So unfortunately, I'll start a new thread.
Problem: I have a RPi that needs to connect to a wireless network in my home. I have another device right next to it which doesn't have wireless ability, but I can plug it into the RPi's built-in ethernet port. This is the same as many people wanting to get their TV on wi-fi...
- I'm using bridge-utils. I hope this isn't misguided. Seems like others can get this to work.
- I'm not particularly interested in dealing directly with iptables or ebtables or any of those.
- I'm not bridging between two IP networks, they should all be using the same address range (10.0.0.x) and be on the same subnet.
- I AM bridging between wi-fi and ethernet.
- I get get the RPi up on wifi.
Notable: I can get this to work using dedicated hardware for bridging, notably an Airport Express. But this requires the Airport, a switch/hub, three power adapters, and 13 watts. If i can do this all with the RPi exclusively, then i am under 4 watts. For reasons that aren't important, I want/need this to be very low power.
Specific qustions/problems I've had with other threads:
- Should the bridge interface get an IP itself? how is that even possible without a MAC?
- Should the iface statements for the real interfaces be static? manual? dhcp? I'd ultimately like the addresses be dhcp assigned, but i've seen people claim to use manual and have the dhcp still assign them. I don't know how that works.
- I fear my USB-WiFi doesn't support promiscuous mode. I get messages stating that I can't add the wlan0 interface to the bridge. Operation is not permitted. How can I check if this is supped to work? It's a TPLINK adapter with an Atheros chipset.
When I tried manually:
- Code: Select all
brctl addif br0 wlan0
can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported
No better when i had it all in network/interfaces... the wlan0 just wouldn't participate.
- Code: Select all
## loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback
## wi-fi interface
iface wlan0 inet manual
# wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa-ssid "My Lovely Network"
wpa-pairwise CCMP TKIP
wpa-group CCMP TKIP
## ethernet interface
iface eth0 inet manual
## bridging interface betwen wi-fi and ethernet
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0 wlan0