Blackcell

Linux File Structure for New Linux User

Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi all,

I have messed with linux here and there for a couple of college classes. I've never had to configure or setup a linux box though. My question is this. Where can I get a general overview of the Linux file system? For example:
/etc is generally used for _______
/bin is generally used for _______
and so on.
I think this may be beneficial for a wide range of users stepping into the linux world.

If there is a post already on the forum feel free to remove this one and perhaps sticky it to this forum section or shoot me a link to the thread.

Thanks

xtramural

Re: Linux File Structure for New Linux User

Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Here you go:

Raspberry Pi • View topic - Filesystem
/boot is the stuff directly concerned with booting.
/dev is the devices (serial ports, hard-drives, etc.)
/sys and /proc are pseudo filesystems. They allow access to the operating system using the file metaphor.
/etc are configuration files
/home is where the user's home directories are
/root is the home directory of the superuser
/var is for variable length files -- mail queues, printer queues and system logs.
/tmp is for temporary files and may be purged regularly.

/sbin is the executable files that are required for very early booting and for repairing a broken installation. This directory is available even if only the boot disk can be accessed.
/bin are the other executable files that are required for booting before networking is available.
/include are the C/C++ header files (.h).
/lib are the libraries (.lib)

/usr are the files that do not need to be accessible until after networking is up.
/usr/local are the files that have been installed locally (these days that means not using apt-get etc.)

There are bin, include, lib and maybe etc directories under /usr and /usr/local.
Probably best to head over to that thread for follow-up questions/comments.

Blackcell

Re: Linux File Structure for New Linux User

Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Sorry I answered my own question. Perhaps this:
http://linuxcommand.org/lts0040.php
Will be worth stickying?

Return to “Beginners”