BBUK

AdvMAME earlier versions for better performance ...

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi all.

Thanks to everyone for their work on the emulators. I have been building on that this weekend (so that I can get a full speed/full sound version of Star Wars up and running - I tried a couple of the existing solutions but all seemed a bit choppy).

A natural place to look for increased performance would be the earlier versions of AdvMAME. I am pleased to report success in building and running versions from 0.72 to 0.102. The earlier versions needed more patches than the later ones AND the versions before 0.94 exhibited some audio 'squealing' that I was not able to track down before settling down for Top Gear.

Anyway... here is a little script that takes a fresh install of the latest Wheezy, does some updates, downloads AdvMAME 0.94, patches the source (and the Makefile), compiles it and updates advmame.rc.

All you should need to do is:
(a) dump the Wheezy image onto an SD card;
(b) put the below script into the FAT partition of the card (where config.txt is) - call it mamebox.sh
(c) boot the Pi, do the first run for raspi-config so that the root filing system is expanded, your Pi is overclocked as you wish and that the memory split is set to 16 meg. You could also change overscan settings or whatever you want.
(d) Reboot and log into your Pi (by ssh or whatever)
(e) /boot/mamebox.sh
(f) wait about 5 hours.

The script sets up a samba share into the .advance folder so you can upload your roms from your PC/laptop after the script has finished.

The script has not been properly checked (I added a few bits to make it a bit more user friendly without running it) but seemed to patch the files that needed to be patched and run make OK. Works on a 512 meg Pi and seems to be working ok on a 256 meg Pi.

Star Wars runs 100% - Woo Hoo! Some more complex games are on the cusp of being 100% to the extent that chopping a few unimportant background processes, some configuration options or a serious overclock could get them going. I'll leave that for others to work on.

Let me know if anyone needs the patches I applied to the versions earlier than 0.94 to make them build. Please don't nag me about my script writing skills - I have Star Wars so I don't care!

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
cd ~
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/advancemame/advancemame/0.94.0/advancemame-0.94.0.tar.gz
if [ ! -f ~/advancemame-0.94.tar.gz ]
then
  echo "Failed to download file.  Are we online?  If we are, please try the script again."
  exit 1
fi
tar xzvf advancemame-0.94.0.tar.gz
sudo apt-get -y purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get -y autoremove
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install samba samba-common-bin libsdl1.2-dev gcc-4.7
cd advancemame-0.94.0
sed 's/MAP_SHARED | MAP_FIXED,/MAP_SHARED,/' <advance/linux/vfb.c >advance/linux/temp.c
mv advance/linux/temp.c advance/linux/vfb.c
sed 's/misc_quiet\", 0/misc_quiet\", 1/' <advance/osd/global.c >advance/osd/temp.c
mv advance/osd/temp.c advance/osd/global.c 
sed '
/#include <string>/ i\
#include <stdlib.h>
' <advance/d2/d2.cc >advance/d2/temp.cc
mv advance/d2/temp.cc advance/d2/temp.cc
export CC=gcc-4.7
export GCC=g++-4.7
./configure
sed 's/LDFLAGS=-s/LDFLAGS=-s -lm -Wl,--no-as-needed/' <Makefile >Makefile.temp
mv Makefile.temp Makefile
echo 'NOW HAVE A CUP OF TEA, THIS WILL TAKE SOME HOURS!!!'
make
sudo make install
cd ~
advmame
echo 'device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60' >> .advance/advmame.rc
chmod -R a+rwX .advance/
comp=`cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep '\[M\.A\.M\.E\]'`
if [ "$comp" == '[M.A.M.E]' ]; then
  echo 'Not updating smb.conf. Finished'
  exit 0
fi
sudo chmod 666 /etc/samba/smb.conf
tee -a /etc/samba/smb.conf <<HDHD
[M.A.M.E]
comment = M.A.M.E
path = /home/pi/.advance
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
read only = no
browseable = yes
force user = pi
public = yes
HDHD
sudo chmod 644 /etc/samba/smb.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
echo 'Now finished...'
Nearly forgot, for some reason "misc_quiet" was not working for me on this version, so I hard-coded the option. If you want the OK/warning screen up before you play a game modify this script so that the changes to global.c are not made.

Have fun.

welshy

Re: AdvMAME earlier versions for better performance ...

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

BBUK
Nice one! I will give it a try! I also found performance gains by using an older version of Raspbian (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian) and AdvMAME (Although using this Image if you have a 512MEG RPi it doesn’t address the extra RAM). Using this Image Capcom CPS (Ghouls and Ghosts, Final Fight, Street Fighter II etc) and many of the Atari games with the Pokey “Speech” Boards (Star Wars, Paperboy, Indiana Jones, Gauntlet etc) offered similar improvements, though NOT 100% (Star Wars is almost there but the speech is pretty dire! But CERTAINLY an improvement over 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian Image!). The one game I couldn’t get to an acceptable level of performance was Tempest. I was wondering, have you tried any of these in comparison?
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

welshy

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 pm

BBUK
I just tried compiling AdvMAME 0.94 with 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian Image (admittedly NOT with your script!). It compiles fine and Star Wars is indeed almost perfect under “X”. However, when I try to run in Console the following error occurs -

Error mapping video memory
Unable to start video emulation

Any ideas what is causing this and/or know a solution?

BBUK

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi welshy.

Yup, I know what that is. In advance/linux/vfb.c there is a line with an errant MAP_FIXED option in it.

Change

MAP_SHARED | MAP_FIXED,
to

MAP_SHARED,
The script picks this up. If you have already compiled, maybe try running make again (i.e. without a make clean), the Makefile *may* be clever enough to work out just to recompile vfb.c, relink and rebuild the executable.

Also, try these in advmame.rc

debug_rawsound yes
sync_resample emulation

Rgds

welshy

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm

BBUK
Thanks for your assistance! I will give them a try!

welshy

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm

BBUK
Changing the advance/linux/vfb.c and a remake did the trick! Looks like some games have certainly got a performance advantage over other revisions I have experimented with (Star Wars and Gauntlet are MUCH better for instance!*). I will endeavour to test other ROMS as to ascertain any performance gains and some others that I currently DONT USE due to performance issues!

*But, you know MAME, other ROMS performance might be inferior! Like I always say, Emulation, it’s ALWAYS A COMPROMISE!

Thanks Again!

SSilver2k2

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 pm

I will give this a try as well. Thanks for the hard work!
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

BBUK

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Just in case anyone tries the script - it won't work!

The line

if [ ! -f ~/advancemame-0.94.tar.gz ]
should be

if [ ! -f ~/advancemame-0.94.0.tar.gz ]
Rest assured that I have done 100 lines of "Test scripts before posting"

BBUK

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm

and the line

mv advance/d2/temp.cc advance/d2/temp.cc
should be

mv advance/d2/temp.cc advance/d2/d2.cc
Sorry...

welshy

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:17 pm

COMPARISON OF ADVMAME 0.106.0/ADVMAME 0.94

O/S Image Used - 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian
RPi Overclock - 900MHz
Self compiled (i.e. without BBUK’s automated script)

Previous AdvMAME ROM List - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=29427

After some exhaustive testing I can confirm the Following -

AdvMAME 0.106.0
Star Wars - Poor voice samples, often “Chugging” rendering performance depending on the amount of vectors being generated
The Empire Strikes Back - Poor voice samples, often “Chugging” rendering performance depending on the amount of vectors being generated (Inferior to Star Wars)
Tempest - Very Poor rendering performance (Perhaps 20-25% Optimum)
Phoenix - Poor Sound/Music, Poor rendering performance
Return of the Jedi - Poor voice samples, Poor Sound/Music, Poor rendering performance
Galaga - Previously not tested (Due to wrong ROM revision)

Working and playable but Poor Rendering Performance/Sound & Music/Voice Sample Issues - Paperboy, Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom, Golden Axe, Gauntlet, Marble Madness, Super Sprint, Strider and Street Fighter II

AdvMAME 0.94
Star Wars - Voice samples now excellent, Fullspeed* (Other than slight slow down on Death Star explosion (Not surprising given the amount of vectors being generated!) I recall this was an early issue in MAME until at least Pentium 3 CPU’s)
The Empire Strikes Back - Voice samples now excellent, Fullspeed*, No issues
Tempest - Fullspeed*, No issues
Phoenix - Fullspeed*, No issues
Return of the Jedi - Voice samples now excellent, Fullspeed*, No issues
Galaga - Fullspeed*, No issues

*By “Fullspeed” This DOES NOT denote “PERFECT” constant 60 FPS (Frame Skipping is turned ON), however, you will NEVER get that with MAME (Even with VERY POWERFULL Hardware), due to the nature of the Emulator, but signifies it is, for all intensive purposes, UNDETECTABLE!

Paperboy (Voice samples now excellent!), Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom (Voice samples now excellent!), Gauntlet (Voice samples now excellent!), Golden Axe, Marble Madness and Super Sprint are now very much playable. The FPS rendering is significantly improved (Though not optimum) and there are still some music/sound issues. Strider and Street Fighter II rendering is improved (Though again, not optimum) and there are still some music/sound issues. There is also a significant improvement in Neo-Geo MVS hardware based games, although, still inferior to GnGeo

There seems to be no adverse effect on other ROMs stated in the Previous List (i.e. inferior performance or other issues)

.RC CHANGES
Changing debug_rawsound to “yes” and sync_resample to “emulation” improves the emulation to almost perfect on “Attract Screens”. However, after a few seconds of play sound/music reverts to previous issues in sync and “Choppy” behaviour. Undecided as to whether this improves matters...

CONCLUSIONS
Until the arrival of an Open GLES Fork/Variant of AdvMAME emerges, THIS is definitely the revision to use. The biggest improvements are with Vector games and Atari hardware featuring “Pokey” Speech Board’s

welshy

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm

BBUK
I have posted a link (With some explanation as to the content) in the "Sticky" EMULATION ON THE RPi Thread

One Last Thing, Thanks again for sharing this! I tried 5 or 6 revisions of AdvMAME in an attempt to get Tempest running at an acceptable level to no avail, until now!

kalehrl

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Would somebody be kind enough to post the compiled binary?
Thank you.

mongrol

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 am

Welshy,
Have you looked at the DISPMANX backend at all for mame? I had a go at it but can't see to get it to scale with mame. This would seem a great boost if we could get it working.

kalehrl

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:56 pm

I cross-compiled this version of advmame and I'm not very happy with it.
Game launching time is much longer than with 106 version.
It does appear to be just a little faster but not enough for me to forget longer launching time.
Time pilot is running at 66% speed whereas 106 is at 50% (f11 button).
Other games - gng, 1942, bombjack, galaxian are already full speed with 106 so for me, there is no point in using it.
Here it is if anyone interested:
https://mega.co.nz/#!B8QUyQZA!Yus2EHCNP ... B3-VIWCkPA

welshy

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm

kalehrl
Agreed it does take 2-3 seconds more to launch a game (It’s an older version of AdvMAME so that’s to be expected) but personally I don’t see this as much of an issue unless you are building a custom CAB. With regards to “Speed” I have posted before if you are new to Emulation, try not to get obsessed with “Performance” (i.e. actual FPS), many of the original titles (And other consoles for that matter) DIDNT run at a constant 60 FPS (Against the CRT Refresh Rate 60 Hz), it’s just with modern Emulators there is in built diagnostics to see what is happening. E.g. With the Atari VCS it depends on the “Kernel” (Which writes the graphics to the screen) some are single, Combat 25/PAL 30/NTSC FPS, some are 2 Part, Pitfall 50/60 FPS! Or for further proof check SNES Super R-Type (Actual FPS vary wildly!) or StarFox/Wing (Which averages 25 FPS on a 60Hz Refresh), although some hackers have improved this to 35 FPS by overclocking the SuperFX chip in the Cart!. Rather, does it look/play like the original? I am cross checking performance against MAME 0.103 running on a Quad Core 3GHz CPU with a GeForce 9600 GT Grafix Card, 4GB of RAM and a dedicated Sound Card, visually/sonically there is little difference in perceived performance (Which in itself is quite amazing!). Even on this set up, Donkey Kong for instance, ISNT running at a constant 100%, but running side by side with AdvMAME on the RPi (Average 66%) it’s undetectable! Also, bear in mind lots of neat physiological “Cheats” were used to circumvent deficiencies (Especially in the early days of Consumer Hardware). For instance to overcome FPS rendering whilst programming Super Hang On (Amiga), Zareh Z. K. Johannes changed the “Pitch/Speed” of the sound when pressing the “Turbo” button, it isn’t actually any faster, but the Brain perceives that it is! (If you don’t believe this, play the game with the sound on, then sound off, it’s a great “Illusion”). Which version of Raspbian did you use and at what Clock Speed? I noted at the top which Version/Clock Speed 0.94 was being tested against, because again, performance differs (I have found 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian is better than 2012-12-16 in most cases). The other point I have not touched on before (Because of its complexity), but will now, what are you using as your “Monitor”? Modern LCD TV’s DONT WORK in the same way as a CRT! It depends on the “Frame Buffer” circuitry used to process the image before displaying, some manufactures TV’s are better/quicker than others and some have a “Game Mode” which can alleviate this issue (In some cases). Admittedly, I am using a pretty High End Monitor for testing so this issue is negated. I did note: “The biggest improvements are with Vector games and Atari hardware featuring “Pokey” Speech Board’s” (Tempest and Paperboy are case in point). In my opinion, this revision of AdvMAME generally gives the best results that i have compiled and tested (As I indicated, I myself have tried a quite a few variants/revisions of MAME). But like I always say Emulation is often a “Compromise”

NB Apologies if you are aware of all this information, but I am attempting to explain/ converse to the uninitiated and/or users new to Emulation!

One Last Thing, You say “I cross-compiled this version of AdvMAME”. What against? Which tool chain did you use? (I am interested because my next project is to try and get the Laserdisc EMU Daphne running on the RPi! (There is a Linux version but, as yet, no ARM fork that I have discovered) and am endeavouring to learn about cross-compiling). If you cross-compiled it on X86 (As to reduce the 5 HOUR compile) maybe this is the issue!? I have also tried to download your Binary for comparison against mine but get a “Decryption Error”

kalehrl

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for your in depth information.
Which version of Raspbian did you use and at what Clock Speed?
I'm using the latest Raspbian updated almost every day and with the latest firmware (rpi-update).
I use 900MHz overclocking preset because anything above it gives me card corruption.

what are you using as your “Monitor”?
Old-fashioned CRT PAL TV.
One Last Thing, You say “I cross-compiled this version of AdvMAME”. What against?
I complied it against the latest gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian toolchain git cloned from https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools.git
If you cross-compiled it on X86 (As to reduce the 5 HOUR compile) maybe this is the issue!?
I doubt it but who knows? I'm not an experienced cross-compiler :)
“Decryption Error”
I just downloaded it and it extracted fine, no errors.

welshy

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Kalehrl
Ok, downloaded your binary (It was an IE problem, download fine with Chrome!). It’s NOT the cross-compile (The performance is pretty much the same as my compile). However, I note you are using a nice “Retro” CRT (Bravo, all those lovely scan lines will be visible without emulation!), this leads me to the conclusion that for sound your using the Analogue output? If so, this is your problem. It’s notoriously computationally intensive and represents a serious overhead for the RPi hardware (Better overall if you can use an LCD/HDMI solution). The other thing, as noted, I find results are improved using an older Rasbpian image for AdvMAME. I tend not to update my Image much (As indicated I used 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian for Testing), they STILL produce no “Changes” documentation so without testing there is no way to know how it’s going to affect compiles under the old Image (Emulators can be VERY fickle with regards to this!) or vice versa (I noticed your was doing some very odd things and needed a bit of “Tweaking” to get it to run correctly). If I find the time I will compile it using 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian see if that makes any difference. As for the game launching time I still don’t see how 2-3 seconds makes much difference, but, as previously stated, it’s a personal opinion

Hope That Helps!

kalehrl

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

However, I note you are using a nice “Retro” CRT (Bravo, all those lovely scan lines will be visible without emulation!), this leads me to the conclusion that for sound your using the Analogue output?
I'm not using CRT by choice.
It's the only TV I've got :D
Yes, I use analogue out for sound as well.
There is no way I can use HDMI for sound because I don't have the equipment for that.
I noticed your was doing some very odd things and needed a bit of “Tweaking” to get it to run correctly
I used --enable-alsa when configuring to use alsa instead of SDL because I haven't found a way to install SDL into toolchain yet. Maybe that cause d some problems for you.
I also enabled misc_quiet because the OP suggested so. Everything else was standard.

BBUK

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Guys, if you want a faster load time - here is a dirty hack

In advance/linux/vfb.c about line 965, change the line

#define VSYNC_LIMIT 100000
to read:

#define VSYNC_LIMIT 50
HTH
BBUK

welshy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 pm

FURTHER TESTING, ADVMAME 0.94

O/S Image Used - 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian
RPi Overclock - 900MHz
Self compiled (i.e. without BBUK’s automated script)

ROMS quoted in previous Image Testing (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian, See Above) offer similar performance gains

However, performance at the limits of ROM selection (i.e. games that push the boundaries of what is possible on the RPi Hardware), Paperboy, Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom, Golden Axe, Marble Madness, Super Sprint, Strider and Street Fighter II etc, exhibit gains, but are inferior to 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian

paradiselost

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:32 pm

when i run mamebox.sh i get "bad interpreter: No such file or directory"
I am a newbie by the way
Comp Sci teacher creating a MAME cabinet with his students. They are actually programming some games as well in Python (simple card games and such). Keep updated at http://www.compsciteacher.com

BBUK

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Paradiselost

That would typically be caused by the script being in msdos format rather than linux format. There are three invisible characters at the start of an msdos file which confuse the interpreter.

There is a tool called dos2unix which can remove these characters but (I think) that would have to be installed on your pi. As an alternative, notepad++ runs on windows and has an option to save in linux format.

If you are running X a cut and paste of the text should also work.

BBUK

paradiselost

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 pm

still getting same error when I use Notepad++. I am copying/pasting into Notepad++ and saving as .sh file. Still not working. Driving me nuts, I will try the other program.
Comp Sci teacher creating a MAME cabinet with his students. They are actually programming some games as well in Python (simple card games and such). Keep updated at http://www.compsciteacher.com

paradiselost

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:07 pm

/boot/mamebox.sh
: No such file or directoryd: ~
--2013-02-19 14:03:35-- http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/advancemame/ad vancemame/0.94.0/advancemame-0.94.0.tar.gz%0D
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.5 9|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2013-02-19 14:03:35 ERROR 404: Not Found.
: No such file or directorybin/bash
: No such file or directoryd: ~
--2013-02-19 14:05:23-- http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... .tar.gz%0D
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.59|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2013-02-19 14:05:23 ERROR 404: Not Found.

ARGH!

BBUK

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi Paradiselost.

You still have problems with your line endings being in dos format (see the %0D at the end of the wget lines).

run this

sudo sed -i s/\\r//g /boot/mamebox.sh
and try again...

Return to “Gaming”