DanielChai

A Raspberry Pi mini CNC Laser Engraver

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:16 am

I made a mini CNC laser engraver out of two old DVD drivers and use my RPi to control it. I didn't use any external stepper motor controller or existing CNC programs (I did use integrated H bridges though). The total cost of the project (excluding the Pi) is <$10.

The laser engraver is very similar to people have done before with Arduino but the control system is different. I wrote my own python code to interpret G code and control two stepper motor simultaneously. So far the engraver works perfectly. The resolution without any external driver is 0.075mm/step or 338 dpi.

here is one example

The python code can be downloaded from herehttp://hostcode.sourceforge.net/p/raspb ... r-engraver
Feel free to download, use and modify the code.

For a detailed instruction on how to build the engraver and run the code, please visit my blog post http://funofdiy.blogspot.com/2013/10/a- ... laser.html

:D

joan

Re: A Raspberry Pi mini CNC Laser Engraver

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:58 am

Good job!

gmc

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 am

Awesome project! Makes me want to start on a R-Pi cnc laser pcb cutter project :)

Hove

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:37 am

I think you've done a brilliant job - I particularly like the fact that you've got all the "expensive parts" like the laser diodes and motors from the DVD writers - it makes this project really low prices, but high value - well done!

Did you make the laser diode housings that you push the doides into?
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

DanielChai

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks! Share it. It sounds cool!
gmc wrote:Awesome project! Makes me want to start on a R-Pi cnc laser pcb cutter project :)

DanielChai

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Thank you!

Actually for the DVD idea, I followed [email protected] http://www.instructables.com/id/Pocket-laser-engraver/. He used Ardunio as the controller.

No I didn't make the laser housing myself... It's possible. But I simply bought one for $5. It is an AIXIZ laser housing. Actually this is the most expensive parts I bought for this project..
Hove wrote:I think you've done a brilliant job - I particularly like the fact that you've got all the "expensive parts" like the laser diodes and motors from the DVD writers - it makes this project really low prices, but high value - well done!

Did you make the laser diode housings that you push the doides into?

piankoc

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey,
I am working on copying your project. i have taken apart the DVD Drives and set everything up but i was wondering if you could explain the circuit a little better. Do you have a 9V battery attached to the LM317 to drive the laser? is it possible for you to post a big view of the circuit as well so i can see it all in one picture? thanks so much this is really an awesome project
Chris

DanielChai

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 am

I don't recommend to use a 9V battery to power the laser. Laser diode drains a current ~200mA at 2V so the battery need to output ~200*2/9~50mA. Battery will die very soon.

Actually I used my ipad10W 5V 2A charger to power the entire machine. I used a LM2577 voltage booster to step up the 5V to 9V to power the laser module.

kinda too busy these days so don't have time to update my poster...
piankoc wrote:Hey,
I am working on copying your project. i have taken apart the DVD Drives and set everything up but i was wondering if you could explain the circuit a little better. Do you have a 9V battery attached to the LM317 to drive the laser? is it possible for you to post a big view of the circuit as well so i can see it all in one picture? thanks so much this is really an awesome project
Chris

rossi

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:41 am

What software can you use to produce the designs that creates the G -code to pass to the laser engraver.

DanielChai

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi,
I use Inkscape with a laser engraver extension. Potentially Inkscape can be run at RPi, but right now I am using my laptop to generate G code and pass it to RPi. The python routines can only process limited number of G command such as M05, G01,G02/G03 etc, but good enough for laser engraving. For a randomly generated G code for other purpose like 3D printing or milling, the python routines will halt.
rossi wrote:What software can you use to produce the designs that creates the G -code to pass to the laser engraver.

Qwertyp42

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:57 am

I just built a machine of my own following danielchai's blog post. I also made a video which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQ33cNI ... ata_player if anybody wants to see what the machine looks like in action.

My modified code, with wireless capability and GCodeTools support, is here: https://github.com/iandouglas96/engravR

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”