bakedraspberrypie

Help with getting to Noobs recovery

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 am

I downloaded Noobs on a SD card and installed Raspbian. It worked, but I am not able to get back to Noobs recovery to download another os. I have tried holding down the shift key, but that didn't work. Any would be very useful.
Thanks.

DeeJay

Re: Help with getting to Noobs recovery

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:06 am

When you reboot (power on) your RPi with NOOBS on the SD card it should briefly (about 5 seconds) display a message and icon on the screen saying something like "Hold Shift for recovery" - are seeing that? Did the keyboard work correctly when you used NOOBS to install Raspbian in the first place?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

rdb

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 am

Are you pressing shift at boot or just when the recovery splashscreen is displayed?

Could you try both?

jackokring

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 am

Push "3" the number. Since NOOBS 1.2, the screen is blank on composite unless 3 for PAL, or 4 for NTSC standard composite is selected. Then push shift. Hope this helps.

1 - Default HDMI
2 - Safe HDMI
3 - PAL Composite
4 - NTSC Composite

SECAM is not an option.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 pm

DeeJay wrote:When you reboot (power on) your RPi with NOOBS on the SD card it should briefly (about 5 seconds) display a message and icon on the screen saying something like "Hold Shift for recovery" - are seeing that? Did the keyboard work correctly when you used NOOBS to install Raspbian in the first place?
The keyboard works correctly and I am seeing the "Hold Shift for Recovery Screen", but shift does not seem to work.

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm

rdb wrote:Are you pressing shift at boot or just when the recovery splashscreen is displayed?

Could you try both?
I have tried both.

rdb

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Could you provide details on your keyboard setup?

DeeJay

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 pm

User @rdb who has already replied is one of the developers of NOOBS, so you have his attention and I suggest you work with him to pursue your issue.

In the meantime - after you've seen the screen saying "Hold Shift... ", what happens? I'd expect either that the system defaults to rebooting the installed Operating System (Raspbian in your case), or that it appears to be frozen/hung. If that's the case, which is it?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 pm

jackokring wrote:Push "3" the number. Since NOOBS 1.2, the screen is blank on composite unless 3 for PAL, or 4 for NTSC standard composite is selected. Then push shift. Hope this helps.

1 - Default HDMI
2 - Safe HDMI
3 - PAL Composite
4 - NTSC Composite

SECAM is not an option.
This didn't seem to help, but thanks.

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:42 pm

rdb wrote:Could you provide details on your keyboard setup?
101 key US keyboard, I set it up during config.

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:44 pm

DeeJay wrote:User @rdb who has already replied is one of the developers of NOOBS, so you have his attention and I suggest you work with him to pursue your issue.

In the meantime - after you've seen the screen saying "Hold Shift... ", what happens? I'd expect either that the system defaults to rebooting the installed Operating System (Raspbian in your case), or that it appears to be frozen/hung. If that's the case, which is it?
It boots to Raspbian.

rdb

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Ideally we want to know the make and model of the keyboard.

Does it work as expected in Raspbian? Any repeating keys etc?

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 pm

rdb wrote:Ideally we want to know the make and model of the keyboard.

It says "Logitech Classic Keyboard 200", no repeating keys, shift+letter=cap letter.

bakedraspberrypie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:10 pm

rdb wrote:Ideally we want to know the make and model of the keyboard.

It works in Raspbian as expected.

rfc1795

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I had the same problem, tried with one shift key, then the other, then both. Midway at the splash screen, after, from the start.. all gave same results and had me back in the system.
In the end, I just formatted the card and copied the noobs stuff over. Busy reinstalling at the moment.

I'm using a Dell SK-8125 keyboard if that's any help.

KJRB

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Try this:
- shut down
- connect keyboard directly (no usb hub)
and/or
- change usb of the keyboard and mouse
- boot and hold Shift
======================================
... take a minute and explain ..., it will come back to you ...

n0nick

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:48 am

FWIW, I had the exact same problem, with a Lenovo SK-8825 USB keyboard.
Disconnecting the mouse and using the top USB port for the keyboard did the trick.

carolammiers

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:55 pm

I just want to say thanks very much for this thread because I tried it and it worked. The first time I looked it seemed too complicated, because at first all the terms are new. That said, having someone's HDMI input on their flatscreen helped a lot to know that the output was there, the next step was to get my own screen with the RCA input working. That was a mikomi and I had no remote so I got a universal remote control for £1 and managed to get it to change the inputs.
If I had had to do it without having an HDMI to edit the config.txt file, I am not sure I would have used Noobs but tried to show all the files on the SD card putting it in my laptop and edit the config.txt that way, is that the best way to do it?
But it is really good to have a reliable thread to be able to trust what is written, so to be able to work from anywhere, on one's own and make headway with something new.

mcnaughtonb

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:45 am

Try the right shift key. My left shift key does not work.

mcnaughtonb

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 pm

bakedraspberrypie wrote:I downloaded Noobs on a SD card and installed Raspbian. It worked, but I am not able to get back to Noobs recovery to download another os. I have tried holding down the shift key, but that didn't work. Any would be very useful.
Thanks.
Try the right shift key as the left shift key does not work on my machine on boot but is functioning when in an application.

doughnut

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Echoing thanks for this thread!

I'd mistakenly powered my Pi down while multiple OSes were /first installing/ from NOOBS. Not good I'm sure! I'd selected more than one for install, including Arch and Raspbian. When powered back on, Arch came up in console mode withe the word 'alarm' in the login prompt. This can't be right.

So I googled "raspi reset noobs," which brought me here.

My keyboard and mouse is a very nice looking wireless set from China via Adafruit, but it has no name, and no model number. It has a one very small wireless USB receiver dongle that picks up both the keyboard and mouse.

So I tried this, and it worked:
* Shutdown the console mode Arch that was running
* Disconnected power form the Pi
* Moved the wireless USB receiver dongle to the upper USB port
* Held down the left SHIFT key
* While keeping that SHIFT key down, plugged power back into the Pi
* Waited while the video initialized
* Success: Up comes the NOOBS install screen!

Thanks!

-Doughnut

CianHa

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:31 am

Had simialr issues, swapped my cheap 'n' cheerful octigen KB for a Dell USB KB, and it worked.

Hold SHIFT from power on, then 3 to force PAL video.

Thanks to all for your help!

DrFatBob

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:27 am

Just playing with my Xmas Pi (B+ I think) and had the same problem.

Solution that worked was to swap the USB port the keyboard was connected to. It was already in one of hte top ones so just swapped to the other.

Perhaps a better way would be to have a command line script which could boot into noobs? Something like "reboot -noobs" or the like.My unix command line knowledge is very rusty so don't know if it's possible.

ThatGuyNick

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 pm

this is going make me sound a complete incompetent idiot but i need to enter NOOBS recovery and after searching on google and finding myself here reading through the entire thread, disconnecting mouse, switching usb ports, holding shift before boot etc. I still can not enter recovery.

Return to “Troubleshooting”