rleyden

Camera stopped working after 1 day

Sat May 18, 2013 6:09 am

I was taking a series of still for a time lapse video when the camera stopped working.
Now, I just get an error message "* failed to open vchiq instance" whenever I run raspistill.

Searching the forums, I noticed someone else said they got this message when their cable became loose. I had just gently adjusted the direction camera was pointing before noticing that it had stopped taking images so I thought that may be it . But reseating the cable, several times, had no effect.
I double checked that the memory split has 128mb for graphics and other troubleshooting tips I could find.
It doesn't seem likely that a software issue would pop up suddenly without changing anything.
Is there any sure way to tell if the camera is really dead?

fbutler

Re: Camera stopped working after 1 day

Sat May 18, 2013 6:25 am

rleyden wrote:I was taking a series of still for a time lapse video when the camera stopped working.
Now, I just get an error message "* failed to open vchiq instance" whenever I run raspistill.

Have you tried a Google search on that error message?

rew

Sat May 18, 2013 7:12 am

Have you tried increasing GPU memory?

My camera too stopped working (but only after 15 minutes of experimenting), which turned out to be lack of GPU memory. (I increased gpu_mem from 60 to 128 iirc).
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

mikerr

Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 am

May be permissions, have you created a new user at all ?

try

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /dev/vchiq
or sudo raspistill
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

rleyden

Sat May 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Google search-Yes. Found the other suggestions made.
GPU memory- It was and remains 128 mb
Permissions- running as root, tried "chmod a+rw /dev/vchiq"

So far, no success.

I'm reluctant to throw out speculations but I wonder if I somehow caused ESD even though it was plugged in and running. I had used clear tape at the edges of the camera board to mount it to a plastic box I used to hold the Rpi. I also had a paper sun shield, fixed with tape to the box. I had peeled the tape back holding the sun shield just before the camera stopped worked. This tape shouldn't have even directly touched the camera board but was close. I've heard peeling tape can generated a high electric charge.
I was hoping there was some way using simple tools like a VOM to tell if the camera is connected and powered. However, I'd guess such a simple test wouldn't provide an unambiguous answer about what's wrong.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do is order another camera board and try it on the same set up.

rleyden

Now Fixed (?) Camera stopped working after 1 day

Sun May 26, 2013 2:59 am

After running apt-get update & upgrade, my camera works after rebooting (still didn't work after upgrade before rebooting).

I'm grateful that the camera is working again but surprised and a little dismayed that I didn't see any hints in this Forum (which I was following closely) that an upgrade would fix it. As noted above the problem came suddenly without any intentional configuration changes.

I would have bought another camera by now except they are back ordered. I'm not complaining just surprised.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Now Fixed (?) Camera stopped working after 1 day

Sun May 26, 2013 9:47 am

rleyden wrote:After running apt-get update & upgrade, my camera works after rebooting (still didn't work after upgrade before rebooting).

I'm grateful that the camera is working again but surprised and a little dismayed that I didn't see any hints in this Forum (which I was following closely) that an upgrade would fix it. As noted above the problem came suddenly without any intentional configuration changes.

I would have bought another camera by now except they are back ordered. I'm not complaining just surprised.
Reasons no-one mentioned it is that that is quite unexpected! It was working then stopped wouldn't normally be expected to require an upgrade to fix it, so I'm still not sure that the problem could have been.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rleyden

failed to open vchiq instance

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:19 pm

The problem "failed to open vchiq instance" has returned after I moved the RPi (unplugged while running).

I'm convinced this time that one or more files has become corrupted. But, which ones?
I checked the permissions for /dev/vchig and it remains unchanged.

I notice on the discussion page for the videocore API's (http://elinux.org/RPi_VideoCore_APIs) that it shows an instance where the error meaage is genereated;

// initialise vcos/vchi
   vcos_init();
   if (vchi_initialise(&vchi_instance) != VCHIQ_SUCCESS) {
       fprintf(stderr, "failed to open vchiq instance\n");
       exit(-2);
One the same page they point to a few sample programs, which give me the same error.

[email protected]:/opt/vc/src/hello_pi#  hello_video/hello_video.bin test.h264
* failed to open vchiq instance
So, I conclude my error is not specific to the camera. It seems now that "apt-get update & upgrade" fixed the problem before by replacing the corrupt file. Any ideas which file that may be?

rleyden

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:59 am

The problem was definitely due to a corruption on the SD card of one or more files. The camera worked fine with another SD card.
I wanted to repair the SD card because I hadn't backed it up for a while. But, It took quite a bit of trial and error.

The info in the previous post about video core API didn't provide me with any useful hints about which package was corrupted.
I then went to dpkg.log and found the list of packages that I updated the last time the problem was fixed and one by one reinstalled them, testing raspistill after each package reinstall.
The one that did the trick is shown below;,

apt-get --reinstall install raspberrypi-bootloader
I rebooted since "bootloader" implied it was necessary.The camera worked again after reboot. I suppose it could have been fixed by an earlier package reinstall if I had rebooted but I don't think so. In any case, I believe I have it narrowed down to 3 or 4 packages if it wasn't in fact "raspberrypi-bootloader".

rleyden

Compatibility with 1-wire sensors

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 pm

As a footnote I should add that I have a 1-wire temperature sensor connected to my RPi. The sensor usually works great but sometimes if there's a problem I run Frank Buss's update script:

# ./raspbian-w1-update 
Perhaps this script is out of date but I find it is the magic incantation needed to get my 1-wire python scripts working again.
I noticed today that running this script causes the camera to stop working with the vchiq error. Reinstalling raspberrypi-bootloader fixes the camera but breaks my python scripts. On my other SD card both the 1-wire sensor and camera work at the same time so perhaps there's more going on.

cavu

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:50 pm

I have had the same problem:
after working for a while, the camera would just freeze and the light would stay on.
I have a feeling it burned something out on the board. (I noticed the smallest puff of smoke)
everything else on the RPi other than the camera, seems to be working fine.
To get the camera to work, I've tried:
-different SD cards with updated/upgraded operating system
-enabling and disabling camera
-reinstalling the camera multiple times
-checking the memory allocated to the GPU
then I hooked the camera up to an A model with the same SD card and it worked.
so it appears that the camera is fine but it does appear it blew out the RPi B
thoughts

jafo117

Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

Thank you so much rleyden!
"apt-get --reinstall install raspberrypi-bootloader" worked a charm!

Return to “Camera board”