arfonzo

BBS running on Raspberry Pi

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi all,

I managed (with some manual modifications to libmozjs) to build Synchronet BBS along with all its dependencies (spidermonkey, cryptlib, etc) from the Sychronet CVS repo. The Synchronet devs have as always, been quick to update their CVS repo to enable building on the RPi when I ran through my issues with them.

I just wanted to let you guys know it's possible, and you can telnet into the board at: telnet://raspberry.poorcoding.com:2300. It might be the first BBS running on the Raspberry Pi (and it might not be). It's pretty much all defaults right now.

Running a BBS was the primary reason I ordered the RPi early on: what fun! :)

Regards,
arfonzo

jbeale

Re: BBS running on Raspberry Pi

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:34 am

was it taken down? can't reach it from here...

C:\>telnet raspberry.poorcoding.com 2300
Connecting To raspberry.poorcoding.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 2300: Connect failed

C:\>ping raspberry.poorcoding.com
Pinging raspberry.poorcoding.com [93.97.43.210] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 93.97.43.210:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

arfonzo

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:37 am

jbeale wrote:was it taken down? can't reach it from here...
Hm, it should be up... I just reset the service so perhaps you tried connecting when it was restarting. Let me know if you have issues.

Don't go by the pings--that is dropped by the firewall as a matter of policy, not an indication of server being up or down.

Regards,
arfonzo

MarshallBanana

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:29 am

arfonzo wrote:
jbeale wrote:was it taken down? can't reach it from here...
Hm, it should be up... I just reset the service so perhaps you tried connecting when it was restarting. Let me know if you have issues.

Don't go by the pings--that is dropped by the firewall as a matter of policy, not an indication of server being up or down.

Regards,
arfonzo
works perfectly fine :-)
ping is blocked but telnet gets through
very nice, remembering the last millenium, calling bbs boxes and paying a HUGE phone bill :-D

felix123

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:00 am

Cool retro!

arfonzo

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 am

MarshallBanana wrote:very nice, remembering the last millenium, calling bbs boxes and paying a HUGE phone bill :-D
:shock: Aye, cherished memories!

As a note, modern BBS software generally ties in quite nicely into TCP/IP. For example, this BBS can use telnet, HTTP, SSH, SMTP, POP3, NNTP, Gopher, MSP, Finger, RLogin and more, which come by default with Synchronet BBS.

I didn't mention before: you can access the Raspberry Board's HTTP interface (again, all stock defaults for now): http://raspberry.poorcoding.com. It's not very pretty but it does show it all working across various protocols.

Kind regards,
arfonzo

agtwash

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Would anyone be up for posting a near step-by-step on how to get the server running on here? I am new to Linux and I'm having a hard time getting things going.

arfonzo

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 am

Hi agtwash,
agtwash wrote:Would anyone be up for posting a near step-by-step on how to get the server running on here?
Someone else may wish to write up a "near step-by-step" for you. I most likely won't, as I don't believe blindly following instructions without understanding what you're doing is the right way to learn things (although it appears many people in the forum would disagree with me on this point!).
agtwash wrote:I am new to Linux and I'm having a hard time getting things going.
Some general guidance to help you get going:
- In order to get started you will need to have the base building packages for your distro to compile things. On Arch, this is the metapackage 'base-devel'.
- Meet the dependencies as listed in the official synchronet wiki and documentation. This includes things like libnspr4, libncurses, etc..
- Follow this page: http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix.
- There are official support channels for Synchronet, such as via IRC.

You should understand the basics of Linux, such as how to install, start/stop services for your distro, managing packages, how the build process works (configure, Makefiles and friends), how to modify the build process, and most importantly, you must read the documentation/wiki pages.

I hope I am not putting you off, but I want to reiterate that I did need to hack the build process somewhat, especially for the spidermonkey (libmozjs) sources distributed with Synchronet.

And, if you can post specific issues/errors you are having, I can provide more guidance. I am always eager to help those who have truly tried to get it working, but not eager to spoon feed step-by-step. :mrgreen:

Good luck!

Kind regards,
arfonzo

agtwash

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I understand that. I'm actually a comp sci major so I understand a lot of this. I'm just now cutting my teeth on Linux. I haven't used it for years and we never did in school (my formal education was lets just say sub-par). I'm more interested in the manual modifications that you have to make to the libmozjs dependency to get it working.

As far as being spoon fed, I understand the reasoning there because I saw it all the time in college. Blindly following instructions doesn't really help either side. The rest I can figure out on my own (granted I was just hoping for a quick install, but hey it is all about the process right).

Thanks.

arfonzo

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi agtwash,
agtwash wrote:I understand that. I'm actually a comp sci major so I understand a lot of this. I'm just now cutting my teeth on Linux. I haven't used it for years and we never did in school (my formal education was lets just say sub-par). I'm more interested in the manual modifications that you have to make to the libmozjs dependency to get it working.
Great to hear someone values the process of learning. :)

I will try to make a diff of what I did at some point.

However, the following is probably more useful guidance to someone like yourself:
- When you checkout the CVS repo, you'll have a dist/ folder with libmozjs tarball.
- The key here, is to take that tarball, extract it somewhere, and get that to build cleanly on your RPi.
- IIRC all that is required is modifying the configure/configure.in/configure.ac (details are hazy).
- Repackage to tarball and put it back in place in the sbbs source tree, replacing the original libmozjs tarball.
- Run through sbbs compilation again.
- You probably also want to disable GTK in the sbbs build process.

Kind regards,
arfonzo

OlDrunk

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Sweet , Thats awesome someone got a BBS server working on the RPi, now just need QTerm or another client ported to ARM and it will be like the 80's all over again just with out the bad music,hair, and clothes! :lol:

widelord

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:53 am

hi all,

After reading this topic I thought I'd have a go at getting Synchronet up and running on my Pi, I don't have a lot of experience with Linux beyond running Ubuntu for use as a home media server.

I've hit a problem with the libmozjs part of the install, I note that you made reference to some mods required to this package - would you be able to offer any assistance?

Many thanks!

jecxjo

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Over the past week or so I've been trying to load up my Pi with a bunch of services, one being a BBS. I also got my Pi on the decentralized network Hyperboria hyperboria.net which uses IPv6 as its backbone so sadly I was not able to use Synchronet as it currently has not IPv6 support. I'm hoping to make a patch for it one of these days depending on when I find some time.

But for the moment I've got BBS100 running via telnet or ssh as well as an IRC (ngircd) and http (nginx).

Check out my page at http://jecxjo.mdns.org or on Hyperboria at http://pi.jecxjo.

BBS @ [url]telnet://jecxjo.mdns.org:1234 or via ssh @ [url]ssh://jecxjo.mdns.org:23 user/pass: bbs
xmpp: [email protected]
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

widelord

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Managed to get Synchronet up and running, took a little fiddling about with libmozjs. In the end all I had to do was to replace any references to armv7a with armv6 and it eventually compiled and installed.

I did come across some kernel panic errors during the compile process, I think it's down to the power supply I'm using as I've read some comments regarding CPU intensive tasks whilst using a PSU which doesn't deliver quite enough juice to the pi.

So, here's the connect details: telnet only for the moment, [url]telnet://widelord.ath.cx:2300[/url] not much to see right now as it's only just up, I'll be tinkering for a while so connectivity may be up and down somewhat.

lentzs

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 pm

I have been working on moving my to a Pi as well. (bbs.lentz2.com).

Was it only in libmozjs that you had to replace armv7a with armv6 and what files?

Sam L.

widelord

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Yes, just libmozjs, I extracted the tar and edited js/src/configure - check here tomorrow and I'll put a link up which contains the edited file.

jecxjo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:06 am

Just a note for any of your BBS Sysops running on ArchLinux. I have created an AUR for Doorlib to allow you to develop native linux DOORS in C/C++. Also I've created an AUR for Safe Door which is a nice intro into the use of Doorlib.

More info at http://www.mbse.eu/bbsing/doorlib/

Also would anyone be interested in making a Club/Network/<noun describing a group of people with a common interest> of BBS's running on Pi? Potential community DOOR that connects everyone together to share messages or whatever?

lentzs

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:23 am

I made the changes. I now can compile it when it is separate but when I replace the libmozjs.tgz back into the synchronet source tree (/sbbs/3rdp/dist), I still get this error:

configure: error: Your compiler does not follow the C++ specification for temporary object destruction order.

Then it Errors out.

jecxjo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 am

When I built it, instead of changing the multiple locations I modified the configure scripts and that covered it all. If I get a minute tomorrow I'll look up the build files and find the change. If I remember correctly I only had to make one modification in a single file and that built EVERYTHING with the CPU info.

widelord

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:50 am

Here's a link to the libmozjs archive that I made changes to - worked for me but no guarantees!

http://raspberrypi.widelord.org.uk/down ... bmozjs.tgz

widelord

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:56 am

hmmm - now this is strange.

I've downloaded the new Raspian image and created a new SD card, now using my previously modified libmozjs archive fails once more with the "Your compiler does not follow the C++ specification for temporary object destruction order" error.

Back to the drawing board?

lentzs

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 pm

I was using the beta for the install and was getting the same error.

Any ideas?

Bamboozle

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 pm

When mozjs is a third party component that synchronet uses, cant we just install packages libmozjs*[-dev] from the apt-repositories? Has soneone tried this?

widelord

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:36 pm

That's what I ended up doing. I installed libmozjs185-dev and followed the step-by-step installation instruction at http://www.synchro.net/docs/sbbsunix.txt - there were a few other things I had to change along the way but nothing that a little creative googling didn't solve.

These are the two main things I remember having to do:

Create symlinks to everything in usr/include/js in the usr/include directory after installing libmozjs.
Alter the make file in /sbbs/src/sbbs3 by adding -lmozjs to the liking instructions for JSEXEC.

Give me a shout if you have any problems - I'll try and help

davidoccam

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:03 pm

quote from talking on #refuge.io about this thread

<davidoccam> https://friendpaste.com/6GW1BpWK2UNCAcuCexF1kM at 928 is the cause of problems
<davidoccam> configure: error: Your compiler does not follow the C++ specification for temporary object destruction order.
<davidoccam> needed for some soap issue in spidermonkey (I think)
<davidoccam> Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #66 PREEMPT Fri Aug 24 23:52:42 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux I think armv6l is the issue

<davidoccam> this I found instructive
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3//view ... 8&p=156159 by widelord » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 pm
Yes, just libmozjs, I extracted the tar and edited js/src/configure - check here tomorrow and I'll put a link up which contains the edited file. Here's a link to the libmozjs archive that I made changes to - worked for me but no guarantees!
http://raspberrypi.widelord.org.uk/down ... bmozjs.tgz Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 am
hmmm - now this is strange.
I've downloaded the new Raspian image and created a new SD card, now using my previously modified libmozjs archive fails once more with the "Your compiler does not follow the C++ specification for temporary object destruction order" error.
Back to the drawing board?
cant we just install packages libmozjs*[-dev] from the apt-repositories? Has soneone tried this? That's what I ended up doing. I installed libmozjs185-dev

<davidoccam> I think widelord made the changes to configure and not to configure.in and his working configure gets overwritten in next build causing second failure.

This is a widespread issue and I wish to get to the real cause.

You are nearly there Widelord - I think

Return to “Networking and servers”