grumpyoldgit

Re: Arch - Screen blank

Wed May 09, 2012 12:18 pm

My Pi arrived today.

Having played about with Debian for a couple of hours I thought I would have a go on the other distributions.

With Arch all the lights come on but I am just getting a blank screen. There is no boot up at all displayed on the screen. I booted up with Debian again just to check the screen hadn't died but Arch still refuses to display anything at all. LNK and OK flicker occasionally so something is going on.

pepedog

Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Grumpyoldgit, which image was it?

Try deleting the config.txt (or rename) in fat partition (eventually mounts as /boot)

grumpyoldgit

Wed May 09, 2012 1:17 pm

It's the latest one; 29-04-2012.

Deleting config.txt appears to have done the trick. I am now logged in. 

mrevergreen

Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 am

I am having the same problem... would you mind explaining how you did that?

I cant work out how to access/edit/delete the config.txt file

If it makes a difference: I am primarily using Windows (I have ubuntu on a VM but it is not able to see my internal SD card reader) and uploaded the .img to the SD card using Win32DiskImager.

Do I need to use DiskPart (or equivalent) to edit the image on the card? Or somehow edit the .img before uploading it to the SD card?

Many thanks

pepedog

Fri May 11, 2012 9:41 am

After you have burned with Win32DiskImager and ejected the disk, insert card back into windows machine. If already burned, do same.

It will mount, delete mentioned file, or rename, and safely remove card.

mrevergreen

Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 pm

After writing the image to the SD card (using Win32DiskImager) it does not mount when re-insterted. So it is not possible to view the file structure...

If I try to explore the SD card in any way after the image has been added it just says 'The Disk in Drive E is not formatted' Format Y/N?

So this only results in 'WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on the disk'

and then I am back to square one...

Any ideas?

theunit

Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

I've not tried on windows myself but the RP image creates multiple partitions. These should appear as separate drives in windows. When you insert your SD card is it only drive E that appears or is there another?

The ext3/4 and linux-swap partitions will not be recognised by windows and so probably come up as unformatted. I believe the boot partition is FAT32 and so should be recognised by windows but is possibly under a different drive letter.

PS: I will be trying this out myself this evening so I can hopefully get you a proper answer.

favst

Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

I've only tried the win disk imager twice, both times after the write it did not auto eject/unmount the sd card and you can edit the files placed on the boot partition. After an eject and remount I could not access any of the partitions in windows.

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 11, 2012 3:08 pm

config.txt is in the 100MB FAT 32 partition so can be seen by Windows and Linux. You do not need to be able to see the other partitions.

If you do not have a suitable SD reader, Poundland sell them for ........

I find with the external SD readers I have it is best to put the card in the reader then attach the cable to the PC. When the card has been written to I need to remove the cable then attach it again. Any changes to the card can then be seen.

I also have an internal SD reader on one PC that dual boots with Ubuntu and Windows XP. Although the computer physically know when I insert the card, as a green light turns on, neither Ubuntu or Windows XP will acknowledge the card. I do wonder whether this is down to the issue where older devices need their firmware upgraded to be able to see the cards. Both my digital cameras were in that position but are now sorted. It may be with computers more than a couple of years old that their readers just won't acknowledge these higher specification cards.

Stulander

Fri May 25, 2012 11:11 pm

The composite port will be used instead of HDMI, so plug that into an old T.V. or whatever and do:

mv /boot/config.txt config.txt.old

When you reboot it'll use HDMI instead.

hamjudo

Sun May 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Stulander wrote:The composite port will be used instead of HDMI, so plug that into an old T.V. or whatever and do:

mv /boot/config.txt config.txt.old

When you reboot it'll use HDMI instead.
That worked for me.

Once it was booted, I used:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT

to see that neither of my HDMI monitors support mode 19, which is the one hardcoded into /boot/config.txt

There are more details about tvservice in http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=5&t=5851

I assume this means that the Raspberry Pi tries to use a non-functional configuration with some HDMI monitors, unless it is overridden with config.txt.

Does whoever builds the Arch boot image know all this already, or should I be reporting this somewhere?

pepedog

Sun May 27, 2012 7:48 pm

hamjudo wrote:Does whoever builds the Arch boot image know all this already, or should I be reporting this somewhere?
No, I didn't. Initially I was just getting rid of overscan settings, that's not now required.
Being arch I don't like idea of yet another rootfs on a rolling release, but all this is fine tuning for us all. Next rootfs I'll put options in config.txt but comment everything out.
Thanks for information.

Return to “Troubleshooting”