JaZZCooL

Making of Raspberry Pi with 1GB RAM!

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 pm

hey guys,
Actually I searched on the Internet and people are making cheap super computers by joining many raspberry pis together. I wanted to do the same but not with many but just 2 or 3, I wanted to make a Raspberry pi computer with 1Gb RAM, a little bit of more speed than what Raspberry pi covers and an extra usb ports (which was not the ultimate requirement but still ). Can anyone help with that. Can I meet my requirements by joining two raspberry pis together?Will speed up my computer?

Your help is highly appreciated.

SirLagz

Re: Making of Raspberry Pi with 1GB RAM!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:35 am

In other words...you want a pandaboard

You can't join two Raspberry Pis together to make one computer. You can distribute processing across two raspberry pis, but that won't double the speed or memory of anything unless the application is specifically designed to take advantage of distributed computing. And even then, it won't be anywhere near double the power / memory because of overheads.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 am

I think there is...a lack of clarity here. Clustering Pis has already been discussed.

There are other 1GHz, 1GB boards out there besides the Pandaboard. Two other examples are the Beaglebone Black (aka BBB) and the Cubieboard. Each costs more than one Pi, but less than two. There is also the Parallela board which is somewhat more expensive but has some interesting capabilities.

SirLagz

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:I think there is...a lack of clarity here. Clustering Pis has already been discussed.

There are other 1GHz, 1GB boards out there besides the Pandaboard. Two other examples are the Beaglebone Black (aka BBB) and the Cubieboard. Each costs more than one Pi, but less than two. There is also the Parallela board which is somewhat more expensive but has some interesting capabilities.
I just picked the first ARM board that had 1GB of ram that came to mind :D
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

owen_a

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 am

I'm still saving to get the ODROID-U2, that's the best I have ever seen anyway.

pjc123

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 am

I am stepping up to the UDOO quad for my main experimental device, but only after their community grows a bit, more programs are compiled for their version of ARM, I get feedback from the forums about any issues, and possibly wait for a Rev 2 version (I didn't mind getting different revs with the Pi because it is so cheap). This is a brand new product and their first devices started shipping a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a pretty good comparison of the various different boards. There are many other comparisons out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_si ... _computers
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

redhawk

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:22 am

The Pi cannot support 1GB of RAM in it's current form only 512MB, I can't remember the specifics but I believe this is a limitation of the SoC.

Richard S.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:09 pm

redhawk wrote:The Pi cannot support 1GB of RAM in it's current form only 512MB, I can't remember the specifics but I believe this is a limitation of the SoC.

Richard S.
Actually, no-one makes a PoP 1GB ram that fits.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

karlkiste

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:39 pm

JaZZCooL wrote:hey guys,
Actually I searched on the Internet and people are making cheap super computers by joining many raspberry pis together.
I also had that idea, but I came to the conclusion that it's inefficient - for $150 you get a mini-itx dual-core intel atom computer with 1.8GHz. You'll need more than four pis to match that processing power. Those pis together draw more electric power than the atom. So, when it's processor power you want, the atom beats the pi in money, current and probably even in required space.

The pi is a great, versatile device. But it's not the ultimate solution for every task.

hydra3333

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 pm

for $150 you get a mini-itx dual-core intel atom computer with 1.8GHz. You'll need more than four pis to match that processing power. Those pis together draw more electric power than the atom. So, when it's processor power you want, the atom beats the pi in money, current and probably even in required space.
Wondering, what about the forum support and especially libraries of pre-compiled applications for that board (the Pi has great support and large application library compiled for the Pi) ? It seems to me that it is essential - otherwise you have a pretty board with not much to run on it ?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:11 am

Just a silly idea, but what would work is to set up one PI as a fast RAM drive, and let another PI use it as an extremely fast virtual memory (swap) drive. It would still be far slower than having real local RAM, but much faster than any USB stick swap file system. the swap server could use a minimal OS to maximize the free RAM available.

Also, I have it on good authority that in theory the DSI (LCD panel interface) connection could theoretically be (mis)used as an extremely fast intercommunication bus between two PI's. Although details how to do such a thing are missing, and you probably need specific GPU support to pull it off.

karlkiste

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:51 am

hydra3333 wrote:
for $150 you get a mini-itx dual-core intel atom computer
Wondering, what about the forum support and especially libraries of pre-compiled applications for that board [... or] you have a pretty board with not much to run on it ?
Well, It's i386 platform, it runs ubuntu, macos, dos, windows, ... There's quite a bit of software available.

And, right mahjongg, I remember having that idea, too ;-) But I only have lots of model A pis which lack the needed network port, so I've never tried the "network ramdrive" setup.

linux18

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:35 am

1GByte PoP is hear.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... &iaId=2394

But I think ODROID-U3 seems to be a good solution.
It is $59 and 2GByte RAM. Debian and Ubuntu works flawlessly.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 8733896281

Return to “Beginners”