Doctorwho8

What was last known release before Debian included SystemD

Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 am

Hello!
I am still pursuing a project from several years earlier, that of making a TRS-80 Model 102 communicate with a Raspberry Pi properly, and have come to the conclusion that it just might not be possible to make the idea work using a release that contained SystemD to manage things.

When it comes to Linux, I'm from the school that used the earlier methods, and I did make the configuration that ran with Wheezy and even Jessie to work with the TRS-80 Model 102, but the later releases were more difficult.

This also includes being able to download updates if needed. I saw the notation that Wheezy and even Jessie were repointed towards Legacy instead of Archive.

Would someone correct me on this: To make things work I need to find where the product stores its apt-get cache change the location in the repo from Archive (in lower case) to Legacy, (also in lower case)?

Depending on which device the idea ends up running on, I might end up figuring out how to make things work using SystemD, but that gamble is not one I want to try unless necessary.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

fruitoftheloom

Re: What was last known release before Debian included SystemD

Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 am

Doctorwho8 wrote:
Hello!
I am still pursuing a project from several years earlier, that of making a TRS-80 Model 102 communicate with a Raspberry Pi properly, and have come to the conclusion that it just might not be possible to make the idea work using a release that contained SystemD to manage things.

When it comes to Linux, I'm from the school that used the earlier methods, and I did make the configuration that ran with Wheezy and even Jessie to work with the TRS-80 Model 102, but the later releases were more difficult.

This also includes being able to download updates if needed. I saw the notation that Wheezy and even Jessie were repointed towards Legacy instead of Archive.

Would someone correct me on this: To make things work I need to find where the product stores its apt-get cache change the location in the repo from Archive (in lower case) to Legacy, (also in lower case)?

Depending on which device the idea ends up running on, I might end up figuring out how to make things work using SystemD, but that gamble is not one I want to try unless necessary.

Rather than going backwards in time, Devuan does not have SystemD:

https://www.devuan.org
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

jojopi

Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 am

Doctorwho8 wrote:
That is so obviously not impossible.

Looking at your old posts I see a requirement to enable serial getty on a USB UART, and at the non-default baud rate of 4800. Were there other issues?

DougieLawson

Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 am

jojopi wrote:

Looking at your old posts I see a requirement to enable serial getty on a USB UART, and at the non-default baud rate of 4800. Were there other issues?
Enabling getty is trivial with systemd.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

KeithMck

Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am

I second Devuan, if you don't want systemd, but up to date software, & they do have people working on a RPi version.

Doctorwho8

Wed May 12, 2021 2:18 pm

jojopi wrote:
Doctorwho8 wrote:
That is so obviously not impossible.

Hello!
Yes, one of reproducing it. Once I got it working, it needed to stay working. And given the nature of work back here, things were rapidly spiraling upwards to the point where making that work again was difficult but not that much a problem. And I can not find my notes on things.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

Doctorwho8

Wed May 12, 2021 2:20 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 am
jojopi wrote:

Enabling getty is trivial with systemd.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html
Hello!
Yes that was the game plan that I followed. I now believe there was something else not quite right when I tried that again much earlier. But as it happens, I'm going to go down that path. Thank you for reminding me.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

Doctorwho8

Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm

Hello!
I should also mention that if these problems persist, knock on wood might switch to a distribution which is not supported here of course, but does have good support elsewhere.

That is Slackware on ARM. And it shows great promise.
Last edited by Doctorwho8 on Wed May 12, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 12, 2021 4:46 pm

Doctorwho8 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm
Hello!
I should also mention that if these problems persist, knock on wood I might switch to a distribution which is not supported here of course, but does have good support elsewhere.

That is Slackware on ARM. And it shows great promise.

https://sarpi.penthux.net/index.php?p=downloads

Been available for several years...
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”