MrEngman

Who broke rpi-update?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Just tried rpi-update and got this error

Code: Select all

2013-06-14 15:35:36 (754 KB/s) - `//root/.rpi-firmware/0ef3d91e613a3d8db5debbd7eb8105071bfcb9be.tar.gz' saved [31990166]

*** Updating firmware
`//root/.rpi-firmware/arm128_start.elf' -> `/boot/arm128_start.elf'
`//root/.rpi-firmware/arm192_start.elf' -> `/boot/arm192_start.elf'
`//root/.rpi-firmware/arm224_start.elf' -> `/boot/arm224_start.elf'
`//root/.rpi-firmware/arm240_start.elf' -> `/boot/arm240_start.elf'
`//root/.rpi-firmware/bootcode.bin' -> `/boot/bootcode.bin'
`//root/.rpi-firmware/loader.bin' -> `/boot/loader.bin'
cp: cannot stat `//root/.rpi-firmware/*.dat': No such file or directory
In older versions there are no *.dat files so why create an error? It didn't used to.

I was trying to update from " 3.1.9+ #272 PREEMPT Tue Aug 7 22:51:44 BST 2012" to "3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012" in the process of doing some tests and got that error for cp.

This seems to be something resent as I have previously been able to change versions using sudo rpi-update commitID with no trouble at all in the past, either changing from an older revision to a newer one or reverting back to an older revision. In this case the command was

sudo rpi-update 0ef3d91e613a3d8db5debbd7eb8105071bfcb9be
And something else I've noticed a couple of times before that you could fix.

*** Relaunching after update
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS
 *** ARM/GPU split is now defined in /boot/config.txt using the gpu_mem option!
 *** We're running for the first time
 *** Setting up firmware (this may take a few minutes)
fatal: destination path '//root/.rpi-firmware' already exists and is not an empty directory.
 !!! Failed to download new firmware files
OK, so the directory is not empty, delete it then! Or if you're trying to be safe at least ask if it can be deleted rather than just fail. rpi-update outputs some much to the screen these days another couple of lines of text isn't going to be noticed.

And "We're running for the first time"??? Been running rpi-update lots of times on this image so it's not the first time - and I'm now trying some more but it's now not working!! Or is this because rpi-update now always downloads itself every time it is run so it is always the first time that the new copy runs.

Linux can be a real pain at times - please try and not to add to the pain.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

PaulCheffus

Re: Who broke rpi-update?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi

Personally I've given up using it as every time I do I end up with an unbootable Pi which I have to restore from a backup.

I now just wait until the firmware improvements appear in the main update.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

MrEngman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:08 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:Hi

Personally I've given up using it as every time I do I end up with an unbootable Pi which I have to restore from a backup.

I now just wait until the firmware improvements appear in the main update.

Cheers

Paul
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but normally I have no problems and regularly use rpi-update. What I was trying to do was a little unusual although I have used it like that before many times with out any problems. Now though rpi-update appears to be behaving differently to how it used to.

There was a problem back in March but that was due to some software that caused directory problems - corrupted some directory entries in the /boot directory - but was easily fixed by re-writing the files.

Other than that I've not had any other problems until now.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

szrpj

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm

You should post an „Issue” on github to be more visible.

NickT

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:28 pm

After several months away from the Pi, owing to house move etc. I returned to do an rpi-update from 3.6.11 #399 March 24th. I ended up with an unbootable Pi that seems to repeat a 3 flash sequence on the OK led and gives no network (wired) connection. I get nothing at all out of the composite video. I normally run the Pi headless. Any suggestions as to an edit or file copy that I could apply to the FAT partition to fix it? This has happened on 2 SD cards and the Pi is a revision 1.

MrEngman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 pm

NickT wrote:After several months away from the Pi, owing to house move etc. I returned to do an rpi-update from 3.6.11 #399 March 24th. I ended up with an unbootable Pi that seems to repeat a 3 flash sequence on the OK led and gives no network (wired) connection. I get nothing at all out of the composite video. I normally run the Pi headless. Any suggestions as to an edit or file copy that I could apply to the FAT partition to fix it? This has happened on 2 SD cards and the Pi is a revision 1.
This problem can occur if your SD card has 3.6.11 #397 March 18 or #399 March 24 and you then do an rpi-update. These versions appeared to load some software that can cause the next rpi-update to write corrupt directory entries for the /boot directory, although the files themselves appear to be OK.

This error can be easily fixed if you have a Windows machine. Just copy the files from the SD card /boot directory to the Windows machine, delete the files in the SD card /boot directory or re-format the /boot directory, and then copy the files from the Windows machine back to the SD card. I've found just deleting the files appears to work OK without any need to re-format the directory. Not sure of the precise solution if you use a Linux system to fix the error but something similar I expect. I think there are fixes using Linux in the following link.

More details here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 22#p324222

MrEngman

NickT

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 am

Thank you MrEngman, that certainly fixed it for me.

Return to “Troubleshooting”