franklores

Powering from IDE

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:47 am

Hello,

I'm on a little project to fit a RPi inside an old Netgear SC101, I would like to power the RPi using the power adaptor that came with the box. Is it possible to use one of the hdd conectors to do this?

Any help appreciated.

-rst-

Re: Powering from IDE

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:42 pm

IDE power cabling/connector should give 5V on one of the lines, so should be doable - just watch out for the 12V line ;)
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:10 pm

IDE uses separate power plugs. You certainly can't just plug the IDE ribbon cables into the Pi; there's no telling what you would connect to what.

You can find the 5V and 0V cables, put reasonable connectors on them and connect them to the Pi on the GPIO connector. But you need to connect the right wires to the right pins or it is "goodbye Pi".

PeterO

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:36 pm

rurwin wrote:IDE uses separate power plugs. You certainly can't just plug the IDE ribbon cables into the Pi; there's no telling what you would connect to what.

You can find the 5V and 0V cables, put reasonable connectors on them and connect them to the Pi on the GPIO connector. But you need to connect the right wires to the right pins or it is "goodbye Pi".
Or better still, solder wires into TP1 and TP2.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

madman_xxx

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Use power (molex) male plug to connect to existing female socket one. Remove one black and yellow (+12V, dangerous for your Pi!)cable from female socket, should be two pins next to each other now. Black is GND, red is +5V. You can connect it to RPi directly via GPIO interface (see pinout here: http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals). A fuse on the red cable is recommended, but not required (Netgear hardware may already have one).

fancazzista

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:47 am

I've just connected the +5v and Ground cables of the SC101 molex to the GPIO pins on the PI and it worked like a charm. Better still: the WiFi dongle that I'm using is finally working like it should as it seems that the old 5V power supply just couldn't provide enough juice. Next step: install a 350GB IDE hdd (I just have it laying around) via an usb adapter and tuck the PI inside the 2nd bay of the Netgear SC101 (even though I fear that heat might be a problem). Suggestions for cooling?

Cosmicsheep

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi, found your post while looking for information on the Netgear SC101. I too am trying to include a Pi inside the SC101 case. I've soldered a USB connector in place of one of the IDE molex connectors and it is happily providing 5v to power my Pi.
The issue I have is that when I connect the power to the SC101 the remaining HDD is not getting enough juice to spin up unless I unplug the Pi. It will power both devices once the HDD has started up, but not at initial power up. I'm guessing the Pi takes too much of the power at boot.
Did you have a similar issue? If so, how did you get round this? I'm thinking maybe a delay is needed on the Pi connection.

Cosmicsheep

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Ignore my last post. It would appear that I was supplied a 1A supply rather than the original 5A supply. This would explain my lack of power at boot.
Other than that, I think this is going to make a great little project :)
Just got to work out how to wire up the SC101's network port so I can connect it to the Pi ;)

fancazzista

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:42 am

Cosmicsheep wrote:Ignore my last post. It would appear that I was supplied a 1A supply rather than the original 5A supply. This would explain my lack of power at boot.
Other than that, I think this is going to make a great little project :)
Just got to work out how to wire up the SC101's network port so I can connect it to the Pi ;)
I'm glad it worked.

ekonik3

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:58 pm

madman_xxx wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:38 pm
Use power (molex) male plug to connect to existing female socket one. Remove one black and yellow (+12V, dangerous for your Pi!)cable from female socket, should be two pins next to each other now. Black is GND, red is +5V. You can connect it to RPi directly via GPIO interface (see pinout here: http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals). A fuse on the red cable is recommended, but not required (Netgear hardware may already have one).
Glad to Seeing this post... just wanna ask, can we connect the black and red cable directly to mini usb, as my GPIO is already used?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, using the micro-USB port as power input is preferably to using the GPIO pins in any case, as you are not bypassing the polyfuse. do be extremely careful not to reverse the polarity of the input power, so use a multimeter to test if the negative input wire is connected to GND, note that all metal shells of connectors like USB, Ethernet and HDMI are all conveniently connected to GND, so are easy connection posts for your multimeter.

Return to “Other projects”