digital_archivist

No HTML5 audio in kweb or Midori; Iceweasel is OK

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been covered; there are a lot of 'no audio' posts in the forums. This one might be a bit different:

I'm trying to open and play the audio from http://www.russianlessons.net/audio/audio-test.php; when I open the website in Iceweasel, all of the audio samples play just fine. If I open in kweb or Midori, the embedded media player shows the clips have a zero length. I've read that Midori is unhappy downloading and playing embedded MP3s, so I can understand that. But I thought kweb would handle whatever you throw at it.

I have lxplayer, VLC and Guayadeque installed, and I can play local WAV and MP3 files within X-Windows . If I try to open a local MP3 file from within kweb, I get a black screen with a white text display for the duration of the file - but no sound!

HTML code snippet from the RussianLessons webpage:

<h3>Audio Test 1</h3>
<p>This is a simple audio sample with the player control visible. If you can play it then your web browser supports HTML5 audio.
There may be a short delay while the sample downloads.</p>
<audio controls preload=auto>
<source src="/audio/lesson3-20.ogg" type="audio/ogg">
<source src="/audio/lesson3-20.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">
HTML5 Audio not supported!
</audio>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

digital_archivist

Re: No HTML5 audio in kweb or Midori; Iceweasel is OK

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Forgot to mention: I'm running Raspian, and my soundcard is the USB adapter described in http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 12#p204712.

digital_archivist

Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Well, at least I understand what's going on with kweb now; it uses omxplayer, which does not support usb sound cards. Sigh.

I'm still curious if it's possible to get HTML5 audio working with Midori...

gkreidl

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:48 pm

digital_archivist wrote:Well, at least I understand what's going on with kweb now; it uses omxplayer, which does not support usb sound cards. Sigh.

I'm still curious if it's possible to get HTML5 audio working with Midori...
No, kweb plays them fine and it does not need omxplayer for that; the files can be played directly inside the web page (HTML5 audio is supported in webkit). It should also work in Midori, as both use the same webkit engine.

BUT I'm using HDMI sound. So the questions is, how your sound card can be set to work with kweb (or Midori). Maybe something about your ALSA settings. I don't have pulse audio installed, so webkit must be using ALSA.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

digital_archivist

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

As usual, I fumbled my last post: when I launch a local mp3 file from kweb, it jumps to a terminal window where omxplayer plays the file. I was getting nothing from the USB audio; but when I plugged a speaker into the Pi's analog audio jack, it played perfectly.

However, I still can't play audio from the RussianLessions.net website I posted above. Specifically, kweb displays the audio player controls (i.e. I'm not getting the dreaded "HTML5 Audio not supported!" message), but the position and length of the clip is set to 00:00/00:00, and the play button is disabled. Curiously, the mute button in the player is operational, although there's nothing to mute. :)

For what it's worth, I get the same results from other sites with HTML5 audio, as well as with Midori.

Would it be possible for you to open the RussianLessons.net site and see if you get the same results on your (known-good) system?

Thanks again for any assistance you could offer.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:33 pm

omxplayer does not support USB audio and probably never will.

If you want to play audio files from kweb (direct streams, files , m3u playlists), it will usally play them with omxplayer, so no USB sound. But fore m3u playlists there is an option in kwebhelper_settings.py which allows playing them with VLC (perhaps I will also enable this for single audio files in the next version). And VLC should support USB audio.

As to HTML5 audio: I went to the Russian website you published and I could play all the files inside kweb (but as I said, using HDMI sound output). And I also had the play symbol to start them. Maybe webkit disables sound on your system, because it doesn't detect a matching sound output.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

digital_archivist

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:41 pm

That would make sense! I'll reconfigure for HDMI audio and give it a try. Thank you!

KTWS

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:27 am

Try installing the following and reboot. It should enable HTML5 video and audio in Midori, kweb, Luakit and any other webkit based browser.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Raspberry Pi Zero, 1, 2 & 3
http://www.ubeify.co.uk/

digital_archivist

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I switched the audio to the onboard headphone jack, and installed the software KTWS suggested, and now kweb plays my HTML5 audio properly (even autostart is working!)

Thank you for your kindly assistance!

tkoehn

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 am

I see this messages last post was back in Aug 2012. However, Jan 2014 I to am having problems with HTML5 Audio working in kweb or Midor.

I have installed all of the suggested items in this post with no success on top of the current raspian image.

What might I be missing?

gkreidl

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 am

tkoehn wrote:I see this messages last post was back in Aug 2012. However, Jan 2014 I to am having problems with HTML5 Audio working in kweb or Midor.

I have installed all of the suggested items in this post with no success on top of the current raspian image.

What might I be missing?
Can you please give an example URL here, so I can run some tests.

tkoehn

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:44 am

Sorry about my post. I re-imaged my SD card. So I went back and reviewed what I had done to make sure I did do everything as I said I did. I realized I did not re-install the gstreamer0.10-plugins. I re-installed them went back to www.html5test.com and saw that audio tag was now supported. I then tested the audio tag and confirmed it was working.

Again I am sorry for the mis post.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”