SANGER_A2

Re: List of open source games that can be ported to the R-Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 am

I am an ICT teacher at a secondary school and run an after-school gaming club to help build up relationships with my students, encourage their team-work and problem-solving skills and help them to make new friends. As part of this, I spent a lot of time searching for and downloading completely free multiplayer games. They all want Modern Warfare 2 etc etc but don't realise that as a school we have to be very careful with legal issues and I would have to buy 30 copies of any game we play. So free games it is.

The most popular games are World of Padman (fun quake-3 based game), UrbanTerror (game similar to counter-strike using the quake 3 engine) and Spring (Total Annihilation clone).

Anyway, a lot of these games are open-source and can be compiled for any operating system (probably). I'm going to try to keep an updated list of all games that can possibly be compiled for the R-Pi for those lucky people who already have one. I'm still waiting on mine.

I would love to be able to use the R-Pi for the gaming club to encourage students to take an interest in computers beyond gaming. It also opens up using GTKRadient etc for map-making - which is a similar idea to programming - but will appeal more to the lower-ability boys. At my last school we used to play Counter-Strike before I realised using 6 copies of Half-Life for 30 computers was a bit dodgy and I made a map of the school that they LOVED. I don't think that the regular secondary classroom environment is quite ready for them yet, but I think they are ideal for clubs and specially selected groups.

There has been a lot of noise made about Quake 3 recently, but I really think the push should be to get OpenArena working for everyone rather than Quake 3. This is open source like the Quake 3 code is now, but most importantly there are no legal issues in using the textures etc that they have made - unlike the ones the ID software have made and expect to be used with a paid version of Quake 3! If the R-Pis are EVER going to be used in a school environment - free software with no legal issues is the way to go from the start.

I'll use this post as my long, rambling introduction and the next for the list of games. I hope there will be lots of replies with more information on what works and doesn't work and new games to add (please include a link to the source code for whoever will be trying to compile it). I wish this was me, but I have no idea when I will be getting my Pi.

SANGER_A2

Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 am

Okay then, I've discovered I cannot edit posts I've made, so I've done a reply and hope a mod will let me edit & delete my posts so I can copy this to one of the higher-up posts and delete any spares! Please bear in mind that I'm not an expert, I don't have a Pi yet - so all I'm doing here is hopefully saving some time by bringing all the information and links that are needed to do the legwork by people with the skills and who actually have an R-Pi to try these games out!

Quake 3 engine-based games
The most popular type of freeware multi-player games are first-person shooters based on the Quake 3 engine. Many of them either package the engine with all their file or are just a mod that runs on the Quake 3 engine. I think that if this is going to be used in a school the most important thing to get working is the GTKRadient map editing software. This should be easy to compile for ARM as it's on Github here. Once this has been done, students can build their own maps for whatever mod/standalone game they are playing.

OpenArena - This is the original remake of Quake 3 using free textures etc and does away with the need to actually own a copy of the game to be allowed to legally play it. The source code for the game and the engine is here and it also has an SVN here.

UrbanTerror - this is the most popular game/mod that we play in my school. After further reading, I've discovered that although the game is free, it is closed source and is used as a mod on top of the opensource ioUrbanTerror engine that can be compiled following this guide. Then all you would need to do is download the linux files in a zip from here and put them in the right place for the engine to use them.

World of Padman - this game is great. It's good fun, really clever maps and not too violent. I'm pretty sure that using it would require downloading the 1.5 full version from here and then compiling the 1.6 engine using the source here and installing it over the top of the 1.5 stuff.

Tremulous - This is a clever game. You can be either humans or aliens and you can upgrade yourselves if you are aliens or your weapons/kit if you are a human. You can build turrets and armories etc and you have to dominate the resources on a map in order to win. It's a great game to play with the students - especially in large numbers as they HAVE to work together in a team to win. The SVN is here and the rest of the files needed can be accessed here.

Warsow - I'd forgotten this game when writing the first post - but it's also one of the VERY popular games at my school. The pace of the games is totally crazy and they've added in lots of cool features like wall-jumping and it has really nice cartoony textures/models. They have a whole SDK with the source code you need etc here.

Smokin' Guns - This is a cowboy version of Quake 3 and although the graphics and gameplay aren't oustanding, it's still good and deserves props for being so original! The source for the engine is here and it will need the files from here to play.

Alien Arena - This game isn't as popular with the kids at school. But it's very well made with frequent updates and very nice graphics. The SVN is here and the rest of the files can be downloaded from the website here.

These are the games that I have played and know what they are like. I'm going to make another post with other games that are not based on Quake 3 or that I haven't actually played.

SANGER_A2

Wed May 02, 2012 9:09 am

Non-Quake 3-based games

Spring RTS - This games tends to hog resources (especially when using lots of units) so it may be too much for the R-Pi. I'd love to hear how it runs if anyone wants to try it. There are lots of simpler mods like Kernel Panic that should run much better than ones like Balanced Annihilation. There are loads of mods for it and the engine and the mods are continually being developed. Anyway, there is a really nice guide for compiling the engine and lobby (server connection app) here. They have a Server (TAServer) that runs on java that can be downloaded from here. I don't think an R-Pi could handle the server and the client though.

Nexuiz - this is a pretty legendary game. It runs very nicely and has great graphics. Pretty popular at school, but not as much as Spring, UrbanTerror or World of Padman. The source and files needed can be got here.

BZFlag - I've played this, but the kids weren't really bothered about it as the graphics/gameplay aren't amazing. Still, it should run nicely on the R-Pi. Source is here and other files if needed will also be on Sourceforge.

AssaultCube - This is another one that I tried out, but I didn't even bother showing to the kids as the graphics aren't great and it's not as fun to play or as nice looking as most of the other free FPS's I've tried. Anyway, the code etc is here.

Next will be a list of other games I found recently, but don't know much about.

SANGER_A2

Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 am

Other games

0 A.D. - I'm pretty sure I tried this one ages ago and it didn't work in our school environment under Windows. Looks very cool though. There seems to be a good community behind it with lots of help. There is a nice compile guide here. It reminds me of fun days playing Age of Empires looking at this video and I'm going to download it for Windows to have a play with again for school!

Warzone 2100 - This is another game I am going to check out to use in school. It looks like it has nice graphics and support. The source etc can be got from here and the main site is here.

Turtle Arena - this seems to be a Quake 3 mod that looks suspiciously like it is based on a TV show starring 4 amphibious crime-fighting teenagers! Game source and data files are here.

Crystal Space - Details on compiling etc are here. It's based on the Unreal engine and looks nice on this video.

Scorched3D - This one looks quite nice. It's a "shoot the hell out of the other person with big mortars" sort of game. Lots of download/compile options here. Looks pretty nice in this video.

OGRE - this is a 3D engine that looks like it's going to be used for all sorts of stuff. There are details on how to compile here and a massive list of games that are/will use it here. Hopefully once the engine is compiled, the games won't need any work.

FTEQW - apart from having a stupid name it seems to be a remake of the Quake 1 & 2 engine(s). I'm not sure if this uses the commercial PAKs for Quake etc or free versions so I'm uncertain as to whether to bother posting this. But anyway, it has code etc here.

Xonotic - this seems to be a fork/continuation of Nexuiz after it went commercial and closed source. You can get the source and LOADS of download options here. This may be a better bet than Nexuiz as that is basically stopped now and this is just starting. As you can see from the video here it has lovely graphics and looks a lot like Nexuiz still.

Red Eclipse - it has an SVN etc here. Yet another FPS. Nice graphics, but dreadful sound effects if you watch this video.

Marathon: Aleph One - You can get the source here and probably need the game files etc too. Seems to be on the same level as Doom for the graphics here.

SANGER_A2

Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am

Other games I've played and forgotten about until now!

Making all these lists has reminded me of some other non-Quake 3 based multiplayer games that we play, but I forgot to post them earlier. If I'm given permission to edit my posts I'll copy this into the earlier post and delete this one.

Teeworlds - this game is incredible! It's not the easiest to configure a server, but I made up a little batch file in windows to let you choose the map etc and this would be just as easy in linux. It's totally crazy and brilliant fun. I always get totally whipped if I go online. You can get the source etc here. It's a 2D platform game with tiny levels where there are loads of little smilies with weapons that beat the cr@p out of each other. On yeah, you get a ninja rope to move around with as well.

Hedgewars - This is a worms clone made using hedgehogs for some reason. Everyone knows what worms is so it doesn't need any more explanations. The kids aren't quite as into it as the 3D games or Teeworlds, but the multiplayer is good. You can get the code etc here.

Armagetron Advanced - This is a multi/single-player version of the Tron light-bikes games and takes quite a lot of skill. The multiplayer is all done ingame, but the keys aren't the easiest to get used to. It can be compiled etc from here. It hasn't been updated for a while, but it's so simple it doesn't really need it.

Digital Paint: Paintball 2.0 - This is a paintball game based on the Quake 2 engine. It's good fun. The guns etc are pretty realistic and the maps are good fun. The graphics are a bit dated, but it is still being updated even now! You can get the source code etc here.

Right. I've covered all the games I know of and those I found out about when searching around today. If there are any others that COULD be ported to the R-Pi, please let me know.

bnolsen

Thu May 10, 2012 4:01 am

Thanks for doing the legwork for the source code links!

SANGER_A2

Thu May 10, 2012 8:16 am

bnolsen said:

Thanks for doing the legwork for the source code links!

Cheers. Hope it's useful to people when they start looking into porting some games. Plus I can then try them out in the school!

ghans

Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 am

Can I put this on the wiki ?
Looks brilliant , and should not be forgotten here.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

JonB

Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 am

Suitable for schools? They look like violent FPS games to me.

SANGER_A2

Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 am

JonB said:

Suitable for schools? They look like violent FPS games to me.

Lol. I should point out we have a permission letter we get the parents to sign before the students are allowed to attend the club after school! These games are nothing compared to the gore and violence in the modern games they play on the Xbox 360 etc at home anyway!

Also, the second-most popular game is spring - the gameplay of which is wholly based around strategy, resource-management and team-work.

SANGER_A2

Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 am

ghans said:

Can I put this on the wiki ?
Looks brilliant , and should not be forgotten here.

ghans

Definitely. I considered doing it, but couldn't even find how to make a new page!

stevepdp

Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 pm

EA mentioned at the Ubuntu Developer Summit a few days ago that they had released source code for the first Sim City and Sims titles.

The Sim City source code was released under a different name, "Micropolis", with all references to "Sim City" apparently removed. The project page and source code can be found here.

The Sims source code was released in prototype form by the looks of things and released under the name "The Soul Of The Sims". At the very least it might be interesting look at how commercial games were developed back then. The project page for that can be found here.

SANGER_A2

Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 pm

stevepdp said:

EA mentioned at the Ubuntu Developer Summit a few days ago that they had released source code for the first Sim City and Sims titles.

The Sim City source code was released under a different name, "Micropolis", with all references to "Sim City" apparently removed. The project page and source code can be found here.

The Sims source code was released in prototype form by the looks of things and released under the name "The Soul Of The Sims". At the very least it might be interesting look at how commercial games were developed back then. The project page for that can be found here.

Nice. They could be added to the Wiki. I was focusing on multiplayer games really that didn't need Internet access so there are probably loads of titles like this out there that can be ported. If there is a games section added to the Wiki I think that separating them out into single-player and multi-player would be a good idea. Games like that train simulator that someone posted on here could also be added to the single-player section...

jaakkos

Fri May 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Duke Nukem 3D (eduke32 - a port of the original engine) runs well on Raspberry Pi with the original software rasterizer The OGL version could also be ported. I also think OpenRA (Red Alert reconstruction) will work.

Ed Raket

Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Sim city, Duke nukem? If this could/would only appear on the Pi.... Excuse me, i need to wet myself now ;P

p.s.

(i will need an other undy when RS tells me i can place my order...;)

SANGER_A2

Sat May 12, 2012 7:26 am

Ed Raket said:

Sim city, Duke nukem? If this could/would only appear on the Pi.... Excuse me, i need to wet myself now ;P

p.s.

Lol. I used to love playing those two games. Duke Nukem 3D used to seem so violent! And it had "semi-naked" women in it! Shocking!!!

jaakkos

Sat May 12, 2012 4:13 pm

SANGER_A2 said:

Ed Raket said:

p.s.

Lol. I used to love playing those two games. Duke Nukem 3D used to seem so violent! And it had "semi-naked" women in it! Shocking!!!

As said, Duke Nukem 3D already runs fine on R-Pi, sound works too. eduke32 is a port of the original engine. You build it with 'make POLYMER=0 USE_OPENGL=0 NOASM=1'. However, you still need a small patch to run it in the framebuffer, since SDL fails to realize it needs to convert from 8bpp (Duke graphics) to 16bpp (on FB). I could put the patch somewhere.

benosteen

Sat May 12, 2012 4:50 pm

(Quick aside about OpenGL vs OpenGL ES)

It's worth mentioning that the normal "Quake III" engine *doesn't* work on the Pi. Its graphics code was written for fixed pipeline OpenGL which was the older mechanism for working with it.

The Pi supports OpenGL ES 2.0, and this doesn't include support for the older fixed render pipeline routines.

However, the ioquake3 (http://ioquake3.org/) port of that engine does run quite happily on the RPi, as the ioquake devs have rewritten all the old video code for the newer, programmable pipeline over the past couple of years (since 08?).

Morgaine

Sun May 13, 2012 3:47 am

Sauerbraten is a portable open source FPS that runs fast even on low-end Linux machines with old GPUs, so it's quite likely to run on the Pi. An ARM port was discussed some time back and no showstoppers were identified.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

SANGER_A2

Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 am

benosteen wrote:(Quick aside about OpenGL vs OpenGL ES)

It's worth mentioning that the normal "Quake III" engine *doesn't* work on the Pi. Its graphics code was written for fixed pipeline OpenGL which was the older mechanism for working with it.

The Pi supports OpenGL ES 2.0, and this doesn't include support for the older fixed render pipeline routines.

However, the ioquake3 (http://ioquake3.org/) port of that engine does run quite happily on the RPi, as the ioquake devs have rewritten all the old video code for the newer, programmable pipeline over the past couple of years (since 08?).
Sweet. That means most of those FPS games/mods I listed above should work fine! :)

clacktronics

Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 am

I am really interested in OpenRA (red alert) I saw it mentioned here and quickly loaded it on my Mac wow forgot how fun it was. They have it on github haven't looked properly into it because I got addicted!

Love to do Unreal / UT but it looks like its quite closed.
My Kickstarter for a analogue AV out - kck.st/1SuGDvV

Ed Raket

Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 pm

jaakkos wrote:SANGER_A2 said:

Ed Raket said:

p.s.

As said, Duke Nukem 3D already runs fine on R-Pi, sound works too. eduke32 is a port of the original engine. You build it with 'make POLYMER=0 USE_OPENGL=0 NOASM=1'. However, you still need a small patch to run it in the framebuffer, since SDL fails to realize it needs to convert from 8bpp (Duke graphics) to 16bpp (on FB). I could put the patch somewhere.
Oh you made me happy, if RS would only let me order... Shake it baby! :D

Aux

Wed May 23, 2012 8:12 am

I would like to note, that some of Quake 3 Arena graphics are freely available as a part of Q3A demo, which is easily downloadable from id Software website. I used their demos a lot to test different engines like ioquake.

Max

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:24 pm

jaakkos wrote:As said, Duke Nukem 3D already runs fine on R-Pi, sound works too. eduke32 is a port of the original engine. You build it with 'make POLYMER=0 USE_OPENGL=0 NOASM=1'. However, you still need a small patch to run it in the framebuffer, since SDL fails to realize it needs to convert from 8bpp (Duke graphics) to 16bpp (on FB). I could put the patch somewhere.
Noticed you can run it without patch with: sudo SDL_FB_BROKEN_MODES=1 ./eduke32
But seems to run a bit too slow to be playable in this mode.

donny

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Max wrote:
jaakkos wrote:As said, Duke Nukem 3D already runs fine on R-Pi, sound works too. eduke32 is a port of the original engine. You build it with 'make POLYMER=0 USE_OPENGL=0 NOASM=1'. However, you still need a small patch to run it in the framebuffer, since SDL fails to realize it needs to convert from 8bpp (Duke graphics) to 16bpp (on FB). I could put the patch somewhere.
Noticed you can run it without patch with: sudo SDL_FB_BROKEN_MODES=1 ./eduke32
But seems to run a bit too slow to be playable in this mode.
Hello there, I got my PI up and running and would love to get a hint on which patch you are talking about? I was unable to find something anywhere else on the net to this topic... Thanks!

Return to “Gaming”