blachanc

PI bundled with 8GIG noobs (class4 not class6)

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 am

Well,
I just bought PI #3 & #4 (MODEL B) bundled with 8gigs noobs from newark canada (23/9 written on PI near the SD card slot).
It is clearly written on the element14 box that it is a 8GB, so it is not a home made bundle.

The sd adaptor card has the foundation LOGO, but the micro sd is a class 4 (the two cards I bought from swag earlier were class 6).
the microsd model bundled with PI is:

MMCTRO8G3ACH-NJ
made in PHILIPINNES.

the swag model is:
MMCTRO8GUBCH-WL
made in KOREA

Why I am writting this?

If I had know, I would have bought the PI without SD cards, and bought the cards from the swag store.
I didn't go that route to reduce shipping cost & lead time.

Is it a big issue?
Not really, but I was expecting class6 SD cards ;)

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Burngate

Re: PI bundled with 8GIG noobs (class4 not class6)

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:10 am

It might be worth talking to Newark about this.

According to the Pi front page, the card should be a Samsung class 6 card - as you no doubt know, assuming you are Benoit Lachance! - but there may be others who came here before reading the front page
Newark is part of Element 14, one of the two official Pi distributors. And the SD card adaptor looks like, so probably is, a Foundation adaptor.
But their bundle isn't necessarilly an official bundle, so the card may not be an official card.

It does seem odd that they would sell something that looks official but isn't, and if push came to shove it looks a bit like fraud, if it came to court - not that I'm suggesting that route!

redhawk

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:21 am

There seems to be some confusion over the classes mentioned on the Pi page - http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5989
These are Class 6* Samsung micro-SD cards in an SD converter. This card has outperformed many Class 10 cards in our tests......
*Eben says he is to blame for something which will please those of you who already have a NOOBS SD card: we’ve been mis-describing them as Class 4, when they’re actually Class 6. I was hoping there’d be an interesting story behind the mistake, but there isn’t; it’s just boring old human error. Sorry! (And congratulations to all those of you who bought one earlier and are now the proud owners of an even whizzier SD card than you thought.)
Richard S.

mikerr

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:24 am

The Class 4/6/10 classification just refers to sequential write speed.

Class 6 means it can sustain at least 6 meg/sec sequential write.
Class 10, 10 meg/sec

But a Class 10 can have as low as 0.02 meg/sec random write and a class 4 as high as 1.0 meg/sec random write
- big difference when used on the Pi

Many cards are optimised for sequential writes at the expense of slow random read/write.
(they can be more than 10x slower)

Digital Cameras tend to use sequential read/write so the Class rating is fine for that.

But a computer like the Pi uses random read/write seeks a large amount of the time,
read this thread for different SD cards compared:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 90#p486790

I'd be more bothered about that all important random read/write (bottom right on crystaldiskmark)
-you're buying a card "optimised for the Pi" after all

JDB benchmarked your card further down that thread, referred to it as a NOOBS card:

(it has a good random read/write) - so it looks like there's just a few variants of the NOOBS card in stock

blachanc

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:24 pm

I have to admit that I do not see any perf diff in the "user experience" :lol:

so it seems all good
the micro SD card was burned on june 28.

I will try to find the time to run the crystal mark.

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Return to “Beginners”