Troybuckeye

USB Flash Drive Issues

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Greetings,

I have been attempting to transfer files between my Windows 8 PC and my raspberry Pi via USB stick. At this point I have 2 flash drives that appear to be broken. The files appear to be deleted on both computers, yet when I open the file viewer on the Pi, it shows the files. I just want my flash drives empty and working, as well as the raspberry pi. I want to be able to use them to transfer data.

For some reason, the "eject" feature is not working. Is this an error?

I am hopeful that someone can help me!
Thank you.
Troybuckeye

Troybuckeye

Re: USB Flash Drive Issues

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:06 am

I've reformatted the drives. There is still no method of ejecting from the pi. This is fixed at least temporarily. I hope permanantly.

rpdom

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 am

(I'm going to assume you're using Raspbian)

The eject function (which is just a command called "eject" isn't installed.

You will need to install it yourself, using the commands

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install eject
Then the eject function should work.

redhawk

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 am

umount /dev/sda1 should unmount your flash drive which should be no different to ejecting.
If you require a lot of file transfers between PC and Pi (on same network) then perhaps WinSCP - http://winscp.net/eng/index.php would be a better option.

Richard S.

rpdom

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 am

redhawk wrote:umount /dev/sda1 should unmount your flash drive which should be no different to ejecting.
There is a slight (but not important) difference between unmounting and ejecting.

Eject does an unmount first, but then it sends the device a disconnect command. It depends on if the device supports it or not. On some devices it will cause them to go offline completely (sometimes an LED will turn off) and you can't mount the drive again without unplugging it and plugging back in. If you get one that does this it is a useful visual cue that the device is ready for removal.

Return to “Troubleshooting”