Kilo Mike

Wireless connection possibilities between multiple RasPis

Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and also completely new to the Raspberry Pi "universe". For a university project we are trying to let drones fly in a swarming formation.

To realize this we want to a have master drone, which uses a Raspi to broadcast it's current GPS-position wireless to two other slave drones. Every drone will be equipped with a Raspi. The Raspis on the slave drones will use the master drone's coordinates and its own coordinates to calculate a maneuver in order to stay in formation.

The Calculations and connection to autopilot should not be a problem for us. Nevertheless I need some advice/recommendation from you guys on how to realize the data transmission between the master drone and the slave drones. We only need the master drone to send its GPS coordinates and the slave drones to recieve it.

I am new to radio links and have barely any knowledge about them.

Something that could lead to a problem is the telemetry connection between the drones and the ground station. They use a 433 MHz link to up- and download position data and mission updates. So I guess 433 MHz will be blocked for the communication between the Raspis?!

Thanks

Kilo

B.Goode

Re: Wireless connection possibilities between multiple RasPis

Mon May 17, 2021 10:50 am

Kilo Mike wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and also completely new to the Raspberry Pi "universe". For a university project we are trying to let drones fly in a swarming formation.

To realize this we want to a have master drone, which uses a Raspi to broadcast it's current GPS-position wireless to two other slave drones. Every drone will be equipped with a Raspi. The Raspis on the slave drones will use the master drone's coordinates and its own coordinates to calculate a maneuver in order to stay in formation.

The Calculations and connection to autopilot should not be a problem for us. Nevertheless I need some advice/recommendation from you guys on how to realize the data transmission between the master drone and the slave drones. We only need the master drone to send its GPS coordinates and the slave drones to recieve it.

I am new to radio links and have barely any knowledge about them.

Something that could lead to a problem is the telemetry connection between the drones and the ground station. They use a 433 MHz link to up- and download position data and mission updates. So I guess 433 MHz will be blocked for the communication between the Raspis?!

Thanks

Kilo

Over what range do you need to maintain communication?

Is WiFi, built into most models of RPi board, an option?

(Since you are planning to use GPS this is presumably an outdoor exercise, where WiFI is at its unobstructed best.)

Raspberry Pi documentation here -
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -routed.md

A possible configuration might be to set up the 'Queen' drone as a WiFi 'hotspot' and get the 'Drone' drones to associate with it.

Return to “Beginners”