gkreidl

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm

jpezz wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm
Recommended enhancements to kweb:

Simple ability in kiosk mode to show forward/back arrows on pages.

Simple ability in kiosk mode to timeout pages when inactivity reaches preset time so browser automatically returns to home page.
This has to be done inside the web page using JavaScript.
jpezz wrote:
By-user configuration pages in local directory so features can be enabled/disable for a single user and not for all users. Customized commands, autoconfig, etc. use local file if present, else use /usr/local/share/kweb files.
No. This would be a high security risk.
jpezz wrote:
Ability to enable no-terminal script execution with option in iframe line without changing autoconfig file.
This makes no sense. kweb checks, if a program is a GUI program and executes it without starting a terminal. Other programs are run inside a terminal, except if they are disabled in kweb_settings. This is exactly as it should be.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

johndavies

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:21 pm

I have followed gkreidl's excellent advice to me on changing the omxplayergui player from omxplayergui to VLC to play live TV streams from tvheadend using the Pi TVHat on the omxplayergui Web menu. This has resulted in much quicker loading and much smoother playing of streams than when using omxplayergui. There is the added bonus of being able to see a playlist.
I have put the streams in a text file saved as FavouriteTV.m3u inside a folder called TVLive so the Web Menu of omxplayergui can list my media collection. The following format is used:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Sky News
http stream
#EXTINF:-1,Talking Pictures
http stream
#EXTINF:-1,Yesterday
http stream

Next I was advised to run ytdl_server.py which is inside the kwebfix folder, enter http://localhost:9192 into a browser, change the player from omxplayergui to VLC when a slightly modified omxplayergui Web menu appears and click on the directory which contains the TV streams. I tried to speed up the process by writing a simple bash program:
#/bin/bash
cd /home/pi/kwebfix
./ytdl_server.py
#failed attemts to launch chromium http://localhost:9192

I could not use the program to load http://localhost:9192. I had to load this part manually. Is there any way in which I can load it automatically?

jpezz

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 am

gkreidl wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm
jpezz wrote:
Recommended enhancements to kweb:

Simple ability in kiosk mode to show forward/back arrows on pages.

Simple ability in kiosk mode to timeout pages when inactivity reaches preset time so browser automatically returns to home page.
This has to be done inside the web page using JavaScript.

No kidding but not what I asked for.
jpezz wrote:
By-user configuration pages in local directory so features can be enabled/disable for a single user and not for all users. Customized commands, autoconfig, etc. use local file if present, else use /usr/local/share/kweb files.
No. This would be a high security risk.

Not in my application. That's why I asked for it.
jpezz wrote:
Ability to enable no-terminal script execution with option in iframe line without changing autoconfig file.
This makes no sense. kweb checks, if a program is a GUI program and executes it without starting a terminal. Other programs are run inside a terminal, except if they are disabled in kweb_settings. This is exactly as it should be.
No. Exactly how it was designed. Not what I asked for.

It's unfortunate that for my need, Firefox ESR with mkiosk add-on and it's disadvantages is still a much better kiosk for one of my applications and I will have to leave the app on FF. Kweb has some features I need for the other application but also has a lot of weaknesses that make it a real pain to use.

But I do appreciate having it in spite of the issues.

Diophantus

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 pm

gkreidl, is it possible to have 2 RPi3s running where one is acting as a "server" and one is acting as a "player"?

For instance, I have local videos that can be loaded in a playlist from the "server's" omxplayerGUI, or using network access from a browser on the same network using a different Windows PC. The other Pi is running omxplayer in fullscreen with no GUI, just a video player. Which could be started via GPIO trigger to play a file? No other commands would be used other than play.

The main idea is to have a RPi3 act as just a video player with GPI triggering play. But have the capability to load a selection of videos in a playlist from a webpage.

Thanks!

gkreidl

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 am

Diophantus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 pm
gkreidl, is it possible to have 2 RPi3s running where one is acting as a "server" and one is acting as a "player"?

For instance, I have local videos that can be loaded in a playlist from the "server's" omxplayerGUI, or using network access from a browser on the same network using a different Windows PC. The other Pi is running omxplayer in fullscreen with no GUI, just a video player. Which could be started via GPIO trigger to play a file? No other commands would be used other than play.

The main idea is to have a RPi3 act as just a video player with GPI triggering play. But have the capability to load a selection of videos in a playlist from a webpage.

Thanks!
omxplayerGUI can handle playlists, but it does not serve them. You can use it to create and save m3u playlists.
On the "player RPi" you can use omxplayerGUI, but it needs at least a minimal XORG environment. It can be set to run full screen without any GUI elements.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

sinother_one

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 pm

also i have this problem

---quote---

How can I make Kweb browser system default browser for http links?
I did select it to open html files, but links from pdf files open Vivaldi, and Kweb is not an option in - - config x-www-browser in my OS

gkreidl

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 am

sinother_one wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 pm
also i have this problem

---quote---

How can I make Kweb browser system default browser for http links?
I did select it to open html files, but links from pdf files open Vivaldi, and Kweb is not an option in - - config x-www-browser in my OS
Different programs use different way of opening URLs. Some may use x-www-browser, but not all. You may be able to add kweb to to x-www-browser alternatives group using update-alternatives, giving it the highest priority.

gkreidl

Partial upgrade available

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:43 am

A while ago I created a special version of omxplayerGUI for my rpiotrtool project (German version only, viewtopic.php?p=1437289).

Besides the additions I needed for this project (special key commands for better navigation and to create cut lists), the new version 1.7.9.9-otr contains some improvements, especially for web video support.

I don't want to create a full kweb upgrade right now and decided to create a separate upgrade package, which provides the new omxplayerGUI version and also new versions of some other tools:
ytdl_server.py with full support of VLC
kwebhelper.py and kwebhelper_set.py to add support for qpdfview which is now the default Raspbian PDF viewer.

To install the new update open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb_upgrade_stretch_20190408.tar.gz
tar -xzf kweb_upgrade_stretch_20190408.tar.gz
cd kweb_upgrade_stretch_20190408
./install
A few notes:

omxplayerGUI

I won't provide a full list of new (ALT+) keyboard commands here (some are very special), but you might find ALT + right or left arrow key usefull for short jumps forward or backward (to next of previous key frame).

m3u8 links (which are mostly used for video which comes in chunks) are not handled as playlists any more but sent directly to omxplayer which handles them quite well. In some cases web video stopped after a short while. This should fix it.

The alternate method to get information about a video file or stream (get_DAR on the settings page) now uses ffprobe if it is installed as part of the ffmpeg binaries. This should fix a few (rare) blockings when using this method.

ytdl-server

This small web application server has mainly been developped to support fast acess to web video to play it in omxplayerGUI or (now) VLC instead of inside the browser. This works with any browser, not just kweb (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=193811).

If you want to use it with VLC, you have to start the server separately. This is best done with the following command:

bgstart_ytdl_server.sh -a=vlc
You can add it as autostart in different ways.

You can also use this server (http:localhost:9192) to provide a web interface for your local media collection. This also works with any browser. Check the manual for more details.

PDF support

kweb supports PDFs in two different ways. By default it downloads the PDF file and opens it with a PDF application of your choice: mupdf, xpdf, evince and (now) qpdfview. It supports links like ....pdf#page=xxx and will open the PDF document at page xxx.

It is also possible to display PDFs inside the browser if you install mozplugger and enable Plugins in kweb. By default mozplugger supports xpdf and evince. To add support for qpdfview, you have to edit /etc/mozpluggerrc as root. Scroll down to the PDF section and modify it in the following way:

application/pdf:pdf:PDF file
application/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
text/pdf:pdf:PDF file
text/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
	ACROREAD()
	repeat noisy swallow(Xpdf) fill needs_xembed: xpdf -g +9000+9000 "$file"
	repeat noisy swallow(okular) fill needs_xembed: okular "$file"
        repeat noisy swallow(epdfview) fill needs_xembed: epdfview "$file"
	repeat noisy swallow(qpdfview) fill needs_xembed: qpdfview "$file"
	GV()
	repeat noisy swallow(evince) fill: evince "$file"
#page=xxx links are not supported by mozplugger. The PDF document will always be opend showing the first page.

Return to “Raspbian”