Kuruchy

VNC and Minecraft Pi

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 am

Hi!

I'm new with the Raspberry, yesterday I installed the thightVNC so I can connect from my PC and my Ipad to the RP. Also I installed the Minecraft Pi, everything went right, until I tried to play the game through VNC. The Minecraft window kept its black colour and never changed.

Anyone knows why this is happening, if is it normal, and if not how to repair it?

Thanks!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: VNC and Minecraft Pi

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 am

I've not used it, but from the behavior that others are reporting, I think Minecraft Pi uses graphics acceleration without going through the X windows system. It overlays the window with the graphics by going direct to the GPU. That wont be readable by VNC, which will just ask X for the contents of the window.

Kuruchy

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 am

rurwin wrote:I've not used it, but from the behavior that others are reporting, I think Minecraft Pi uses graphics acceleration without going through the X windows system. It overlays the window with the graphics by going direct to the GPU. That wont be readable by VNC, which will just ask X for the contents of the window.
Thanks for answering so quickly rurwin,

That makes sense. I wasn’t sure how the VNC was passing the data, but knowing that is the X the one in charge of giving the data, I guess it's impossible to play the game through VNC.

obcd

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Hardly any game is playable over a vnc link. It adds an extra layer of slowness to the game experience. It's good for testing.

efflandt

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Because minecraft-pi writes directly to gpu memory (or other acceleration?), it does not work over ssh with ForwardX11 either. I just ends up with a window with black contents.

Return to “Gaming”