Bigwol

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Wed May 09, 2012 3:44 pm

My pi arrived today, and I get a problem on Boot

I've used two different SD Cards, and the Debian and ArchLinux images including the one from the sig in Troubleshooting.  I checked the voltage between TP1 and TP2 which is 4.75V

Thinking this was on the bottom end of the declared voltage range, I replaced the power source with a Regulated Bench Power supply set to 5V 1A, this made no difference and measured at 4.75V, it appeared to draw around 400mA when the pi was connected.

The SD cards are both 2Gb and are both listed as 'Good' Cards on the Wiki

Card 1 is a 2Gb Sandisk White Circle with a 2

Card 2 is a 2Gb Sandisk Ultra 15mb / s

I've connected a Microsoft Optical Mouse and a Microsoft simple keyboard rated at 100ma

Here is a screenshot

bredman

Wed May 09, 2012 5:02 pm

You set a bench supply to 5v but only 4.75v is reaching the circuit board? Looks like there is a serious voltage drop somewhere, probably in the power cable.

Also, can you disconnect all USB devices and try to boot? This will reduce the load on the power circuit.

Bigwol

Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Tried adjusting voltage on the supply so the voltage at the test point was 5.00V

Also removed USB devices and rewrote a fresh debian image onto the SD Card.

This made no difference - ir started up, got 30 lines in and stopped with the same Kernel panic - not syncing message see below

Power supply with 5V on test points

5 Volts at test points TP1 & TP2

Steady_Bear

Wed May 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Well the clue is in the heading. It's playing Cluedo...

Can't see any actual errors in the pre-amble on the screen so it's a little hard to tell, and that the same problem exists on two different distros means the problem is not likely down to the following; but due to that normally being the famous last words... (skip ahead for the more likely issue).

Please look at the card on a PC and see if there is a file called config.txt in the FAT32 (first and possibly only readable partition). If there is rename it to config.whatever_floats_your_boat (not literally).

Are you a Linux user?

If you can mount the other partitions then give them a quick eyeball.

Init dying is a sign it has seen something it really doesn't like. The most popular hit on Google (well the first) is that the filesystem it wants is not fully present.

The most likely problem is the SD card mind you. I think a few people have claimed some 2G* cards are a few bytes short of a full image if you know what I mean. And, if you don't - you think the full image has copied to the card, but it doesn't fit the last few blocks on. Or a physical problem could exist with the cards.

Can you snaffle a 4G card (preferably not Sandisk) off someone to try this?

*1.86G in computer talk. I'm clocking the Debian image at a little larger.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I think the "problem reading SD Status register" is the failure point.

Trying another sdcard could help.

There is an updated kernel in github that could also help

(https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... kernel.img)

Steady_Bear

Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 pm

dom said:

I think the "problem reading SD Status register" is the failure point.

Trying another sdcard could help.

There is an updated kernel in github that could also help

(https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... kernel.img)

Doh!!!

Can't read. You'd think, looking for a line with Error/Warning/problem/Issue/Fail etc, I'd actually spot it.

RaTTuS

Thu May 10, 2012 9:54 am

this will 99% sure be the SD card problem .

I have a microSD card in a SD card adapter and I get exactly the same problem - and early errors.

an normal SD card is fine - I'm going to check some other Micro SD cards I have today with a bit of luck
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Bigwol

Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 am

Nope -

Used an 8Gb Sandisk SD Card (15Mb / s)

The image transferred fine to the card as with both the 2Gb cards (neither of which were microSD cards - they were both full size and both on the 'Good Cards' list in the wiki.

I got the same error - Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.

I've tried it with and without USB mouse and keyboard connected and with and without the network connection just in case.

Same result - Kernel panic . .

RaTTuS

Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 am

that shows an error with the SD card right at the top

the thing i was saying about microsd cards is I get the same error when I try one of my mincro SD cards - my normal SD card works fine

Covfefe

Bigwol

Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 am

The screenshot with the SD card error is from the 2Gb card -

it states the capacity as 1.84 GiB on the screenshot,

The 8Gb card doesn't give an SD card error and states the capacity as 7. something or other GiB, but still gives the Kernel panic error.

I've now tried 3 SD cards all of which I've tested with h2testw so I know they're genuine and have the stated capacity and performance.  I've used the cards on my Lumix camera prior to repurposing them for the Rasp Pi, and haven't had any errors at all.

All of the writes of the debian image to the cards has been trouble free, with no errors reported at any stage.

I don't mind getting a new SD card of a recommended make if it will definately fix the problem, but given that at least two of the three are already on the recommended cards list, I don't know where to go next . .I'm also aware that power supplies have also been suspected of causing SD card misbehaviour.

Any and all help gratefully received -

Dave

drdarth

Thu May 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Dave

I got my Pi a few days ago and am having exactly this problem.  So far I have tried a brand new 8Gb Sandisk SD card but I have a Kingston on the way (arriving tomorrow) which I will also try.

The Sandisk card either freezes during the boot (at which point I have to reset) or gives me the kernel panic message that you've been getting.  I've tried reformatting the card, re-flashing the Debian image, etc but to no avail.

The one difference is that writing the debian image throws an error.  I'm on Windows 7 and when I start up the software it says something like (function not found).  However it seems to write the image to the SD card quite happily.

Given that we are both having the same problems I wonder whether this could be a rogue batch of Pis?  Mine came from Element 14 and arrived on either Friday or Saturday.

I'm going to keep playing with it tonight to see if I can find a solution.  I'll post if I make any progress.

Simon

Bigwol

Fri May 11, 2012 1:13 am

I bought a new SD Card this evening, having become paranoid about my allegedly compliant, but clearly non-functional SanDisk Class 2 2Gb and 8Gb cards.

I formatted the new SD Card as advised in the Wiki using SDFormatter 3.1, which worked fine

And then used win32diskimager to copy the Debian image on to the card

The power supply was set up as previously, to deliver 5.00 volts or thereabouts to the Rasp pi, measured at the test points, the power supply was set to provide adequate current, certainly more than 1A

Measured at the test points during the new attempt to start up, it measured very slightly over 5V

The result was disappointing considering the careful setting of adequate power and the use of an 'Approved' Class 6 8Gb SDCARD

The only item I noticed apart from the lack of any discernible improvement was that the SD Card socket appeared to be bowing under the strain of holding the SD Card in place, it appears to be made from decent high strength plastic, but doesn't look entirely natural, I tried it with a couple of cards just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

The SD Card socket connectors all appear to be soldered in OK, with no visible missing connections, though the solder isn't bright - (this may be due to the lead free solder used).

Where to from here?

I'm running out of options but I have a Transcend 8Gb Class 6 SDCard in the post from Amazon, together with a Nokia 5V 1200ma micro usb power adapter. Other than that I'm thinking maybe this is a duff example, which may have to go back to RS.

I'm certain that this isn't the level of difficulty that the designers expected us to cope with on the first setup and boot!

I've got a Philips 50Mhz dual trace scope somewhere - is there any point in rigging that up rather than a multimeter?, I don't know how the required voltage is expected to behave over time, or where to measure it to best effect come to that.

As ever - all advice and guidance very welcome - I'm in the dark here chaps!

drdarth

Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 am

Well, I also tried again last night and had no luck.  I tried two different power supplies with the same result both times.

I just came across this thread which may be of interest:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....rnel-panic

Perhaps the issue is keyboard related?  I have a spare keyboard kicking about at home so I'll try that this evening.  Also my Kingston SD card should arrive today so I'll try that too.

I'll report any progress of course.

Simon

RaTTuS

Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Bigwol said:

umm that SD card holder should not be bent ...

Covfefe

bredman

Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

There seems to be some problem with the shape of the SD card holder, probably near where the chopped corner of the SD card sits.

Any chance of a photo inside the holder without an SD card?

Steady_Bear

Fri May 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I take it that there is distinct barrel distortion on the photo of the SD card and that the card itself is much flatter than it appears?

Either way, as bredman said, a photo of the inside of the SD port could be quite revealing.

If it looks normal to you, try squishing down each metal contact (device unplugged, clean end of matchstick or similar) to see if the sprung contacts are jammed up in the holder (maybe a realignment would be possible).

Bigwol

Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 pm

You're right about the barrel distortion, the SD card doesn't get bent, just the lugs on the outside of the card holder, the sprung contacts all look OK and seem to be operating OK, though I haven't tried excercising them individually - I'll try that when I get home after photographing them using a proper macro lens which should lose the barrel distortion, the photos posted were taken with a compact camera (Lumix LX3) - A 100mm Takumar Macro lens on an SLR should provide less distortion.

I suspect the contacts will prove OK, it just looks half arsed when the holder is stretched by the SD Card being held - it smacks of out of spec mouldings, or dodgy assembly, I would have expected the SD card to be parallel with the board when fully inserted, and it isn't.

Steady_Bear

Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Let's face it, it wasn't just the RJ45 socket they tried to save costs on. They don't manage to make stuff so cheap by buying in high quality parts to mount.

Though, given the thousands that have shipped and the reported problems with the Pi seeming to be in the tens, it's probably worth it (just not to those of you on the wrong end of things).

I'm not too worried about the piccies being technically perfect, just so long as we know .

Bigwol

Fri May 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Photos inside the SD Card Connector without a card in as requested

drdarth

Sat May 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Bigwol

I was having exactly the same error messages that you are experiencing.  I tried various things and nothing seemed to work.  Then I tried booting the Raspi without keyboard or mouse plugged in.  Lo and behold it booted happily and got as far as the point when it asks you to log in (the first time i've ever made it this far in a week of trying).

In order to type in the user name I plugged in the keyboard, and the Raspi immediately threw a fit an chucked out the familiar kernel panic error message.

I have therefore concluded that this is a keyboard issue and not an SD card issue.  I have a new keyboard with a <1m cable on order so will be able to confirm this mid-next week.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Bigwol

Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Over the weekend my new power supply arrived - Excellent value and recommended - Nokia 5V 1200mA - £3.99 delivered from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007W3F6CA

My final SD Card purchase for now also arrived (Class 6 Transcend 8Gb).

I therefore put it all together with the existing approved USB keyboard (Dell SK115)

I also tested the SDCard socket using a cut down SD micro card adaptor which I butchered to expose the contacts so I could do continuity tests on the data and power contacts plus the lock/unlock contacts and the 'card fully inserted' contacts - All absolutely solid continuity with no problems or shorts.

The test points on the board gave a well within spec 4.9 V with everything plugged in and running.

So - Rpi verified USB keyboard, Standard USB mouse, Rpi recommended Class 6 8Gb Transcend SD card with fresh Debian image, power within limits with adequate current reserves, connected to Panasonic display via hdmi - result = Kernel panic - not syncing.

Repeated test with four different USB keyboards all drawing less than 100mA - 1 x Microsoft, 1 x Logitek, 1 x HP, with a fresh SDCard image on the Transcend each time.

Just for completeness, I removed the network connection and all the USB devices, and tried booting with the minimum load as reported by others - same result.

I believe I've gone as far as I can with this example so propose to return it for a replacement to RS.

If anyone has any good ideas before tomorrow morning, I'm happy to try them, I'm certainly not short of SDCards, power supplies and USB keyboards!!!

The 'Things bought to try and get the pi working' bill, now comfortably exceeds the cost of the pi, but as they say, nothing ventured - nothing gained, and I'm far from despondent.

I will get a pi running sooner of later, and once I get one working, looking on the bright side, I'll have a load of alternative SDCards and keyboards to test verify, and report back on, so we'll find out which bits may have contributed to the ongoing reluctance to fire up the pi . . .

sixbacon

Thu May 17, 2012 5:57 pm

After several downloads and several sd cards all 4GB but different makes, all given the kernel panic message, I tried what is mentioned above, the keyboard. It booted without the very basic key board i had been using. So I tried a wireless one and bingo, I am up and running.

Change your keyboard!

If anyone else finds this works it might be worth adding a reply to that effect and someone can put a big post-it somewhere telling others.
sixbacon

Bigwol

Thu May 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Mine wouldn't even boot without a keyboard, which is why it's gone back to RS. Some of the other technical discussions elsewhere, and the measured resistance (7.5R) of the current limiting polyfuse fitted to my Raspberry pi's USB input, go some way to explaining why nothing worked, and I'm looking forward to trying again when the replacement pi arrives.

I will be adding a good quality powered USB hub to the list of 'things I've bought for my pi' and intend running keyboard, mouse and anything else USB from that, as it does seem that not only is the 140mA allowance a bit on the stingy side, but due to some slightly dubious component choices, probably optimistic when plugging things in on the actual, delivered Raspberry Pi's.

But that's part of the adventure of being an early adopter, and when we're all up and running, we will have a better understanding of the hardware, firmware and operating software of the pi because we got in early.

Despite the setback to my pi I'm still a fervent supporter of the splendid visionary project which the Raspberry Pi truly is.

Who cares if there are teething troubles along the way. The end result will be worth it - low cost, excellent, British designed computers in education world wide - acting as a catalyst to a whole new generation of engaged, computer literate young people, ready to contribute their knowledge and understanding to computer science and software engineering in the 21st Century.

oldman_58

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 pm

6 SDCARDS
Formatted
Each time I attempt the Winimage copy the process stops at 37% no explanation or errors, I have downloaded Debian 3 times with the same results.

I am trying one last time on a different desktop..

Any Ideas

oldman_58

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 am

oldman_58 wrote:6 SDCARDS
Formatted
Each time I attempt the Winimage copy the process stops at 37% no explanation or errors, I have downloaded Debian 3 times with the same results.

I am trying one last time on a different desktop..

Any Ideas
Tried again on a different computer and new Debian download 37% in Winimage and stop ANy help will be appreicated.

Return to “Troubleshooting”