~$sudo

Raspbian Freezing on Boot

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 am

Hi,
I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble with my Pi currently, as it refuses to boot fully. It will go to the "My IP address is" line, then freeze and stay with a flashing cursor forever. Before this, i had booted the Pi directly to the desktop to avoid this issue, however the task bar at the bottom of the screen was gone (why so?), so i reverted to boot to command line. I also disabled SHH, because i thought this may be an issue with it freezing at an ethernet related line ("my ip address" line). This turned out to be a large mistake, because now the pi still doesn't boot properly, and i can't SSH into it.
I did have a python script running from startup (monitoring a GPIO for a shutdown button) so is it maybe that script that is preventing it from booting?
Thanks
I now quote Microsoft:
"Error: there was no error"

Narf03

Re: Raspbian Freezing on Boot

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

perhaps, take out the sd card, put into another linux machine, mount it, then remove your script and see if it caused infinite loop ?

~$sudo

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am

Ahh yes thank you for the response becuase i was thinking the same thing. I run the code from /etc/rc.local so i need to put something like silent & (?) after the bit that runs the code. But that's probably wrong, i thought i saw someone else do it so could you help me out with a way to get the code to run silently?
Thanks
I now quote Microsoft:
"Error: there was no error"

rpdom

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 am

The "&" on the end means "run in background and continue with the rest of the script". That is (one of) the correct ways to do it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”