somezachguy

error enabling the camera

Wed May 29, 2013 6:27 pm

I recently got the csi camera for the raspberry pi and it's giving me an error "There was an error running option 5 Enable Camera."
Right now I am running Debian Wheezy off of BerryBoot. I have updated and upgraded ( sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y). I have updated the firmware using raspi-update through sudo apt-get install raspi-update. I've screwed up in the past and am using a bridge over the resetting fuse to run the RPI. I'm not sure what to do now other than install a different OS which I'm hesitant to as I enjoy the multi-boot that is featured with berry boot. If anyone knows a remedy, please speak up. For now I'll be trying different operating systems on berryboot then a clean install of a few operating systems.

swimwiz

Re: error enabling the camera

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:16 am

Sorry posted twice see below
Last edited by swimwiz on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

swimwiz

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 am

I have the same problem with the same Berryboot setup.
With a different sd card using the standard Wheezy system the camera can be set up with config and works ok.
somezachguy wrote:I recently got the csi camera for the raspberry pi and it's giving me an error "There was an error running option 5 Enable Camera."
Right now I am running Debian Wheezy off of BerryBoot. I have updated and upgraded ( sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y). I have updated the firmware using raspi-update through sudo apt-get install raspi-update. I've screwed up in the past and am using a bridge over the resetting fuse to run the RPI. I'm not sure what to do now other than install a different OS which I'm hesitant to as I enjoy the multi-boot that is featured with berry boot. If anyone knows a remedy, please speak up. For now I'll be trying different operating systems on berryboot then a clean install of a few operating systems.

somezachguy

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 am

Just got time to mess with my Pi. It works! Different SD card and raspbian wheezy. Thanks swimwiz :p

kkfang

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi,

I feel very lucky that I have found this post, and that you have found a solution. I have the exact same issue, with error saying "There was an error running option 5 Enable Camera." I am just not sure if I understand your solution correctly.

Are you saying that I need to buy a brand new SD card with new OS (i.e. just Raspbian Wheezy and no Berryboot?) installed to get it to work? Why is that so?

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out on this. It seems like lots of people are struggling to get their pi camera working.

Cheers,

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Looks like berryboot is incompatible with the script that enables the camera in some way.

I think all the script does is set the GPU memory split to give 128 to the GPU, so it's an easy change to make manually.

As a percentage, very few people are having camera problems.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

kkfang

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:20 am

jamesh wrote:Looks like berryboot is incompatible with the script that enables the camera in some way.

I think all the script does is set the GPU memory split to give 128 to the GPU, so it's an easy change to make manually.

As a percentage, very few people are having camera problems.

Hi Jamesh,

Thanks for your reply. I must say that I am still a newbie, and not exactly sure what you mean by the script. Do you mean the config.txt file? If not, where can I find it? I had a look at the config.txt on the SD card (reading on the PC), and it looks different from what I have found on the internet posted by others as example. Could it be due to berryboot?

example:http://elinux.org/R-Pi_ConfigurationFile

The next questions is about how to make this easy change? Do you mean simply editing the config.txt file? I have followed the instructions in the link below to update firmware and added 'start_file' and fixup_file' in config.txt accordingly, and still cannot get it to work.

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/

Your help will be much appreciated. I am using SSH connection from PC by the way, but don't thinkg it makes a difference.

Cheers,

jamesh

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 am

I'm afraid I know nothing of berryboot or what it does. So not really qualified to comment on what may or may not be required.
But
The config.txt file should be in the /boot folder when running the Pi. It has varied over time to have different things in it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

serverguy

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 am

I have run update and upgrade and rpi-update so everything should be up to date. Still cannot enable the camera. Here's the output from option 5 in raspi-config when trying to enable it. I get the error on the raspi-config screen that it cannot enable then this when I return to the terminal. What's wrong here? (Not sure what the "[C]:?" That's not in my original post. Just blank lines there.)
---------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected] ~ $ sudo raspi-config
lua: stdin:6: Input/output error
stack traceback:
[C]: in function '(for generator)'
stdin:6: in main chunk
[C]: ?
mv: cannot move `/boot/config.txt.bak' to `/boot/config.txt': Read-only file system
lua: stdin:4: Input/output error
stack traceback:
stdin:4: in main chunk
/usr/bin/raspi-config: 117: /usr/bin/raspi-config: cannot create /boot/config.txt.bak: Read-only file system
mv: cannot move `/boot/config.txt.bak' to `/boot/config.txt': Read-only file system
sed: couldn't open temporary file /boot/sedITC1Du: Read-only file system
sed: couldn't open temporary file /boot/sedJ2yIat: Read-only file system
[email protected] ~ $

serverguy

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 am

I have run update and upgrade and rpi-update so everything should be up to date. Still cannot enable the camera. Here's the output from option 5 in raspi-config when trying to enable it. I get the error on the raspi-config screen that it cannot enable then this when I return to the terminal. What's wrong here? (Not sure what the "[C]:?" That's not in my original post. Just blank lines there.)
---------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected] ~ $ sudo raspi-config
lua: stdin:6: Input/output error
stack traceback:
stdin:6: in main chunk
lua: stdin:4: Input/output error
stack traceback:
stdin:4: in main chunk
/usr/bin/raspi-config: 117: /usr/bin/raspi-config: cannot create /boot/config.txt.bak: Read-only file system
sed: couldn't open temporary file /boot/sedITC1Du: Read-only file system
sed: couldn't open temporary file /boot/sedJ2yIat: Read-only file system
[email protected] ~ $

serverguy

Re: error enabling the camera (Update)

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:40 am

The camera runs just fine for stills and vids on an SD card with only Raspbian installed so the camera and Pi hardware are OK. I have another SD that I would prefer to use with Raspbian and RaspBMC installed on it in dual boot. Both environments boot and run OK but the camera will not enable with the above error statements on the dual boot SD.

Mike

antoshka

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm pretty sure it's berryboot causing people's problems. I have the same setup with berryboot and am getting the same error.

BerryBoot appears to take over the config.txt and install itself on it's own partition, then install other OSes on partitions underneath. It also controls the config.txt, so you don't see if in the individual OS.

If we could find the directive for the config.txt which controls this camera setting we could add it manually to the berryboot version of this file. Any ideas?

Return to “Camera board”