uukrul

Re: Torrent server

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 am

There is some NAS (even routers with an USB port) that allows the installation on transmission and works perfectly. There is a NAS in dealextreme that cost less than the raspberry and allows torrents download without a problem, even to a NTFS disk. But the raspberry can´t... :roll:

It seems like the raspberry only works well as a media center with OpenElec... :?

Caótico Fanegas

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:54 am

As I said before, don't panic and give it some time, we'll figure out how to make it work.

juanmol

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 am

any solution that need to decrease speed, peers or conection, is not a solution. Use other hardware (like the nas option) or store temporally the torrents in SD, is not a solution. Torrents in Raspberry need to work perfectly, like in normal pcs. We don't need half solutions.

jerhat

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:13 am

I agree with you juanmol.

A friend of mine has a pi from the first batch. He never experienced this freeze issue when bittorrenting. I got mine from the second batch and am facing the problem. Could this issue be related to different hardware revisions of the pi (especially the ram chip) as described here : http://elinux.org/RaspberryPi_Boards ?

(this is just a idea...)

juanmol

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 am

mine from 2nd batch too

uukrul

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:55 am

Mine from 2nd batch too...

hmmmm...

errikos

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:39 am

errikos wrote:I have currently 10 hours uptime with Raspbian hexxeh image, updated kernel Linux raspbian 3.2.21-rpi1+ #9 Sat Jun 23 11:07:26 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux from chris, updated firmware and with the two parameters "smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N" to /boot/cmdline.txt and
vm.min_free_kbytes =16384

No error message and swat works ok. We will see the next days, but still seems ok!
After ~4 days of uptime, it freezed. I hope something new will help us deal with this issue...

jerhat

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:11 pm

jerhat wrote:I agree with you juanmol.

A friend of mine has a pi from the first batch. He never experienced this freeze issue when bittorrenting. I got mine from the second batch and am facing the problem. Could this issue be related to different hardware revisions of the pi (especially the ram chip) as described here : http://elinux.org/RaspberryPi_Boards ?

(this is just a idea...)
I reply to myself. Just tried with my friend's pi with my sd, it freezed. So it doesn't look like a hardware problem. However we could clearly see that the 2 pi's are different (Hynix RAM for his, samsung for mine)

JF002

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi!

I'm also running a torrent client (Transmission) on my Pi and observed kernel panics during downloads.

My setup:
* Debian Wheezy (beta image), no firmware or kernel modifications
* Download on a USB hard drive (connected on a powered HUB)
* In /etc/sysctl.conf, vm.min_free_kbytes is set to 8192 and swappiness to 1 (default values)

My observations :
* Crashes seem to occur when a lot of peers are connected or when download speed is high (~2MB/s).
* Before the crash, in HTOP, I see that the CPU load is at around 100%, with almost 50% used by kernel threads (in HTOP, the cpu bar is half green and half red).
* HTOP reports that the average system load reaches 7.50, which is too high, in my opinion
* The memory usage is low (max 70Mo)
* SSH becomes very laggy, I have to wait for 30sec to have an answer to a simple "Enter"
* Sometimes, the system does not crash, but becomes unusable until the download speed goes down or at the end of the download, sometimes, the kernel panics

On the other hand, I installed a Ubuntu virtual machine on my computer using the ISO file via a SAMBA share located on the external hard drive connected to the Pi without any problem. So, it doesn't seem that the USB/Eth bandwidth is the only problem...

I don't know if any of these information will be useful...
My web site : https://codingfield.com

uukrul

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:45 am

For the record, I´m downloading right now heavy Xbox-360 isos (aprox. 8 gb each one) via direct download with Pyload in the same Raspbian image that I post here earlier... and no hangs at all. No kernel panics and any other weird thing since 3 days ago, and with higher download rates (1mb/s facing 700kb/s from transmission)

Obviously the problem here is the CPU overload with a huge number of connections, with a torrent client. Working with direct downloads the CPU load is lower, I suppose.

cupill

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi,

Another tester joined the thread :)

So I'm using uukrul's image provided 2 pages ago (or so).

I use the transmission torrent client, for now limited to 1 download at a time, 300KB/s max. It doesn't bother me, as I'm not a huge torrent-downloaded-stuff consumer.

It's all running on a 32GB class 4 SD card, via ethernet.

I just reached 3 hours of uptime ( :lol: ) without crash, and still running. Far better than the previous 5 to 10 minutes.

I'll try to increase the max number of simultaneous downloads / download speed day after day to see how it behaves.

obarthelemy

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 am

You'll fry your SD rather quickly, bittorrent makes a lot a very small writes.

cupill

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am

Then I guess I'll abuse of the card's lifetime guarantee :)

ScorpAL

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:30 am

Can somebody build latest Transmission?

tomaac

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi everyone.

I had similar problems with my Raspberry Pi and rtorrent - after downloading files for 30-40 minutes, RPi ended with kernel Oops.

So here is what I did:

- Installed Debian Squeeze from Raspberry Pi download site
- apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
- installed newest firmware with rpi-update tool
- cp /boot/arm224_start.elf /boot/start.elf (since I dont use GUI, just CLI)
- set vm.min_free_kbytes to 16384
- set swap area on dedicated USB flash - 512 MB
- upgraded kernel to 3.2.21 from http://www.bootc.net/projects/raspberry-pi-kernel/
- run rpi-update again
- remove config file from /boot/
- install rtorrent (without any gui or web)
- set following values in config file:

Code: Select all

max_peers = 20
max_peers_seed = 10
max_uploads = 5
download_rate = 3000
upload_rate = 500
hash_read_ahead = 5
hash_max_tries = 5

[email protected]:~$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.21-rpi1+ #12 Sun Jul 1 18:10:03 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

[email protected]:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
So far I have been running rtorrent for a couple of hours downloading multiple mkv files simultaneously. It seems that it works just fine. Of course I will test it for longer period.

Btw I am using HTC 5v-1A charger + Belkin 7 port powered USB Hub, if that matters. All downloads goes to my 2.5'' USB HDD.

cupill

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 am

A friend of mine tested the latest raspbian Pisces image (r3), available since july 10th:
http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages

It seems stable so far, not a lot of feedback though, it's still pretty new.

I'll test it myself in a few days.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am

I experienced a similar problem with the pi freezing under heavy load; Im using it as a BBC iplayer downloader and podcast creator http://stuffaboutcode.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... sonal.html and it was driving me nuts; I run a scheduled job which downloads and encodes any new content from iplayer, copies the output to a nas and runs a python program to create and RSS feed and honestly it went down easier than a cold beer on a hot day.

I solved it by simply applying the latest firmware and kernel using rpi-update, https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/ to the debian squeeze distro and my pi has been rock solid since, see http://stuffaboutcode.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ed-by.html.

LHIS
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

cupill

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:22 am

My Friend's rpi finally froze... Not so stable then.

As far as I am concerned, limiting bandwidth to 300kB/s works, 500 ends freezing, 400 is ongoing, seems stable.

I'll keep it that way I think.

fox

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 pm

I have the same issue but only with wifi. If i'm using ethernet everything works like a charm! I tried various wifi dongles but none works well, the raspberry freezes after some minutes. The issue is that I don't have any ethernet plug neat the tv so using wifi is the only way.
I'm using the lastest OpenELEC.

JF002

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I also noticed that after updating with rpi-update, it seems more stable but... it crashes under heavy load (lots of connection, high speed,..).

When I start too many torrent at a time, transmission gets killed by the kernel when the system runs out of memory, which is an expected behaviour.
My web site : https://codingfield.com

Pakka

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am

Would it be difficult for a noob to install Raspian with some video player or functionality similar to XBMC, and some torrent app too? I'm currently on OpenElec but can't get transmission to work.

tuananh

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:08 pm

arch and transmission seems pretty stable to me (3 hours, not so heavy load ~ 10 torrents and speed limit 500KB/s

chochis

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 am

errikos

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Has anyone tried the new raspbian image?

Anyone tried that image:
http://www.bootc.net/archives/2012/07/1 ... 23-kernel/
?
The latter is more promising...

cptwunderlich

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I had massive issues with the original Debian Wheezy image. With full speed, it would crash after a few minutes.
Then I tried the Raspbian image and rpi-updated. It didn't work either, but that was because of the faulty kernel/firmware. I updated it again yesterday and it works like a charm now. Downloaded several Gigabytes already.

Btw. I'm using transmission-daemon v2.52 and downloading onto an external hard disc.

Return to “Networking and servers”