David1

Copy/clone SD Card using WIndows 7

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I just spent a fair bit of time setting up an Onion Pi on a 4 GB SD. I want to copy/clone/image this onto a backup SD card in case the original gets corrupted. I don't want to do the time-consuming set-up again!

I imaged the card with Win32DiskImager and saved that. When I went to place the image back on a new 4 GB SD card, the program said the card was too small. I tried reformatting the card with SDFormatter v4.0 with the Format Size Adjustment "on" - still no luck. I'm clearly missing something! I am not a Linux user - other than on the RPi - and would rather do this in Windows (or a Mac) if possible.

I can't be the first to run into this problem. I could not find a good explanation in the Forums on how to do this using Windows. I anyone can explain how to image/clone a system card for the RPi using Windows 7 or a Mac - or direct me to a 'howto' that explains it - I would appreciate it.

As a second question: 4 GB cards are actually getting to be uncommon. Is there a way to put a system from a 4 GB card onto an 8 GB card and have it work properly *and* be able to use the extra space?

David

newalbanytom

Re: Copy/clone SD Card using WIndows 7

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:47 pm

not ALL sd cards are 4gb in size.............even a little less then 4gb will cause DI to halt.

best use an 8gb sd card, boot the Pi, use raspi-config to expand the partition to 8gb.

actually 16/32gb sd cards are "cheap", go with the largest you can afford.

tom
Tom Martin
Lewis Center,Ohio 43035 USA

David1

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks. I will give that a try with DiskImager and see if it is happy with putting the 4 GB image on an 8GB card. I thought it would be easiest to clone a 4 GB image to a 4 GB card. Guess I was wrong!

I didn't realize that 4 GB cards had differing capacities - I am, in this case, using different brand cards.

David1

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:39 am

I had an 8GB card around so I formatted it with SDFormatter and zapped it with the 4 GB image using DiskImager. Booted fine. When I try to use the Raspi-config "Expand Filesystem" option, it says "Your partition layout is currently not supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS in which case your filesystem is already expanded anyway."

Whatever that means! My guess is that whether I expand the partition/filesystem or not, the system will run fine since it was running OK on a 4 GB card.

Thanks for your help.

David

Return to “Beginners”