jjplano

video capture

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:14 am

hi guys

has someone got some usb video capture device to work on the raspberry?

maybe an easycap dongle or another kind of similar hardware?

thanks!

Thaddy

Re: video capture

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 pm

The camera module?
And the associated drivers and software prove videocapture is now standard in Raspbian.

bbb

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 pm

hi,

I have had some success with a sparkle Pinnacle Dazzle DVC which uses a em28xx chip - which I believe is the same as some of the easycap dongles.

for em28xx to work I had to apply a patch to the Linux kernel driver :(

from http://bufobufomagic.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -sudo.html
"but we need to edit em28xx-core.c and remake this. The sed command below changes height >>= norm_maxh(dev)to height = norm_maxh(dev) >> 1 in /linux/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-core.c to solve a portability issue to ARM. (Makarov, 2012)"

I just got the sources for the raspberry pi kernel, applied the patch and copied over em28xx.ko to the pi under /lib/modules (didn't bother getting the latest drivers from git://linuxtv.org).

The PS3 eye works out-the-box with latest raspbian without any patching.

If you have some idea of what you want to do with video once its captured (e.g. just recording to file, networking stream etc ...) I can give you some pointers ... most of the info on the forums is about webcams if you start searching around.

Defiant

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Can you please confirm, that you have an em28xx working without any image issues?

What kernel are you using?

wildbill001

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:22 am

I'm a real neophyte with regards to video capture so excuse the dumb question here.

Would what you are describing allow me to take a signal from a VCR, capture it via the Pi and save it or stream it to another device for storage?

I've got some old tapes I need to convert and if it can be done inexpensively (i.e., less than it would cost to buy a dedicated device) I'd love to know how to do it.

Bill W.

ghans

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 am

Those USB capture devices tend to work much better on PCs ,
but in theory , yes , this is how you would do it on a Pi.

In both cases you will have to buy the capture device itself.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

bbb

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Defiant wrote:Can you please confirm, that you have an em28xx working without any image issues?

What kernel are you using?
Yes I have had success with em28xx I had apply the patch from http://bufobufomagic.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -sudo.html

only at 360x288 - had it stream to ustream and udp for many hours without issue.

kernel is Linux version 3.6.11+
jjplano wrote:hi guys

has someone got some usb video capture device to work on the raspberry?

maybe an easycap dongle or another kind of similar hardware?

thanks!
I have a cheap easycap DC60 dongle with STK1160 chip-set and without the AC'97 codec so only mono 8000khz audio and find it streams video for about 5-10 minutes and just stops at any res.

edit:: and only at around 10-12 fps with the easycap driver. em28xx runs at 25fps.

That is with the easycap driver.

I did try compiling the recent v4l drivers from http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git to get the more recent STK1160 driver, but had some missing symbol issues when trying to load the compiled modules :(

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”