looks endoscopic
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

mikerr

Re: Got bare bones graphics working

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:11 am

Good job !

Grabbed the image and tested it ;
worked fine on a Hama 2GB SD card and HDMI

I was more excited about this than getting Debian wheezy running on Pi ;)

I intended to do some bare metal OS stuff when I got the Pi,
but have got diverted.

I'll be using C though the FBasic asm macro thing looks very interesting.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

DexOS

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for testing.
The main problem is getting user input, at the moment i have it hooked to a laptop and using min Uart to control the menu and command line.

But that means you need another computer to control the R-PI, with defeats the point of the PI.
So will need to write USB stack or other input method or rig a pcb to use p/s2 keyboard.
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

arturo777

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 pm

DexOS wrote:...So will need to write USB stack or other input method or rig a pcb to use p/s2 keyboard....
I have been wondering about this exact same thing - how much effort it would be to get a USB keyboard going on bare metal. I've had a bit of a look at the Synopsys USB driver code being used and it looks pretty complex... probably much more than the rest of the system! :?

I'm not sure if everything is required to support a HID device though...

The thing is, being able to use a normal USB keyboard would make bare-metal tinkering available to many more people than a PS/2 via adapter.

DexOS

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:32 pm

arturo777 wrote:
DexOS wrote:...So will need to write USB stack or other input method or rig a pcb to use p/s2 keyboard....
I have been wondering about this exact same thing - how much effort it would be to get a USB keyboard going on bare metal. I've had a bit of a look at the Synopsys USB driver code being used and it looks pretty complex... probably much more than the rest of the system! :?

I'm not sure if everything is required to support a HID device though...

The thing is, being able to use a normal USB keyboard would make bare-metal tinkering available to many more people than a PS/2 via adapter.
The problem is bigger than normal (and normal usb stack is time consuming, to program and debug).
But because its a OTG it needs to be both the master and slave :(.

Also even in the linux ver it users too much CPU.
Bare metal dev's need to find a simple way around it.
That will mean people who want to uses these bare metal OS's, will need to do some electronics and or spend some money.
If they are not prepared to do that, then they do not need the bare metal advantages that much.

Here some ways i have found.

1. use the Uart to a laptop/PC **
Pros simple and cheap
Cons need a laptop or PC

2. Mod a p/s2
Pros simple and cheap
Cons needs bit bang code and to buy a PCB

3. IR keyboard/ remote**
Pros simple
Cons not that cheap, as it used to be

4. bluetooth keyboard
Pros simple
Cons not that cheap

5. HID Host on a chip**
Pros simple and will work with other hid device
Cons not that cheap

** = i have tried and they work with R-PI

The HID host on chip works best so far, but its is not cheap, but i may code and make my own, cheaper ver's if theres demand.
Theres are ones i have tested
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board

Any more input ideas welcome.

tufty

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:49 pm

It doesn't need to be both host and device, all the otg means is that the ip used is capable of both. As it happens, the Model B, due to the 9512 downstream, is totally incapable of doing client, and even, IIRC, the Model A will only do a very limited part of client.

There's at least 2 implementations of a dwc driver out there, I'm not sure if the *BSD version is any less cacky than the Linux one

Simon

Bakul Shah

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:57 pm

DexOS wrote: 1. use the Uart to a laptop/PC **
Pros simple and cheap
Cons need a laptop or PC

I bought a cheap cp210x based uart-usb dongle for this but in the end I got rid of it! Raspi A is for bare metal programming. Raspi B connects to A via UART. B runs linux and I connect to it via ssh. This way I can debug this even remotely! Now I need to add a switch to power on/off A and controlled by B. I suspect a Raspi would make an excellent debugging device!

DexOS

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:52 am

Bakul Shah wrote:
DexOS wrote: 1. use the Uart to a laptop/PC **
Pros simple and cheap
Cons need a laptop or PC

I bought a cheap cp210x based uart-usb dongle for this but in the end I got rid of it! Raspi A is for bare metal programming. Raspi B connects to A via UART. B runs linux and I connect to it via ssh. This way I can debug this even remotely! Now I need to add a switch to power on/off A and controlled by B. I suspect a Raspi would make an excellent debugging device!
Good idea, it should be simple to control the power for A from B.
I use a remote control plug, but could easy use IR from B to turn A on and off, using one of these plugs.

paulwratt

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:38 am

anyone coming across this thread and looking for sources, the original urls has gone but someone was able to scrap most of it (including the source archives) off web.archive.org and place it on GitHub:
https://github.com/dex-os/DexOS

The is now an arm version of FASM as well, also on GitHub:
https://github.com/PeterLemon/RaspberryPi

That should get you going with only a RPi to do the dev work and test (ie no need for x86 to use FASM)

the original website can (mostly) be browsed here:
https://dex-os.github.io/

BTW there are other OS's called DexOS, just do a search on GitHub for "dex-os" will show you a couple.

Return to “General programming discussion”