BrianXP7

The User Friendliness of Pidora but under Raspbian

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 am

I noticed how Pidora is very user friendly with it's design. It has a first boot setup utility, a LightDM GTK greeter (automatic boot into a graphic login screen), and XFCE as it's default desktop environment. However, I want all of this on Raspian because I'm much more familiar with Debian than Fedora. (Personal preference. It has the default packages and commands I'm used to for years.) Are there any tips on doing the same with my current installation of it? I currently have XFCE and it's extra packages installed. Not much else is done other than RetroPie, a server, and a working build environment.

I also want to mention the Greybird theme has some kind of issue with GTK+. Is it just me? Also, how do I setup my panels similar to that of Xubuntu?

Thanks for your help! :)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The User Friendliness of Pidora but under Raspbian

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am

BrianXP7 wrote:I noticed how Pidora is very user friendly with it's design. It has a first boot setup utility
The raspberry pi foundation image boots to raspi-config on first boot. Is there any particular functionality difference you are thinking of.
a LightDM GTK greeter (automatic boot into a graphic login screen),
The raspberry pi foundation raspbian image already has this installed but disabled by default. AIUI this was a deliberate descision to expose people to the command line. You can enable it with update-rc.d lightdm enable 2

There is also an option in raspi-config to enable graphical boot but unfortunately for some reason they decided to conflate enabling graphical boot with enabling autologin.
and XFCE as it's default desktop environment.
Well which desktop environment to install is up to those making the image. I dunno why the raspberry pi foundation chose lxde.

I'm not sure how the default desktop environment is determined if more than one is installed.
I also want to mention the Greybird theme has some kind of issue with GTK+.
No idea.

Return to “General discussion”