sdse78

Uninstalling a WIFI adapter

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:06 am

Hello to all the Pi peeps here!

I have a very good question to ask.

How does one uninstall a WIFI adapter on a USB port on the Pi? The problem that I have is that I'm trying to help my cousin who lives in another state. He's just learning about computers and Linux. His Pi fired up great! However, somehow in the process of using Wifi-Config to configure his Pi for wireless internet access the Pi is no longer recognizing his WIFI adapter. It's pretty difficult to troubleshoot his problem over the phone, especially when he's a newb. How can we start over the process of reinstalling the WIFI adapter? Why would his Pi no longer recognize it's plugged into the USB port? :?

drgeoff

Re: Uninstalling a WIFI adapter

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:08 am

What do the commands

Code: Select all

lsusb
and

lsmod
return?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

obcd

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:32 am

The /etc/network/interfaces is the place where network related information is stored. If you see some wlanx entrys, you might delete those to start over fresh.
First thing to check for a wifi adapter is indeed lsusb. It shows all recognised connected usb devices.
You could both setup an irc chat client on your pc's to discuss such issues. No need anymore to make long distance phone calls.

sdse78

Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 am

drgeoff wrote:What do the commands

lsusb
and

lsmod
return?
I will have that information very soon. I've not been able to connect with him for a few days. It will be screenshots from him, so hopefully you can read it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by sdse78 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

sdse78

Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 am

drgeoff wrote:What do the commands

lsusb
and

lsmod
return?
Here is a screenshot for lsusb:

Here is a screenshot for lsmod:

Do you see any problems?

sdse78

Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 am

***Update***

We seemed to have worked through the problem and the Pi once again sees the WIFI dongle. Now the problem is that when the Pi is rebooted it does not initialize the WIFI dongle to connect to the network automatically as configured.

The only way to get it started and connect is to perform these commands each time in a terminal window:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

then:

sudo ifdown wlan0

then:

sudo ifup wlan0

Once these commands are executed in that order the WIFI dongle lights up and in less two mins it connects to the configured network.

How can we fix this problem? It's very inconvenient for my cousin to have to execute those commands each time he wants to connect to his WIFI network to browse the Internet.

:?

Return to “Troubleshooting”