welshy

Re: Pcsx-Rearmed Bios RetroPie

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Ransak
Emulation Station is just a Front End GUI, you could run the Pcsx_ReARMed Binary and set up the Bios location, then alter the script to run the Binary rather than the RetroArch Core thus it will use the Binary config file by default.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Ransak

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 pm

That's a good idea. Just bypass retroarch all together and execute pcsx directly from emulationstation. I've got some stuff recompiling on my Pi at the moment, as soon as it finishes I'll give it a shot and post back the results. Thanks welshy!
welshy wrote:Ransak
Emulation Station is just a Front End GUI, you could run the Pcsx_ReARMed Binary and set up the Bios location, then alter the script to run the Binary rather than the RetroArch Core thus it will use the Binary config file by default.

welshy

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Ransak
Additionally I've found the Binaries performance is superior to the RetroArch Core in any case!

Ransak

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:29 am

Just a quick update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat as I did. I updated the es_system.cfg file under /home/pi/RetroPie by changing the COMMAND line for PCSX Rearmed to just the binary path of the pcsx executable. PCSX now loads when any game is selected through emulationstation. It doesn't start the selected game (I suspect tinkering with %ROM% arguments might solve that) but it's not a priority for me. Trying to get my Wiimotes working with it on the other hand, is. But at least it's launching!

Edit: And one other quick note. Using the notaz git source, that version does NOT support .7z extensions. Per the readme.txt:

Code: Select all

Supported CD image formats:
- .bin/.cue
- .bin/.toc
- .img/.ccd/.sub
- .mdf/.mds
- .Z/.Z.table
- .bz/.bz.table
- .ZNX/.ZNX.table (partial)
- EBOOT.PBP (PSP, partial)
- .cbn
I didn't bother trying to rename them to the .Z or others, given the Pi doesn't have a lot of horsepower I'm guessing decompressed images might speed things up. I could be wrong, though ;)

welshy

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:28 am

Ransak
'It doesn't start the selected game (I suspect tinkering with %ROM% arguments might solve that)'
You need to add -cdfile into the command line argument

./pcsx -cdfile /'location'/'file' (with file extension)
e.g.
./pcsx -cdfile /home/pi/RidgeRacer/ridgeracer.cue (when using .bin & .cue files its usually advisable to load the .cue for correct emulation (its a metadata file that contains data on how the tracks are laid out in the .bin))

'Using the notaz git source, that version does NOT support .7z extensions'
This is standard when using emulators for optical disc based systems, I don't know of any that can use compressed Images, they need to be extracted.

'but it's not a priority for me. Trying to get my Wiimotes working with it on the other hand, is'
I recall this has been achived from previous posts, search the Forum for the solution.

Ransak

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:01 am

You're correct about the .7z compressed ROMs of course, but there's a number of threads on these forums that say .7z works. I think it's because es_systems.cfg for emulationstation lists .7z as a supported filetype for PCSX. Why, I have no idea since at least with all the versions I've seen it isn't supported and it wouldn't work very well anyway, big file operations slow down the Pi quite a bit :)

I've edited emulationstation to only show .cue files for PCSX. I'm not sure I want to add in the ROM argument since I like the option in PCSX to configure the controls for each game separately. I may try it if it doesn't pass the wife test :D

Setting up the Wiimotes under PCSX was pretty simple since I've had them working with the Pi and other emulators for awhile, here's my config in case anyone goes looking for it. I compiled PCSX from the notaz git source and the configuration file was in /home/pi/.pcsx/pcsx.cfg:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~/.pcsx $ vi pcsx.cfg
... snip
binddev = sdl:Nintendo Wiimote
bind backspace = Fast Forward
bind \xA0 = player1 CIRCLE
bind \xA1 = player1 CROSS
bind \xA2 = player1 TRIANGLE
bind \xA3 = player1 SQUARE
bind \xA4 = player1 L1
bind \xA5 = player1 R1
bind \xA6 = player1 L2
bind \xA7 = player1 R2
bind \xAA = Enter Menu
bind \xA8 = player1 SELECT
bind \xA9 = player1 START
bind up = player1 DOWN
bind down = player1 UP
bind right = player1 RIGHT
bind left = player1 LEFT
bind f1 = Save State
bind f2 = Load State
bind f3 = Prev Save Slot
bind f4 = Next Save Slot
bind f5 = Toggle Frameskip
bind f6 = Take Screenshot
bind f7 = Show/Hide FPS
bind f11 = Toggle fullscreen
... snip
The \xAA is the 'Home' button on the Wiimote Classic and the first controller set up under wminput, this appears to vary however, so you may want to go into the Controls section of PCSX once it's running and set your layout there if the above doesn't work (it also gives the ID of each button being pressed as it's being set up). As you might notice my Wiimote controls while in PCSX are backward (up is down, down is up, it's madness!). It's probably because I used the setup located here, which is a little backward in the mywminput section since the person who wrote it preferred it that way (left handed?). With the above setup the Wiimote Classic controller works normally in game, so I haven't put any time into changing it since it's a very, very minor issue for me.

As a sidenote about the BIOS file, I put it in the PSX ROMs folder and a bios folder under /home/pi/bios and haven't had any issues with it (all lowercase, selected in the PCSX menu and saved global config). With a heat sinked, fan cooled overclocked Pi (using 'High' settings in raspi-config, 'Turbo' was unstable even at low temps) everything I own (about 25 games or so I ripped myself) runs rather respectably. Occasionally I'll notice a slight stutter but I saw those on my aging PS1 anyway :D No idea about the gpu/spu settings in pcsx.cfg so I left them at builtin_*pu and no frameskipping.

Now all I have to do is figure out why Mupen64Plus resists all attempts at using my config files...
'It doesn't start the selected game (I suspect tinkering with %ROM% arguments might solve that)'
You need to add -cdfile into the command line argument

./pcsx -cdfile /'location'/'file' (with file extension)
e.g.
./pcsx -cdfile /home/pi/RidgeRacer/ridgeracer.cue (when using .bin & .cue files its usually advisable to load the .cue for correct emulation (its a metadata file that contains data on how the tracks are laid out in the .bin))

'Using the notaz git source, that version does NOT support .7z extensions'
This is standard when using emulators for optical disc based systems, I don't know of any that can use compressed Images, they need to be extracted.

'but it's not a priority for me. Trying to get my Wiimotes working with it on the other hand, is'
I recall this has been achived from previous posts, search the Forum for the solution.

welshy

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:44 am

Ransak
'You're correct about the .7z compressed ROMs of course, but there's a number of threads on these forums that say .7z works'
Maybe its unique to RetroArch (I would be surprised), but as you say, uncompressing a CD Image 'On The Fly' while also emulating a PlayStation is asking an awful lot of the RPi Hardware!

'With a heat sinked, fan cooled overclocked Pi (using 'High' settings in raspi-config, 'Turbo' was unstable even at low temps)'
Overclocking isn't an exacting science! I've even experienced different maximums depending on the actual CPU, some will O/C higher than others (PSP for example). With most Hardware its down to cooling and the quality of your power supply. Cooling shouldn't be an issue with the RPi at standard O/C settings (selectable in the config), so its probably your PSU.

'Occasionally I'll notice a slight stutter but I saw those on my aging PS1'
Of course, remember this is Emulation! The program is written to EXACTLY copy the functionality of the original Hardware, this is often for technical/timing reasons as well as accuracy. Jeff Vavasour's mentions his incredulity at reviewers moaning about Defender 'Slow Down' in Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits release, when in fact, the original Hardware did! Its in an article about writing an Atari VCS/2600 emulator for Digital Eclipse's Atari Anthology, well worth a read if your interested and can be found Here - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... cting_.php

'Now all I have to do is figure out why Mupen64Plus resists all attempts at using my config files'
Its an alpha and as such many of the components are not fully functional, correct read/write of the config file for keyboard/joypad settings being one of them (although this may have been addressed in the latest build).
Last edited by welshy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

ric_rpi

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:24 am

Ransak

Could you give more details about your mupen64plus config file issue on the WIP page http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=58395. The only config file issue I am aware of is for the gles2n64 plugin (Issue #12).

Ransak

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Sure, I'll post something there today. Odds are it's something that's off with my configs though, not a bug :)
ric_rpi wrote:Ransak

Could you give more details about your mupen64plus config file issue on the WIP page http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=58395. The only config file issue I am aware of is for the gles2n64 plugin (Issue #12).

welshy

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Ransak
I have be leasing with ric_rpi on the latest dev of Mupen64plus-rpi. The keyboard settings now all work correctly but I have found the issue with the config. If changing keyboard/joypad settings on re-initialisation of Mupen it overwrites them with the previous 'Defaults', he is currently looking into the cause.

btack

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:44 am

Sorry to bump this after so long but I'm in the same boat on my pcsx emulator. I just get a blank screen I've tried different BIOS different roms. They all load but not video or audio.

I'm just curious what if anything happened in your situation?

Getting frustrated all my other systems are working great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

NDR008

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Ransak wrote:Yep the pcsx binary I compiled from the notaz git source does run from the command line, just not from emulatorstation which of course launches retroarch. I think I've determined that the BIOS definitely isn't the problem, it has to be either the emulatorstation or retroarch config. Since emulatorstation launches retroarch which in turn launches specific binaries for whatever emulator is being used my guess is it's a config issue in retroarch. I could be wrong but that's my take on how the process works for launching specific emulators, please correct me if I'm wrong :D
I cant advise on the Emulation Station cfg script as I don't use it. However I do use RetroArch, on running and selecting an Image it searches the same folder where the .cue & .bin files are for the Bios. The Binary has to be compiled separately from the Source Code, I find its faster than the RetroArch Core anyway (it has built in OpenGLES (fullscreen) or SDL (640x480) rendering). When running you can either use the Built In GUI to select the Bios and save the config, or put it with the executable and run straight from Command Line. Try running the Pcsx_ReARMed Binary 'Stand Alone', if it then works at least you know its an issue with your Emulation Station Script.
I am not to sure how ES and RetroArch fit together.
I compiled pcsx_rearmed from git source, and copied over to the folders that the RetroPie_setup script would have.

I get the black screen when launched pcsx_rearmed as the psx emulator. I then SSH and if I launch emulationstation again from the SSH, I will get the ES screen on my TV (and also heard the PSX game audio).

This told me that pcsx_rearmed was running but without a screen output.
So I forced it to use some of the video modes (CEA1 or something like that).
Some choices it works, others it doesn't.

As regards to BIOS files - I cannot make sense of it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
PCSX config files are also not being saved.

I can launch pcsx_remastered from the CLI perfectly - and it will find the bioses which are in a linked folder.
But launching PCSX from ES just f**ks it up.

What can I do? Is there a way to make PCSX just launch form ES? should I just make a new PCSX.sh in the ports folder and go that route?

I read somewhere here that people skipped RetroArch. I'd like to understand that better pelase.

Thanks.

NDR008

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Has nobody possibly faced these problems or gained enough knowledge to help me?

shaymez

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:08 am

Putting a an official bios all lower case in the psx folder resolves this issue.

Return to “Gaming”