lewiskell

USB Floppy Drive

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Would i be able to use a USB floppy drive with the Raspberry Pi? Or will it draw to much power, meaning i have to get a powered USB hub?

RaTTuS

Re: USB Floppy Drive

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:51 pm

powered HUB
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pluggy

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm trying hard to think of a reason why anyone would want a floppy drive in 2013. The floppy was way past its 'best before' date 10 years ago and had had its day 10 years before that. For a very small amount of money you can have something with thousands of times more storage and needs a lot less juice to run it. You could wire a load of them up to buffered GPIO ports and play music on them I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtiAP8xMSPo
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

totoharibo

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 pm

I've tried one on a PC with Debian.
Works well.

On RPi I agree with RaTTuS : a hub is necessary.

I've tried ti read old floppies (10 years old). Some are no more readable.

I've done that for fun,

Don't worry some are playing vynils :-)

LemmeFatale

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:34 pm

pluggy wrote:I'm trying hard to think of a reason why anyone would want a floppy drive in 2013.
Amusingly enough, a digital promotional item for a computer game was recently issued on floppy disk and given away at a trade show. :P

More seriously, though, preservation of old disks is one reason that I can think of, perhaps in combination with something like a KryoFlux, for disks used by platforms of times gone by, which can't be otherwise be read on modern hardware. Not only are there folks who still haven't retrieved their old things from such disks, but there are also old computer systems which are in danger of having their history lost, too.

That might well not be the usage intended here, but it is a good reason why people are using floppy disk drives in 2013. ;)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

jardino

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 am

I don't have an USB floppy drive, but I've just connected an old 250Mb ZIP drive to an RPi. Via a powered hub, of course, because the drive draws 0.5 Amp.

RPi recognised it immediately and I can access my old files.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:50 pm

I've got a USB floppy drive. The reason I haven't lobbed it is because I thought it'd be fun to see if it worked on the Pi. 1.44 Mb - that's about half to one third of a photo on my phone these days :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jardino

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 pm

When buying pre-built Wintel computers (my latest is about 10 years old), I used to insist on them having a standard 1.44 Mb floppy drive. This used to puzzle salesmen - but please them, because of the extra £30 or so they could charge.

Apart from recovering data on my own, old floppies, I was able to rescue data several times from the computers that kids in my wife's school had wrecked (those machines were even older than mine, but they all had floppy drives).

I did this simply by cutting a DOS recovery floppy on my machine, booting the sick school computer from it, navigating to the school's important folders by using the command line, copying the data to another floppy and making myself a hero!

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

totoharibo

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:20 pm

I have used a floppy/USB reader to save the image of floppies.

It is safer to copy floppy images on a CD and to copy them back when needed.

Return to “General discussion”