ludespeedny

Can this be done?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:12 pm

I was wanting to take some of my available equipment and make a ipcam of sorts. I see a lot of people using motion detection, but what I want to do is just make my webcam video and sound available if I hit the ip.

The webcam I want to use is a VX-3000.
Would this be possible?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Can this be done?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm

ludespeedny wrote:I was wanting to take some of my available equipment and make a ipcam of sorts. I see a lot of people using motion detection, but what I want to do is just make my webcam video and sound available if I hit the ip.

The webcam I want to use is a VX-3000.
Would this be possible?
According to the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Webcams) there do seem to be some issues with that device. There are others listed there which may be more suitable. It is my understanding, however, that the Pi's "webcam capabilities" are going to be limited by the "heavy demands" on its USB hub by the ethernet port (on model B's) for some time to come, much more (voluntary) effort being placed on the dedicated, higher res./quality camera module.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

ludespeedny

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm

so the problem is more a bandwidth issue on the usb ports on the pi then?

pluggy

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Bandwidth and the buggy USB implementation. Theres a dedicated camera module coming in the next few weeks, not a USB device and shows promise as it taps into the fairly impressive GPU of the Pi.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Beginners”