Jasonmason

Controller issues with emulation station.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 am

I'm having issues setting up my snes controller. It works upon startup but won't work once the game starts. Ive tried different controllers, reflashing the sdcard and trying a sleep command. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Katamari

Re: Controller issues with emulation station.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Did you follow all of the directions and set up the emulator controls? EmulationStation uses a separate config file for the controls than the emulators themselves. As such, you have to set up the controls for the emulators separately than the one that automatically pops up the first time you use emulationstation. I would suggest you read through this tutorial for emulationStation and the emulators as it explains how to set up both sets of controls and how to change them later on: http://supernintendopi.wordpress.com/
You won't need to use all of it if you are keeping a keyboard, but it walks you through all the essential ideas and components.

AlexWKUF

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Katamari is correct - there is a separate configuration process for those.

In addition you can configure the dgen controls by editing RetroPie/configs/all/dgenrc. Be aware: hat buttons aren't quite working in dgen-sdl 1.32, but will be fixed in 1.33. If you need help getting joystick hats working and don't want to wait until then, send me a PM.

carawaynathan

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 pm

im actually still having the same issue listed above and have followed the instructions closely.
does anyone have any other suggestions?

tetreaul

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Did you get your controller working in the game? If not, follow these steps from the link Katamari posted...

Once you are done with this, it should boot up EmulationStation. You should now be able to use your controller to navigate the EmulationStation menu. Keep in mind that this is only the controls for the frontend, not for the emulators. We’ll get to that now.

Press F4 to exit EmulationStation and go back to terminal.

cd RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools
./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
Next you are going to use your controller and follow the prompts. If your controller has less buttons than the config tries to setup (My SNES controllers lack the R2/L2, R3/L3, and Joysticks), then you need to select a dummy button (I used left trigger) for the buttons you don’t have. We will edit those out later. Once this is done, it will bring you back to the terminal.

At this point, you should be ready to game with one controller. If you type sudo reboot in your terminal, it should restart, and bring you into EmulationStation on the restart. You can then use the controller to select a game and play it. To setup a second controller, go back to your terminal (Esc to exit game, F4 to exit EmulationStation) and follow the next steps:

1Bobby23

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 pm

I have the same problem. My solution is to have all the controllers you want to use plugged in when you launch the rom, then one it starts unplug the controller(s) and reconnect them to the same ports. That works for me

Return to “Gaming”