henryperu77

Low BogoMIPS

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 am

Hi
I got a raspberry pi few days ago and installed thelast openelec , and when i do the cat /proc/cpuinfo
i get just 464.48 on BogoMIPS

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 464.48
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 000f

I dunnno if its a faulty raspberry pi? i read around that maybe the last version of openelec doesnt show properly the bogomips but i dunno... any help appreciated

M_P

Re: Low BogoMIPS

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with your RPi - I've got two that are running just peachy (one of which has an uptime for over a week now) that show the same number yours does. It's been my experience that the BogoMIPS number isn't worth a heck of a lot.

So yep, I think you're fine.

Cheetah

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:31 am

That's why it's called "BogoMips" ... because it's pretty bogus. It will give you a reasonable idea of what kind of speed up you're getting with an overclock on the same CPU, but it's useless when trying to compare one CPU against a different one, and it certainly isn't meant to measure the CPU's MHz.

henryperu77

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:07 pm

but if i do an overclock still gives me 464 -_-

stupid_boy

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:26 pm

BogoMIPS are calculated only once, during system startup. they are used for internal calibration only. they are not directly related to anything else. also, they are not recalculated when you 'overclock', but non overclocked values are shown.

you can see current ARM clock with one of following:
vcgencmd measure_clock arm
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

be prepared, ARM core freq is not exactly the same as x86 core clock. they mean relatively similar things, but real changes in system productivity are different..

speaking for BogoMIPS, i love this quote from one of their pioneers:
The reasons (there are two) it is printed during boot-up is that a) it is slightly useful for debugging and for checking that the computers caches and turbo button work, and b) Linus loves to chuckle when he sees confused people on the news.
( 1993, Lars Wirzenius )

Return to “Troubleshooting”