cutterjohn

model b 512MB failures

Sat May 03, 2014 10:42 pm

...last year I purchased a 512MB model B, but had problems where it would shutdown immediately upon hitting login giving no time to write logs or read and "textual" output.

Other things came along in the intervening time period and I haven't had a chance to test this out, but I came up with a theory in the meantime as it annoyed me enough to think about it from time-to-time given that I was using the same PSU as with the older 256MB model B which worked just fine:

Theory: I purchased the vid codecs for the 256MB model B, and setup the card, however I now realize that I was using that same card trying to boot the newer 512MB model B. Is it likely(or have I missed it somewhere) that the codec authorization code rather than just failing to load was causing the immediate shutdown behavior of the 512MB model B when it discovered that the serial # didn't match the authorized model B for the vid codecs?

IF so, I really wish that this behavior was changed(if possible) to just having the vid codecs fail loading and printing a message into the logs rather than making a different piece of hardware essentially inoperable.

(Downloading a few latest copies of 3 distros ATM to test this with later tonight maybe, as I have a simplistic project that I want to try out if I can get the supposedly problematic board to work... it was a 512MB China board purchased via Newark/Element 14 if that makes any difference...(and I never tried riscos on it that I can recall -- had another project that I used something else for instead as it was working and I didn't want to waste extra time troubleshooting at that time...))

klricks

Re: model b 512MB failures

Sun May 04, 2014 12:53 am

A codec to serial number mismatch does not do any such behavior. In fact if you have multiple RPi's with codec for each then you can configure one SD card to work on all your RPi ' boards as long as the matching key is in the config list.

I would suspect bad power supply. What is connected to the RPi?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

cutterjohn

Sun May 04, 2014 2:07 pm

klricks wrote:A codec to serial number mismatch does not do any such behavior. In fact if you have multiple RPi's with codec for each then you can configure one SD card to work on all your RPi ' boards as long as the matching key is in the config list.

I would suspect bad power supply. What is connected to the RPi?
thanks, well so much for that theory...

Anyways, as to the pi, nothing, just an old powermac g4 keyboard and an ASUS LCD monitor via hdmi.

I had been using the exact same setup w/my original 256MB pi with no problems, then when I swapped in the 512MB it was doing that bootup -> immediately shutdown behavior at which point I shoved it off to the side as I didn't want to take the time delving into something which might have become a major time sink.

Over the intervening months I've acquire a few more PSUs which I will try and IIRC I may have also ordered a 2nd 512MB pi, possibly sometime last fall/early winter.

Once I get all my stuff together and have a block of o.w. do nothing time I'll try debugging. (Have a mother board that I need to transplant first though, and another build to go into the vacated case(transplant has water cooler whose radiator didn't fit even though the case was advertised to(apparently they forgot that oh little things like motherboards take up space and didn't properly position(they centered it rather than offset) the radiator mounts jury rigged for now)...)

scruss

Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 pm

I'm wary of older USB keyboards now. I have a USB MS Natural Keyboard that flat out won't let the Raspberry Pi boot. A friend who is doing cleverer stuff spent ages trying to fix the same problem. Her keyboard was backlit, and that was too much for the Raspberry Pi without a powered hub.

Now I have a working keyboard, I shall guard it forever.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Richard-TX

Sun May 04, 2014 2:25 pm

+1 on the keyboard. There are some really gimpy keyboards out there that draw too much current.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

klricks

Sun May 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Are you attempting to use the same SD card?
How long since you have done a update and upgrade? The boot files in older images are not compatible with some newer RPi's unless updated.
I would put the card in the working (Rev 1) RPi then do these commands (Raspbian assumed):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then try the SD card in the new (Rev 2) RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”