Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:59 am

Xbian wifi problems

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:07 am


I just got my first rapsberry PI and I want to use it as a media center, so I downloaded the latest version of Xbian and it works fine with wired connection, but my wifi dongle simply doesn't work at all (it's a cheap one I bought on ebay: EDUP EP-N8508).
I googled my problem and I found a script from MrEggman that, I think, can resolve my problem, but I get an error when I run it:
Unrecognised software version: Linux xbian 3.9.8+ #2 PREEMPT Tue Jul 2 17:38:12 CEST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

I don't know what to do now, can you help me?

User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1665
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: Xbian wifi problems

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am

I just want to check, I presume you've tried to configure the wifi network under Xbian menus and it doesn't connect?
This is a screen shot from Open Elec, but it should be pretty similar on Xbian. See the tabs, System, Network, Network 2 and Services.
You can go onto the Network 2 tab and try it there.

User avatar
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm
Location: ::1

Re: Xbian wifi problems

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

Did you run the wifi setup script in Xbian - ??

I haven't used Xbian for a long time now but even I managed to get my unsupported Virgin Media dongle working after I "apt-get" all the required driver files.

Richard S.

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:59 am

Re: Xbian wifi problems

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies, but I finally managed to make it work.
I had to modify manually the interfaces file.
I used this tutorial:
The only thing is if you have an open wifi, like me, you have to use that configuration instead
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid [Replace With Your SSID]
wireless-mode [MODE] # This usually works as "managed"
After that the wifi works, but I had to upgrade the buffer because it was lagging a lot.
I used this tutorial: ... ering.html

Now everything works perfectly, except my remote who is not recognized, so I need to figure out this problem.

Hope my post can help people who are in the same situation (and sorry for my bad english)

Return to “Troubleshooting”