mappler

Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:23 pm

My daughter was happy to receive her camera last night. We went through installation instructions and ended up with this error. I believe 1 other recipient of the camera had the same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Matt and Amy

/opt/vc/bin/raspicam -o firstpic.jpg

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Issue with getting camera to work

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:36 pm

That is probably a bad connection from the camera to the board - have you got the ribbon cable the right way round?

Failing that, what memory split are you using, and are you using a 256 or 512 device?

And, have you updated to the latest distro and bootcode (rpi-update)?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

mappler

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm

We do have the ribbon cable in correctly. We used a multimeter to check the ribbon cable connection to the camera.

We are using a rev B Pi. We tried it with two different Pi's.
We're using Wheezy and updated with all instructions that came to my daughter in an e-mail. We did update the firmware on both Pi's that we tried.

We haven't done anything with the memory split, so we are using whatever the default is.

mappler

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Is the red light supposed to be on all the time or only when the camera is in use? I'm not sure if it is relevant, but when we place our fingers over the ribbon cable at certain points, the red light comes on. Capacitance of our fingers? For a while we thought it was when we MOVED the cable, and were assuming a bad connection or bad cable, but then we figured out it was just touching the cable, not moving it.

aframe

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Just to let you know guys - I'm having the exact same issue, finger capacitance and all!

I too thought that it was just a bad connection but I've had it in two different pi's and on different distro's and still get the same red light problem and error that you have.

Gordon has sent me a few suggestions which I'm very grateful for, but as yet, no luck for me.

I'll keep my progress updated in the winners thread.

bspratt

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 am

Same story here. Has anyone gotten it to work yet?

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 am

Hmm. Sounds odd. I've not had that problem at all on any of the protos I have.

First - don't worry, if the camera is bust, it will be replaced. But lets try and find out what's going on first.

The red light should go on when the camera is powered up, so when you run RaspiCam it should go on, when you close RaspiCam it should go off.

The 'capacitance thing' is weird. Someone who know about these things (Gert?) will need to have some input there. I'll ask him to take a look.

recantha2

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 am

It was okay on the proto camera I've got... Perhaps there's a manufacturing fault in the ribbon cable for the newer ones?
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am

I'm probably teaching grandma to suck eggs, but can I confirm from those having problems that the cable is well seat at both ends, the right way round, and the plastic tag is firmly engaged to clamp the cable in?

I don;t know what instructions you will have received, but here is a quick precis..

Pull up the black (on mine) tag on the top of the connector on the Pi itself. Slide in ribbon as far as it will go with the blue side facing the ethernet connector. Now firmly push down the black plastic tag. Ensure the cable doesn't move whilst doing this. Same process applies to the camera board itself, with blue side facing the black tag. Ensure cable is firmly gripped at both ends, is correctly insert at 90deg, and the right way round.

It also possible reseat the camera module itself if the above doesn't help. You can, very gently, with a fingernail, lever up the connector on the end of the short ribbon from the module, and remove the module completely. Blow on it to remove any fluff/debris, then gently reseat it again,making sure it's lined up correctly, and very gently press - you should feel it click in to place.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:52 am

recantha2 wrote:It was okay on the proto camera I've got... Perhaps there's a manufacturing fault in the ribbon cable for the newer ones?
These were from the same proto batch as yours. We're watching with bated breath - I suspect a loosely attached connector (at least I *hope* that's what it is).
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mappler

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 pm

We've reseated both connectors (camera side and Pi side). I believe we have them seated properly. If we connect only one side, we can detect continuity at the opposite end of the ribbon cable on each pin. So, I think the ribbon cable is good. I see no physical faults with the ribbon cable. I'll try and upload some pictures later today.

I have more SD cards and multiple Pi's. For those that are successful, what SD card image are you using?

-Matt

recantha2

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Well, Liz, that knocks that little theory on the head! Nuts!

I'm using the latest Raspbian image and it works fine for me. On the one occasion when my servo pan/tilt servos got a bit... aggressive... the cable came out a little from the Pi and the light did, indeed, stay on.

By the way... if you don't want the red light (and for photos through a window, you certainly don't...) blu-tack is your friend :-) A little blob over the led fixes that ;-)
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm

mappler wrote:We've reseated both connectors (camera side and Pi side). I believe we have them seated properly. If we connect only one side, we can detect continuity at the opposite end of the ribbon cable on each pin. So, I think the ribbon cable is good. I see no physical faults with the ribbon cable. I'll try and upload some pictures later today.

I have more SD cards and multiple Pi's. For those that are successful, what SD card image are you using?

-Matt
Have you reseated the sensor itself?

You will need to use the very latest Raspbian, previous version don't have the camera drive in the binary blob AFAIK.

aframe

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm gonna sound massif daft here, but... The cable isn't the wrong way round is it? I'm not in front of my Pi to check until later tonight but I'm gonna try swapping the ends round. Unless I'm suddenly shouted at??

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm

The cable doesn't have specific ends, but it does have orientation requirements, so double check those.

aTao

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:45 pm

jamesh wrote:
Pull up the black (on mine) tag on the top of the connector on the Pi itself. Slide in ribbon as far as it will go with the blue side facing the ethernet connector. Now firmly push down the black plastic tag. Ensure the cable doesn't move whilst doing this.
Should be common sense, but you know how that can go amiss. That didnt actually include any instructions to remove the protective strip on the socket that RPis are shipped with.
>)))'><'(((<

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 pm

aTao wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Pull up the black (on mine) tag on the top of the connector on the Pi itself. Slide in ribbon as far as it will go with the blue side facing the ethernet connector. Now firmly push down the black plastic tag. Ensure the cable doesn't move whilst doing this.
Should be common sense, but you know how that can go amiss. That didnt actually include any instructions to remove the protective strip on the socket that RPis are shipped with.
Fair point - completely forgot about those since I removed them from my Raspi some months ago!

liz

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:47 pm

And have you done a firmware update?

jbeale

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Being a bystander maybe I shouldn't jump in here, but... as the CSI module is new, I presume the S2 and S5 flex connectors on the R-Pi board are not tested at the factory (with nothing available until now to plug into it). Could there be a cold or missing solder joint on one of those 15 pins on the S5 connector? A defect might be visible, or not- sometimes a cold-solder or hairline crack issue can be hard to see even in an inspection microscope. If that is the case, applying downwards pressure to the connector might temporarily re-make the electrical connection as long as the pressure is applied.

If that red light coming on is intended to indicate data bus activity, it is possible that 50/60Hz power line pickup capacitively coupled from a finger to a data line could trigger it. If that is the case, it suggests an open circuit between the R-Pi pin which is supposed to drive the line, and the flex cable going to the camera board. [EDIT:] Or an interface pin intended to be an output, is still configured as an input, maybe fixed by a firmware update.

All this is, of course a guess, and a long-distance one at that.
Last edited by jbeale on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

liz

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

My current guess is firmware updates (in that all the cameras we've had from the same batch have been fine - it'd be utterly bizarre if the only non-working ones were the ones we picked at random to send out).

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

jbeale wrote:Being a bystander maybe I shouldn't jump in here, but... as the CSI module is new, I presume the S2 and S5 flex connectors on the R-Pi board are not tested at the factory (with nothing available until now to plug into it). Could there be a cold or missing solder joint on one of those 15 pins on the S5 connector? A defect might be visible, or not- sometimes a cold-solder or hairline crack issue can be hard to see even in an inspection microscope. If that is the case, applying downwards pressure to the connector might temporarily re-make the electrical connection as long as the pressure is applied.

If that red light coming on is intended to indicate data bus activity, it is possible that 50/60Hz power line pickup capacitively coupled from a finger to a data line could trigger it. If that is the case, it suggests an open circuit between the R-Pi pin which is supposed to drive the line, and the flex cable going to the camera board. Or an interface pin intended to be an output, is still configured as an input.

All this is, of course a guess, and a long-distance one at that.
The red light is power to the module, I believe, not bus activity. But the finger stuff is weird nevertheless.

jbeale

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 pm

My reading of recantha2's comment http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=38 suggested that the red light does not normally stay on when the camera is connected but not actively recording?

If the red light is just a power indicator (simply wired via a resistor from +Vcc to GND) then the "red light with finger pressure" symptom indicates to me a cracked flex cable, in which finger pressure is temporarily connecting the two ends of the cracked conductor and making the connection. Or possibly, if the force is being transmitted to the R-Pi sitting on a surface, some dirt / flaky connection on the connector side, which becomes a temporary pressure switch.
Last edited by jbeale on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

jbeale wrote:If the red light is simply power (simply wired via a resistor from +Vcc to GND) then the "red light with finger pressure" symptom indicates to me a cracked flex cable, in which finger pressure is temporarily connecting the two ends of the cracked conductor and making the connection.
No, it's wired up to a GPIO, so the light will only be on when the camera driver has powered up the camera. The camera takes a lot of power - you don't want it on all the time.

So the light will only be on whilst the demo app is running.

jbeale

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm

So if the red light indicates (GPIO-switched) "active" status for the camera, and you can control it with finger pressure on the cable, I don't know what that could mean other than an intermittent connection. A break in a flex cable can be confirmed by a multimeter continuity test while the cable is flexed to put the conductors into tension. Sometimes you can see a visible crack while holding the cable up to the light, and bending it.

But it is odd if several people have the exact same problem, at work here we use (I think) similar flex cables, and there is rarely a problem- unless you fold them sharply through 180 degrees or similar abuse.

EDIT: above is assuming current from GPIO pin is driving the LED directly. But if it's instead driving an input to a FET, logic gate etc. which is in turn driving the LED, that could also be a simple open circuit that is picking up AC hum via capacitance on the finger touch- again opening possibility of a software config issue (LED status drive pin should be output, but left as input / high impedance).

aframe

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Just to add that the red light/finger capacitance funny business, in my case at least, isn't just on applying pressure. Read on...

I've rebuilt my Pi as a new user this eve (went on the site, downloaded latest image, followed instructions to the letter) and, unfortunately no luck. It's giving the same error. However, the red light is now turning on due to capacitance when I move my hand within 5/6cm. My aura is literally powering the camera! That or I've earned some sort of CSI related super power. Definitely no other explanation for it :)

So there it is. I'm in the same position on my updated and upgraded Rev 1 and Rev 2 Model B (R2 with a 256mb gpu split).

Humph...

Return to “Camera board”