charley_66

Using VGA Moniter with Noobs

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:31 pm

*I'm very new to this, so please explain like I'm five*

Hi,

I'm using a vga-hdmi converter, and the noobs software.

I go to start my pi, and I get an 'out of range' message. I researched the problem, and I now need to uncomment some file in the config text.

The problem is, I viewed the files on my SD card on my regular computer, and I can't locate the config texts and such.

My computer is a very old Mac.

Thank you in advance for the help!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Using VGA Moniter with Noobs

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 am

Files should be easily findable on the card, especially config.txt, or perhaps there was a problem when you copied the contents of the zip file to the card?

also read the wiki:
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

perhaps it would be easier to connect the PI to a TV using the composite video input, so you can see if it boots, you can then edit the config.txt file from the NOOBS menu.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4100

charley_66

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:17 am

Even with NOOBS?

I tried looking again, but didnt find it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:20 am

what do you see when you put the card back into your mac?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:26 am

Okay, my bad, I suddenly realized you didn't make any install yet, and config.txt is (only) installed after you choose to install a linux variant. config.txt doesn't exist on the card until then.

the NOOBS menu itself shouldn't need config.txt, as it uses the most elementary VGA format that any (VGA) monitor should be able to display.

By default, NOOBS 1.2 will try to output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, you can manually select a different output mode by pressing one of the following number keys on your keyboard;

1. HDMI preferred mode - this is the default display mode for NOOBS.
2. HDMI safe mode - select this mode if your display is connected to the Pi's HDMI connector and you cannot see anything on screen after the Pi has booted.
3. Composite PAL mode - select either this mode or composite NTSC mode if you are using the composite RCA video connector on the Pi
4. Composite NTSC mode

So in your case you will need to boot the Pi, wait for a second or so, then press either 3 or 4 until you get a display on your monitor.

You can tell that your keypress has been registered as the green ACT LED will turn on after the key has been pressed before switching off once the display mode has been changed. If you still do no see a display after the LED goes off then try another mode.

charley_66

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 am

Ok, thank you so much!!!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:42 am

:D

pluggy

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 am

tut tut, how did you get to be moderator ? ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm

charley_66 wrote: I'm using a vga-hdmi converter, and the noobs software.
While I very much hope that the advice was productive and everything is now working, I have a word of caution for anyone connecting a Pi to a VGA monitor.

Be *very* careful in how you specify a converter between HDMI and VGA. What you want is an "HDMI to VGA" converter, not the other way around.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:15 pm

pluggy wrote:tut tut, how did you get to be moderator ? ;)
I was asked....

Its not as if moderators get special courses in this stuff, or get "advanced previews" or something like that, (unless we are used as guinea pigs) we get our information the same way as you "normal humans" :ugeek: In fact we (mostly) are normal humans. :P :lol:

charley_66

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:13 am

When I plug in my pi now, I get an out-of-range error message on my monitor. Any ideas?

rpdom

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 am

I think mahjongg meant to suggest press "2", not "3" or "4", as you are using HDMI to VGA.

Also, with some of these converters I have found that it makes a difference with the order things are switched on. Monitor first, then converter, then Pi.

lewmur

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:42 pm

charley_66 wrote:*I'm very new to this, so please explain like I'm five*

Hi,

I'm using a vga-hdmi converter, and the noobs software.

I go to start my pi, and I get an 'out of range' message. I researched the problem, and I now need to uncomment some file in the config text.

The problem is, I viewed the files on my SD card on my regular computer, and I can't locate the config texts and such.

My computer is a very old Mac.

Thank you in advance for the help!
The "out of range message" means the HDMI mode is set to too high a resolution for the VGA monitor to handle. The config.txt file, where you make the changes, is in the 60mb FAT partition of your SD Card when mounted on your MAC.

rpdom

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 pm

lewmur wrote:The "out of range message" means the HDMI mode is set to too high a resolution for the VGA monitor to handle. The config.txt file, where you make the changes, is in the 60mb FAT partition of your SD Card when mounted on your MAC.
As I understand it, the OP is starting out with NOOBS which has a large VFAT partition and no config.txt file at that point.

This is why there are the key-press options to select different video modes.

(I can't check this, as I am about 200 miles from my Pi right now. Maybe tomorrow night when I get home)

rdb

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Try pressing 2 after your Pi has booted. This will force the output into VGA safe mode which will work on all HDMI compatible displays.

dpalomar

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am

Hi, same issue was detected in my case.
I use a Pi-view hdmi-vga connector and booting from noobs shows a rainbow screen but after that a black screen.
If after rainbow screen press the 2 key the noobs menu for OS selection appears, but when I select an option the black screen again and "No cable signal " messsage from monitor.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:39 pm

dpalomar wrote:Hi, same issue was detected in my case.
I use a Pi-view hdmi-vga connector and booting from noobs shows a rainbow screen but after that a black screen.
If after rainbow screen press the 2 key the noobs menu for OS selection appears, but when I select an option the black screen again and "No cable signal " messsage from monitor.
Is your HDMI to VGA converter powered externally? I was able to use an externally powered one to test a NOOBS installation w/o problems as shown here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... i2Vga.html
(However the monitor's resolution was good enough not to need hdmi-safe-mode ie. key '2', IIRC)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rhvfox

Wed May 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Have had the exact same issue: I have an HDMI-VGA Adapter and was getting the Out of Range message. The solution for me was pressing 2 on the keyboard after rebooting the Pi and, to my amazement, it worked. Thanks for the help!

mafekk

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi!

So, the following is what happens with me. Hardware: I have a Raspberry Pi 1 with a keyboard and a HDMI-VGA cable to a screen. I have2 SD cards:
- 4GB one that runs, but does not go to startx because it has too little space available
- 32GB one with Noobs (files at its root yes)

I would like to use that 32GB one. However, it does not show anything on the screen, nor does the caps lock key on the keyboard result in its light switching on (you know how keyboards feature indicator lights about which locks you've switched on). This lack of indicator light makes me think the keyboards signals do not influence the Pi. Anyway - pressing numbers doesn't work - I've tried them all while taking out the power plug in between.
Strange thing is: screen works perfectly with 4GB SD card!

Can you save me?
Love, Marte

Return to “General discussion”