.
Yes. The V4L2 drivers use the same GPU acceleration as the raspicam demo apps.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Camera board”