cancrena

ethernet not working no matter what image i use (solved)

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 pm

hello pi community, i have big problems with ethernet. I've read a lot of other posts but none was really helpful.
first time i installed raspbian everything was going perfectly. later that day, i decided to do a mediacenter with it, just waiting for when i could have more time to do stuff with the pi. so i flashed raspbmc and everything went well. i installed transmission, and configured samba. was doing most of the things through ssh. after watching a movie, i noticed neither ssh nor transmission web interface were working, so i rebooted the pi and BOOM. no networking.

reflashing raspbmc, just to find out that it took an insane amount of time for the raspberry to be able to connect for the image download (and several reboots). but after the install, no network communications.

so i tried to reflash raspbian, hoping everything would be fixed since it was working well and it has more support.

tried then archlinux, a couple of raspbian releases (custom/optimized), raspbian again, but no network at all.

nothing has changed by my side. same ethernet cable, same power supply, same router, same everything.

i'm fearing something hardware-side has broken. is there a way to establish it?

Jim JKla

Re: ethernet not working no matter what image i use

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm

If your mouse and keyboard are working of the normal USB sockets then it partialy eliminates the Networking chip because I believe it also runs the USB ports if those USB ports are running you could get a fix with a micro usb dongle they are available from ebay about £5.

From your description obviously it could be network cable it could be the port on your router does everything on the RPi work in the minimalist way (TV Mouse Keyboard Power setup).

I don't doubt your problem just trying to figure where the problem lies.

And when you say BOOM I am hoping it was a rhetorical BOOM and not a real life FlashBang BOOM! ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

cancrena

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 pm

hehe yeah that was rethorical ;)

mouse and keyboard working perfectly...

by the way, tried with a shorter cable on 2 other different ethernet ports of my router, but nothing changed :(
looking at the lan status of the web interface of my router, i see he does see raspberrypi and list it in the network devices connected. what i think it's going on is his DHCP trying to push the address to the PI. after more or less a minute the PI is not listed anymore, and i think it's because it receive no response from it. it does this even if i set up a fixed ip for the "raspberrypi" device. if i try to ping my router from the pi in these cases, i receive a "network is unreachable"
i tried to configure a static ip from /etc/network/interfaces. in this case my router shows the device as "----" and gives the ip i set up on the pi as static. the "----" thing means that the router has no clue about the device name. in this case if i try to ping my router (or my pc) from the PI, the ping script keeps running but no packet reaches the host.

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

I assume you have tried to ping the RPi static address from your PC. Not by name but by IP address.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

cancrena

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 pm

yes i did. 100% packets lost...

i always do everything by ip inside my network, it's easier for me to remember them, rather than the names. the device name thing i was mentioning is simply something related to my router and i cannot do anything about it (but it uses the names only if i fix an ip for them on the DHCP server on the router itself, and for port forwarding)

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 pm

It is sounding like you have a dead ethernet port on your RPi

Try a PM to "Gert van Loo" he's the gertboard man he may know a way to test or may know who to ask. Just an idea.

cancrena

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 pm

thank you very much for your advice!

before PMing him, your doubts about the problem being gateway-side and not PI-side made me remember that i've got another spare router/gateway here somewhere. tomorrow i will set up a NAT with it, connect my PI and my laptop and see if something changes. i'll get back with updates ;)

drgeoff

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Apologies if this sounds patronising, but are you sure the plug on the ethernet cable is fully pushed into the RPi's socket?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:01 pm

If the system boots (and thus has initialized the ethernet chip, or at least attempted to do so), and you plug in an ethernet cable connected to a working ethernet port (from a NAS etc). Then at least the connect LED should go on. That is the one marked LNK! If not the ethernet chip is not working!
Could be a defective ethernet transformer, or cable, or whatever other potential problem that causes the network chip not to receive network signals, or not to respond to them.
As the same chip also is used as an USB hub, and actually uses the very same 50MHz clock signal, the fact that USB is working means that the LAN9512 chip itself is largely working, but if no ethernets LEDs (for "linked", "full duplex", or "100Mbps") go on the ethernet port is defective!

cancrena

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

drgeoff wrote:Apologies if this sounds patronising, but are you sure the plug on the ethernet cable is fully pushed into the RPi's socket?
unfortunately yes, i'm sure
although i wish it was that simple :) but you gave me the idea for another test: i'll try with wireless, so if it doesn't work, i can begin thinking about the DHCP service of my router being somehow crappy/bad implemented, am i right?

@mahjongg: all the leds turn on, on the PI, you say the chances of PI hardware being faulty are very low? this is a BIG relief! thank you!

drgeoff

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 pm

My reading of the symptoms suggests some intermittency. After the first networking failure the OP re-installed Raspbmc, apparently using the method of only flashing a 'mini OS' which then downloads the full Raspbmc from a server on the internet. That seemed to succeed (with some difficulty?) but after rebooting to use the 'full OS' the network didn't work.

cancrena

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 pm

drgeoff wrote:My reading of the symptoms suggests some intermittency. After the first networking failure the OP re-installed Raspbmc, apparently using the method of only flashing a 'mini OS' which then downloads the full Raspbmc from a server on the internet. That seemed to succeed (with some difficulty?) but after rebooting to use the 'full OS' the network didn't work.
exactly. after flashing the "mini OS" with the raspBMC windows tool, booting gave me this error bofore or shortly after the beginning of the OS download:

Code: Select all

[   44.865966] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC5E1
[   45.740222] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link down
[   47.350346] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC5E1
[   48.168857] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link down
[   49.778982] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC5E1
[   50.605487] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link down
and kept spamming this until giving up. after a couple of reboots (or more) it actually was able to stay connected long enough to download the whole image.

that was the last sign of networking i've seen from my PI, except the appearance on my "connected device list" in the router...
note: this kind of output was seen only with raspBMC, while the automated set up was running. i don't know if and how i can recreate that output/condition under raspbian...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 pm

cancrena wrote: @mahjongg: all the leds turn on, on the PI, you say the chances of PI hardware being faulty are very low? this is a BIG relief! thank you!
Unfortunately for you I didn't say, of even imply that. What I said was that if none of the LED's would light up the ethernet functionality of your PI would definitely be broken! Which in itself would be strange because most of the time when that is the case the USB connectivity also doesn't work. :(

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 pm

That was my thought exactly Mahjong if the Ethernet chip was dead it would drag the USB with it.

Look into the ethernet port on the RPi make shure all eight contact wires are straight and alligned.

ap3197

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 am

cancrena wrote:hello pi community, i have big problems with ethernet. I've read a lot of other posts but none was really helpful.
first time i installed raspbian everything was going perfectly. later that day, i decided to do a mediacenter with it, just waiting for when i could have more time to do stuff with the pi. so i flashed raspbmc and everything went well. i installed transmission, and configured samba. was doing most of the things through ssh. after watching a movie, i noticed neither ssh nor transmission web interface were working, so i rebooted the pi and BOOM. no networking.

reflashing raspbmc, just to find out that it took an insane amount of time for the raspberry to be able to connect for the image download (and several reboots). but after the install, no network communications.

so i tried to reflash raspbian, hoping everything would be fixed since it was working well and it has more support.

tried then archlinux, a couple of raspbian releases (custom/optimized), raspbian again, but no network at all.

nothing has changed by my side. same ethernet cable, same power supply, same router, same everything.

i'm fearing something hardware-side has broken. is there a way to establish it?
Have you got a wireless adaptor? If so, you could use that instead.
From ap3197.

M_P

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 am

If you have another computer kicking around with a known good NIC, you can try setting a static on it and on the RPi and connect them directly via a crossover (or regular Ethernet cable if your computer does auto-MDIX). Then you're taking the port, switch brain, and switch power supply out of the equation.

You could even force the NIC on the PC to any mix of 10/100 or full/half duplex just to see if any particular link type works. Might give you some more information to troubleshoot with.

cancrena

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:50 am

big news: i connected the pi to another gateway/router and everything works fine. i succesfully established a ssh connection with it from my laptop.

i'm sorry guys, if i thought of trying this earlier i'd save you all time. i can safely exclude that the problem is pi-side so please tell me if i should seek for help and hints elsewhere :)

now i strongly suspect the problem is by my router side, because, even though i'm connecting my pi to it with a 5m long ethernet cable, the issue still remained with a 1m ethernet cable and on a different router ethernet port. that port is actually working because i usually use it for my laptop when i need it.

edit: i will now try to test the wifi. in this way i should be able to establish if the problem on the router is hardware-based or if its a fault in his firmware. i've got several wireless usb adapter, which chipset is best for the raspbian? or better: are both atheros and ralink chipsets natively supported by raspbian or should i get drivers?

malakai

Re: ethernet not working no matter what image i use (solved)

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 am

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters

Choice is yours some support AP or Master so you can setup your own hot spot. They are pretty much plug and play choice is yours which you go with. Try the lower power consumption and you can bypass a powered hub for headless operation just don't plug them in when the Pi is powered up it typically reboots my Pi but if in when booting no issues.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

drgeoff

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:20 pm

M_P wrote:If you have another computer kicking around with a known good NIC, you can try setting a static on it and on the RPi and connect them directly via a crossover (or regular Ethernet cable if your computer does auto-MDIX).
For the benefit of M_P and anyone else coming upon this later, the RPi's ethernet port is autosensing. A straight or crossed ethernet cable will work regardless of the other computer's capability in that respect.

kult0007

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 pm

I had the same problem this morning. Sure is frustrating!

I think what's happening (based on circumstantial evidence) is that the router's DHCP is fouling up. I had my pi set to a static IP. Networking was working fine...then it spontaneously quit working while loading TV shows to my library from my NAS. I even re-imaged Raspbmc on the SD card and ried swapped it out with Raspbian, but no network on either. The new Raspbmc installation kept hanging up while waiting for a network address to be assigned. During these reconnection attempts, the router was inaccessible to the rest of my wired and wireless devices.

Solution: I removed the Raspberry Pi from my list of static IP's in my router (D-Link DIR-615 running DD-WRT build 14896) and the new Raspbmc install was automatically assigned an IP address during installation. It's chugging along thru installation right now.

jamep

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:10 pm

I have had a similar experience. I had been using using raspbmc as a media server for a few weeks with no problems. A few weeks ago, the on-board networking stopped working. Other USB devices continue to work without any problems.

The symptom I get is that the link is never 'up'. The three networking lights on the RPI are initially off, until I unplug the network cable and reinsert it. They then all turn on, but still no link. With my old router the link light flashes very rapidly, but the RPI still reports no link, DHCP and static addresses don't get it working.

I swapped out the RPI for another one which had Arch Linux on it and that was able to connect to the network. So I then swapped the SD card on the second RPI for the raspbmc one resulting in no networking with identical symptoms.

Since then, I have tried my existing Arch linux SD card and a fresh Raspbian “wheezy” SD image downloaded today and no change. The on-board ethernet on both RPIs are now unusable.

I have tried multiple power supplies, ethernet cables, SD cards. I have tried connecting the RPIs directly to the router, to my old router, through two different switches and directly to my laptop (both crossover and straight cables). None of these worked.

I can use an external USB ethernet device successfully and as far as I can tell the RPIs are otherwise working correctly. I can't see any obvious damage to the PCB, bad soldering etc.

Has anyone any ideas?

Stef

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Same problem here. No ethernet connection from RB Pi.
USB is working, but can't connect to NAS of internet in any way.
Hopefully somebody has an solution for this.

Stef

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:08 am

This is what I did to solve it here.

- Shut down Raspberry Pi (remove power supply)
- Remove RJ45 plug from Raspberry Pi
- Shut down Router
- Start Router
- Plug in RJ45 plug into Raspberry Pi
- Start Raspberry Pi (plug in power supply)

stardemos

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:22 pm

hello, i've a similar problem in my pi b 512mb, no ethernet but, fdx, link and 100M leds are always on, can someone help?

Kratos

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Hey, here's how I solved this problem:

1. Turn off your pi (sudo halt)
2. Unplug your router
3. Plug in your router
4. Wait about 2 minutes
5. Turn on your pi
6. If it still doesn't work try:
sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0
7. That's it! :ugeek:

-Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Return to “Troubleshooting”