przemof

HSD070I651 7" display and driver board

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 pm

I have a HSD070I651 7" display from kodak easyshare photo frame. I want to use this driver board:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321189050303?ssP ... 1423.l2649

but I'm not sure what signal can be connected to the driver board. Is it composite video? I already emailed the seller, but I hope someone here is familiar with this driver board. Detailed photo:
http://img03.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded ... 104550.jpg

The display & driver board will be used in car.

klricks

Re: HSD070I651 7" display and driver board

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:50 pm

The spec on the ebay listing mentions Dual AV input which would be composite. They don't say if it's NTSC or PAL?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

przemof

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks! No there is no info about PAL/NTSC. I just bought it, so we'll see if it works with rpi and that 7" display.

przemof

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:41 am

I got a reply from the seller:

"it is AV video signal. not composite video."

:?

klricks

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm

przemof wrote:I got a reply from the seller:

"it is AV video signal. not composite video."

:?
Generally AV means Composite. Maybe the seller is confused and thought you meant Component video?
Also NTSC/PAL does not matter as the RPi can do either.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

przemof

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:26 pm

I got the driver board. There is no spec or data sheet..
I need to buy 6 pin plug (see photos), but I I'm not sure where (OK, I know where, but I have no idea if it has a standard name) - anyone knows what might be tha name for that 6 pin flat plug?
Back of the board and the remote suggests that it can accept 2 separate video inputs, but it's yet to be confirmed.

7 inch drive board AT070TN07 HSD070I651 LR070BA A070FW03
Front of the board: http://firszt.eu/raspberrypi.org/driver_board_front.jpg

Back of the board: http://firszt.eu/raspberrypi.org/driver_board_back.jpg

Update:
I have the screen up & running :D (no rpi signal yet!)
There is a contrast, brightness & color regulation, option to change rotation of the screen and aspect ratio (16:9 / 4:3) and two inputs AV1 & AV2. All functions are available from 5 button panel and IR remote. Accepted type of video yet signal to be confirmed.

Screen up & running (no signal): http://firszt.eu/raspberrypi.org/screen_no_signal.jpg

Current cost of the project:
old 7" photo frame = free
driver board = 23 euro

klricks

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 am

You might try to contact the seller and say you did not get the connection cable as pictured in the listing......
And/or ask them for manufacture and part number of the connectors.. I doubt however that you will find a pre-wired connector... You most likely will have to get the pins and a crimp tool as well.

If it were me I would get a cheap AV RCA cable and cut it in half and solder the ends directly to the board. Note that AV2 won't come on unless the Reverse wire is connected to 12V. It's meant for a rear view camera in a car.

przemof

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:24 pm

For future reference details of the plug:

Manufacturer JST (Japan Solderless Terminals)
Housing part number: PHR-6, tab 2mm, 6 way
Crimp contacts: BPH-002T-P0.5S

I bought them at http://radionics.rs-online.com (2 bags of 50 :shock: ), so if someone needs it please contact me.

Photo:
http://firszt.eu/raspberrypi.org/jst.jpg

przemof

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:04 pm

I have the screen up & running. I'm using:

Code: Select all

#Normal PAL
sdtv_mode=2

#sdtv_aspect defines the aspect ratio for composite output (default=1)
sdtv_aspect=3  16:9
in config.txt

http://firszt.eu/raspberrypi.org/7_inch_screen_text.jpg

http://firszt.eu/raspberrypi.org/7_inch ... _image.jpg

Probably image quality can be improved - I'm using phone cable to feed power & video together (2 pair cable).

giovortu

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi, przemof, I've bought on ebay the same lcd driver board but I'm facing the same problem, can you post / send me the input / power pinout
Thank you very much

przemof

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Please check the photo showing the back of the board (open link and zoom in) or check the board itself - it's all there.[12V, AV1, GND, AV2, GND, BACK]

The red cable has a plug that is too wide (3/4 pins) and can fit in 2 positions, but that's for the button panel.

Let me know if you need more help.

hricol

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:51 am

I have a problem with this board: Where do I connect the 12V power supply? (Do I connect it to the two contacts within the drawn circle on the board?)

christaky

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Hello everybody! I have a HSD070I65 display on my hands from a Sony portable DVD player. I found an ebay seller selling the same driver board mentioned in this discussion. Before I make a purchase, I was hoping someone could bring me up to date on how this all works. This looks like a nice display and I don't want to throw away [who throws anything away, anyways]. If I purchase this driver board and after i connect it up with the display, what will be my next step? Will this driver board accept video input signals from a classic A/V cable straight out of a DVD player? Also, how in the world would I set it up with an HDMI output signal from a camera?

My hopes is that I will construct a case for this project and mount it to my Sony Handycam camera and use it as an additional display.

If you know nothing about the driver board or have no clue as to what I said before, I ask you this; what would you do with a small LCD screen and a Pi?

klricks

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:40 pm

christaky wrote:Hello everybody! I have a HSD070I65 display on my hands from a Sony portable DVD player. I found an ebay seller selling the same driver board mentioned in this discussion. Before I make a purchase, I was hoping someone could bring me up to date on how this all works. This looks like a nice display and I don't want to throw away [who throws anything away, anyways]. If I purchase this driver board and after i connect it up with the display, what will be my next step? Will this driver board accept video input signals from a classic A/V cable straight out of a DVD player? Also, how in the world would I set it up with an HDMI output signal from a camera?

My hopes is that I will construct a case for this project and mount it to my Sony Handycam camera and use it as an additional display.

If you know nothing about the driver board or have no clue as to what I said before, I ask you this; what would you do with a small LCD screen and a Pi?
The board has 2 standard AV (Composite / RCA) inputs which can be connected to any AV source such as a DVD player, camera etc, and of course the RPi. If you have never run a RPi on composite then I would suggest you find an old TV with composite inputs and try it to see if it is usable for your needs. IMO composite is not usable for long term, only as a backup or temporary solution. Text is jittery and hard to read. Many programs are unusable because of the low fixed resolution. Applications / playing field are larger than the screen and impossible to see what you are doing off the edges.

The board has no provisions for HDMI at all.
If you need HDMI then I would suggest something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LCD-Monitor-T ... 462162ab00
Note: I have not tried this and your LCD screen will likely not work with this board, but the screen comes with it anyway.

przemof

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:58 pm

The image quality is not great. It's probably OK for movies or images, but definitely not for text.
I have the whole working set for sale (screen + driver) as I decided to play with PiTFT which seems to be much better, but obviously way smaller.

ShadowBlade

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:50 am

Hello all, this has probably been the most helpful forum post I've read on this site about this exact screen, and I have it all ready except one question that is in the back of my mind: The terminals are 12V, AV1, GND, AV2, GND, and BACK. What is BACK? I understand everything except that. Does it mean the backlight? I can only guess, as there is no datasheet that I can find anywhere on the internet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :D

fdufnews

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 am

This board is tailored for in-car video.
The back input is used to automatically switch one of the video input to the screen when the vehicle is reversing.

ShadowBlade

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:02 pm

fdufnews wrote:This board is tailored for in-car video.
The back input is used to automatically switch one of the video input to the screen when the vehicle is reversing.
Alright thanks.

ShadowBlade

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 pm

So I'm fairly new to electronics and I'm trying to get this working, it's all hooked up, but I'm not sure know where to put the negative terminal of the power supply, just on either one of the ground terminals? Also will a 12V 1A power supply work it, without damaging or under powering it?

ShadowBlade

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 am

Alright so it works! Except it's backwards? The text looks like it's in a mirror... Anyone have this problem and have a solution?

klricks

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 am

ShadowBlade wrote:Alright so it works! Except it's backwards? The text looks like it's in a mirror... Anyone have this problem and have a solution?
Go to the OSD setup using the menu button on the remote. These screens have this feature so the camera or screen can be mounted in any orientation and also so the image from the reverse camera can be corrected.

ShadowBlade

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:49 am

Thanks man, got it all working with the screen in the right orientation.

jimbolaya

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:19 pm

przemof wrote: I bought them at http://radionics.rs-online.com (2 bags of 50 :shock: ), so if someone needs it please contact me.
I don't know if you're still active here, but I've got this board with some cables that will really be way too big for my project. Before I cut them up, would you be willing to send me some. I don't know how much shipping would be, but I'd be happy to cover that.

James

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”