gdt
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am

Raspbian init script bug

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:50 am

Hi folks, Not sure which bugtracker to log this against, so I'll simply record it here for reference by others.

The file /etc/init.d/mathkernel doesn't contain a LSB header and this causes issues when adding or removing other daemons using update-rc.d (usually called by as part of the installation or removal of the a daemon's package).

Solve this by adding a header. Specifically, add this to the start of /etc/init.d/mathkernel

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
# start/stop mathematica daemon.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mathematica
# Required-Start:    $network $local_fs
# Required-Stop:     $network $local_fs
# Default-Start:     S 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Mathematica remote services
# Description:       Allows remote use of Mathematica.
### END INIT INFO

kurtdcobain
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:54 pm

thank you ;)

User avatar
jojopi
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm

gdt wrote:The file /etc/init.d/mathkernel doesn't contain a LSB header and this causes issues when adding or removing other daemons using update-rc.d (usually called by as part of the installation or removal of the a daemon's package).
What issues? I just see a harmless warning.

alexatwri
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:59 am

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Well, that's embarrassing. That should be fixed in the next update. Thanks for bringing it to our attention...

gdt
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 am

jojopi wrote:What issues? I just see a harmless warning.
It's harmless as long as you don't have packages which cause a unresolvable loop. For example, attempt to install both mathkernel and watchdog. One of the two services won't start.

User avatar
algorithm
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Flatland

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

Has this init.d script been removed from newer installations? I just re-installed wolfram-engine and there is nothing related in /etc/init.d

OT: desktop shortcuts still not automatically generated. Works from the menu shortcuts, though. Edit: ah sorry, maybe creating desktop shortcuts is not part of the installation anyway. If you want, a desktop icon is easily added by right-clicking the Mathematica icon in the Education menu and selecting "Add to desktop." Never mind this off-topic paragraph!

alexatwri
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:59 am

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:50 pm

algorithm wrote:Has this init.d script been removed from newer installations? I just re-installed wolfram-engine and there is nothing related in /etc/init.d
Yes. That particular script was not supposed to be present in the first place. There should be a much more robust solution for using a daemonized kernel in the near future.

User avatar
algorithm
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Flatland

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am

alexatwri wrote:
algorithm wrote:Has this init.d script been removed from newer installations? I just re-installed wolfram-engine and there is nothing related in /etc/init.d
Yes. That particular script was not supposed to be present in the first place. There should be a much more robust solution for using a daemonized kernel in the near future.
Thanks.

User avatar
paralight
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 pm
Location: nantes france

Re: Raspbian init script bug

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 pm

well, thanks again , got same error after a "sudo update-rc.d pyload defaults"

Return to “Mathematica”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests