tymaut

Slideshow with extra info on top

Mon May 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Hello,

I am trying to make an automated slideshow with extra info(weather for ex.). What I want is to loop the images that I have with an imaging program like fbi or qiv and somehow display weather information on a static small window on the top. I have managed to create the slideshow using qiv and I am trying to make a screen wide window with python to display information.

Q1. Is there a way to display the python gui on top of slideshow? Until now I had no luck.
Q2. Is it possible to not make the slideshow fullscreen but say start from 20px from top and fill the rest of the screen so that I can place the weather gui on the empty space on top and do not mess with always_on_top jibber jabber.

I am using raspbian

KenT

Re: Slideshow with extra info on top

Mon May 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Sounds like you need my pipresents-next. Mediashow with plugin (see sig)
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

tymaut

Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 pm

This seems to fit my needs. Thank you. I am currently using dropbox to update images automatically in pi. Therefore, some images are added and deleted during the slideshow and it is required that slideshow continues with the new images without being disturbed. For now I am restarting qiv every 10 minutes and that's a lame solution. As far as I understand, dynamic data is able to handle that kind of requirement. Can you elaborate on how to accomplish that?

Secondly, I think I can use on screen messages to display the extra information that I need. Am I right?

KenT

Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 pm

tymaut wrote:This seems to fit my needs. Thank you. I am currently using dropbox to update images automatically in pi. Therefore, some images are added and deleted during the slideshow and it is required that slideshow continues with the new images without being disturbed. For now I am restarting qiv every 10 minutes and that's a lame solution. As far as I understand, dynamic data is able to handle that kind of requirement. Can you elaborate on how to accomplish that?

Secondly, I think I can use on screen messages to display the extra information that I need. Am I right?
Use a liveshow for dynamic images. This show takes images from a directory so you will need some means of making your dropbox look like a directory.

You can write static text on top of the images but I suspect you want dynamically supplied text. Pi Presents has plugins which you write in Python which allows you, for example, to write text direct to the screen from a http: source

Before going deeply into Pi Presents look at some of the digital signage offerings such as Screenly OSE. It might be better to do the overlay at the server.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more

tymaut

Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Yes I want to use dynamically supplied text on top of the pictures in a small frame. Can you elaborate on the plugin? Screenly seems too complicated for my simple home application

KenT

Tue May 27, 2014 7:21 am

tymaut wrote:Yes I want to use dynamically supplied text on top of the pictures in a small frame. Can you elaborate on the plugin? Screenly seems too complicated for my simple home application
Look at the manual and the example plugin weather_ny.py (which has stopped working because the website has been re-designed.

dannyk6

Tue May 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Hey Guys,

I setup the same type of thing you're looking for. It shows the following:

- Current time and date
- Calendars (feeds in iCal format)
- Current weather (using Weatherunderground API, free)
- Photos from Flickr as the background, switching every 30 seconds (using Flickr API)

I'm running Midori in full screen mode to show the web page automatically on boot.

I can probably create a github account to host the code if anyone's interested. Let me know!

tymaut

Tue May 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I would appreciate if you can share your work. It looks pretty much to what I want to do

dannyk6

Wed May 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Ok, I turned it into an app where you can signup/login and and just point your Pi browser to the URL after you're logged in.

Steps:
- Go to http://designelemental.net/mpanel and sign up.
- Once you're logged in, click the gear icon (upper right) to bring up the options section.

General options

- Pick your timezone and time format

Photo options

- Click the authorize button to grant mPanel access to your Flickr account. You must already be logged into flickr.

Event options

- Paste an iCal feed URL into the box

Weather options

Once everything is configured, click the "My mPanel" link in the upper right to go back to your panel. Then configure your Pi to open a browser full screen on boot and load the url!

If you have any questions or find any problems, let me know. Thanks!

tymaut

Wed May 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Thank you.The design is simple and elegant. I think I can use this. However, is it possible to disable the time panel on the top and make the weather tab smaller. I am using my monitor not in vertical mode and nearly half of the images are covered by the semi transparent black panel on top and bottom

dannyk6

Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Great, yeah I can add an option to disable the time, which would hide that top row if you have both time and events disabled. What resolution screen are you using?

tymaut

Wed May 28, 2014 4:16 pm

This is stupid but I don't know how to check or change the resolution. The monitor does not give thre information as well. I am using the HDMI output. How can I see/change the resolution?

tymaut

Wed May 28, 2014 4:50 pm

dannyk6 wrote:Great, yeah I can add an option to disable the time, which would hide that top row if you have both time and events disabled. What resolution screen are you using?
Ok my monitor is 18,5" 1366x768 monitor

tymaut

Wed May 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Also there is an info tab to right which shows information about the picture. Can you make that tag optional as well

mosttly

Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi dannyk6,

I am new to python and trying my hands on raspberry pi; can you please guide us on how to achieve transparency using APIs.
Learning Begets Learning

dannyk6

Wed May 28, 2014 6:47 pm

tymaut wrote:Also there is an info tab to right which shows information about the picture. Can you make that tag optional as well
Yes, I will make that tab optional
mostly wrote:I am new to python and trying my hands on raspberry pi; can you please guide us on how to achieve transparency using APIs.
I'm just using CSS for the transparency:

Code: Select all

opacity: 0.5
in some cases and this in others:

Code: Select all

background: rgba(0,0,0,0.5)

dannyk6

Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Ok, you now should have the options to disable the time from showing up, and also disable that tab that shows the info about the picture.

Let me know if you think of anything else!

tymaut

Fri May 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Hello, thanks for the changes. I will try the new version. Assuming I put this up and running, do I need to login again after a while since cookies might be deleted automatically after some time by the raspberry system?

dannyk6

Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 pm

No problem. It's setup to keep you logged in for 1 year (unless you specifically log out). I've been using the Chromium browser and rebooted several times over a few days and it hasn't asked me to login again. So theoretically you'd have to login once a year.

tymaut

Fri May 30, 2014 8:57 pm

That's perfect. I will try this. It seems more convenient than my current dropbox system. Assuming the size of the flickr picture album is about 200 mbs, what do you think the monthly traffic on my router this should create?

dannyk6

Fri May 30, 2014 9:04 pm

If you uncheck the "Use hi-res photos" option, it will pull the medium res photo from flickr (1024px wide/high). These are maybe 500kb each. If you have it changing the picture every 30 seconds you'll see somewhere near 3.5GB per day.

btsllc

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Danny,

Great work!
Last edited by btsllc on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btsllc

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Danny,

What programming language are you using for your web page for "mPanel" ?

Could you create a github? Looks great, good work!

rsenio

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 pm

I dont suppose anyone knows how to get this to work within screenly? I can add the asset, but of course I must log into the page to make it work. There appears to be no keyboard interaction within screenly for a keyboard.

sirwitten

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Awesome website @dannyk6!
But could you fix the clock so it shows in 24h? (ex 17:39 instead of 5:39)

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”