Brod

Re: Python- any hints?

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:57 am

Being under 18 it is great to see that old school PC language is coming back in. Us younger generations have never been able to 'make' our own programs or experience this type of hobby and I've read in Steve Job's biography that he worked at ATARI and Wozniak at Hewlett Packard (HP) and I had to google search what ATARI was, using an engine that was built on ATARI BASIC, which is ironic. A lot of younger hackers (13-18) know about Python but when we 'hack' something, we have to torrent the software because we don't know how to make it. I would really like to get familiar with Python, are there any helpful hints that would help a beginner? Thanks all

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 am

Have a look here. If you work your way through those exercises, you will be well on your way to learning Python.

Start at the bottom with "The Command Line and Why Microsoft is Different" and then "More Command-Line Goodness", which will give you enough background to use Python off the command-line in "Beginning Python".

The tutorial might get a bit complicated (I don't expect you know what a complex number is for example), but if you can deal with it, that tutorial is quite good and shows you the basics of the language.

----------------------

Another resource that starts a little more slowly, is Python For Informatics by Charles Severance.

----------------------

Or there are the Python tutorial videos by Liam.

Bakul Shah

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Another suggestion: If you have the time, enroll in cs101 - building a search engine @ udacity.com. Do the quizzes and homework, and listen to the solutions if you can"t figure something out. Its interactiveness and feedback and the website keeping track of what you have worked through can be very useful.

Brod

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 pm

rurwin said:

Have a look here. If you work your way through those exercises, you will be well on your way to learning Python.

Start at the bottom with "The Command Line and Why Microsoft is Different" and then "More Command-Line Goodness", which will give you enough background to use Python off the command-line in "Beginning Python".

The tutorial might get a bit complicated (I don't expect you know what a complex number is for example), but if you can deal with it, that tutorial is quite good and shows you the basics of the language.

----------------------

Another resource that starts a little more slowly, is Python For Informatics by Charles Severance.

----------------------

Or there are the Python tutorial videos by Liam.

Thank you very much, this is a massive help, cheers

Return to “Python”