spiralofhope

HDMI washed out / too bright

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I don't have adapters to test with DVI or VGA.

Raspbian - unsure of the version, it was via NOOBS 1.2 (latest as of this writing)

I had an issue with the screen not expanding to fill all available monitor. This was solved by editing /boot/config.txt for disable_overscan=1

However, the screen remains "too bright". My monitor's brightness is already on minimum. I do know my desktop has the same sort of issue, so it's possible this is a monitor issue, but my gut tells me it's a Linux issue that happens to be shared between my desktop and the Pi.

I've searched the web and this forum, but with no real results.. I'm guessing I'm not describing my issue well enough.

Is this a simple gamma issue? If so, how is that configured?

I could do more testing with other distributions, if needed.

drgeoff

Re: HDMI washed out / too bright

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:22 am

Take your RPi to a friend (or other place) that has a HDMI monitor or TV and boot it up. I expect that will show that there is nothing wrong with your RPi and the reason that both your RPi and desktop PC appear too bright and washed out is down to your monitor.

spiralofhope

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for your response.

I took it to an HDMI-capable television, and it does indeed look fantastic.

I guess my monitor is just crappy. =(

Dave001

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:42 am

Old post, but since it's the first one to come up on a Google search for "Raspberry PI 2 HDMI output to bright", I thought I better reply since the information supplied in this thread is incorrect.

I also had this problem, and adding hdmi_pixel_encoding=2 to config.txt fixed the problem completely.

There are 5 settings to try. info can be found here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

Return to “Troubleshooting”